Buying advice GX470 2004 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a good month or two while looking for GX470 and catching up on a vast amount of discussions about the vehicle here in general. Now looks like there is a promising lead in town that I am going to look at: dealer trade-in, 175K miles, maintained at local Lexus dealership (not the same as the one selling it though). Dealer is asking $11500.
I'm not sure if it has KDSS (how do I tell based on VIN?). It does have dreaded ML+Nav though which I will probably replace with Android later on (I'm pretty comfortable with electrical work). The dash has not been replaced so I'll check for cracks...

So I just wanted some opinions on price... I was looking to spend ~10K so this is a bit more than I budgeted but I'll see how test drive goes.

Highlights from Lexus service history:
150K - airbag control module replaced (recall)
135K - alignment. Replaced all CV boots, radiator, front lower control arms.
130K - replaced rear suspension airbags
130K - replaced all shocks and struts, brake pads
90K - 90K service done
All periodic services done (oil changes etc)

Based on mileage I will have to do another 90K service soon but beside that I'm not sure what else to look for.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I will become more active in discussion soon once the vehicle is procured :)

Yup. It is then... but the plan is to delete it anyway later. Looks like airbags were replaced 40K ago.

Yup. It is then... but the plan is to delete it anyway later. Looks like airbags were replaced 40K ago.

Very cool. Harder to find!

Did you check to see if the dash is cracked or was replaced? I know it's only cosmetic....

If you test drive, see if you have the drive shaft clunk. Both are common known issues. Good luck.

Where are you located? I am getting ready to put my built 2004 GX470, 146,xxx miles up for sale...

So looks like this one is a no go for what they asking $.
Transfer case is leaking and it can possibly be a full replacement for about $2k from local reputable service shop. It also needs 90k service soon.
Unless they go for $8500 at least I rather keep looking.

Located in MO. It is a DD and regular maintenance has been done. Feel free to call, text five7three429two272 or email pjoyner731 at gmail dot com For more details or photos. $12,750 would be a good firm starting point. Voodoo Cruisers LLC, in Southern IL, has done the majority of the up fitting and maintenance. Timing belt and water pump completed at 106,619. 146,553 is on the odometer now. No KDSS and has been converted from NAV to non-NAV.

7DAE7AFA-E52F-40DF-84FA-AF40ABE88D48.jpeg

46F0939B-C7B1-459F-879B-1A36C54AFA6C.jpeg

Last edited:
And that's was kind of funny today... I'm laying under the truck at the dealership inspecting the goods and the original owner pulls up in her new $50K Infiniti SUV that she got at this dealership after trading in this GX. Started preaching that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and yada yada. But I can damn well guarantee that she got the quote somewhere else for leaky transfer case and upcoming 90K maintenance and probably said "F* it I'm getting myself a new car..." She'll probably drive it till death does them apart like she drove this GX for 15 years.

I'll take this one as a learning experience and keep looking.

Wouldn't doubt it... but the point here is "make it mine" process :) so I'll get a "soccer mom's" truck for starters.

No worries at all. Absolutely understand about making it your own. The wife upgraded from her 06 GX470 to a 13 GX460. I’m taking over the 06 and putting the 04 “Hooty” up for sale. Saw your post and thought could save you the hassle of the initial upgrades. Still plenty of upgrading left on this one. You will find what your are looking for.

I think KDSS has a big cylindrical rubber bellows connected to the front axle assembly if you are trying to identify it. The ML audio works great with the Android head unit. Mine had ML 6 disk with nav and it was plug and play. Most gx's now have close to 200K miles on them so if you find one with less miles consider it luck. Get one that is documented well maintained. Desert areas have rust free examples.

I think KDSS has a big cylindrical rubber bellows connected to the front axle assembly if you are trying to identify it. The ML audio works great with the Android head unit. Mine had ML 6 disk with nav and it was plug and play. Most gx's now have close to 200K miles on them so if you find one with less miles consider it luck. Get one that is documented well maintained. Desert areas have rust free examples.
Yeah. We definitely don't have any rust issues here.

Well.... "Buckethead" was acquired today. $6K for 2003 model - 224K mi, no-nav, no 3rd row, no tow pkg. Leather is dried but not too awful.
Belt was done at 180K, front suspension needs a refresh (CV boot torn on one side, LBJs bushings are gone). T-case looks dry... not sure of actuator seals.
Has not looked under the hood very much yet but pretty sure steering has a leak. Overall for what I paid for it I think it is not so terrible.

Sounds like a good truck. New leather seat bottoms on eBay are ~$180 or so - might really spruce it up inside.

Sounds like a good truck. New leather seat bottoms on eBay are ~$180 or so - might really spruce it up inside.
I may try to go with restore attempt. Watched some YouTube videos so I'll try that first. They are using LVP spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom