Buying a high mileage 09, what to watch out for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm close to buying an 09 Land Cruiser with 190,000 miles. What should I be looking for as warning signs... what items may need to be replaced soon? Is it a risky investment with such high mileage?

How has the 200 series faired as far as longevity and mechanical failures around the 200,000 miles mark?

Anyone with experience or words of wisdom for a potential buyer?

(I would be using this for an international overlanding trip and reliability is the highest priority!)

Thanks!

If you’ve not already done it, check out the the FAQ threads on buying. If you scroll down a bit there are several that may be of help in the Thinking of Buying section. Other than those, just good basic pre-purchase inspection as you would do for any vehicle, including full review of the use history and care history. And, as noted in other threads, be especially alert to flooded vehicles right now; there were many, many vehicles underwater this year that will hit the markets.
200-series FAQ

My 09 has 165k miles, no issues since I've owned it from 110k miles. Recently another mudder drove it and guessed it had 30k miles.

Rust is the only thing I strongly recommend looking out for.

Dealer is asking $28,900 for an 09 with 190k miles.
Do you guys think that's a fair price?

price seems a little high, unless there is Zero rust and 100% maintenance records.
if the following items have been replaced maybe worth asking price: water pump, radiator, starter, check for cam tower leak.
if it is not a southern rust free truck, check the KDSS valves for rust. if they get rusted shut you could be in for a world of hurt if trying to install a lift.
just for reference: 3 yrs ago, I paid 28K for an 08 with 140K, awesome maintenance records, but with cosmetic bumps and scrapes on bumpers and spoiler.

You found a great deal!

This one I'm looking at is a one owner from Texas. Carfax is clean. Shows drive belts were recently replaced and regular oil changes but no other information. Dealer is worthless for other info. They just want to sell. Some minor dents.

You found a great deal!

This one I'm looking at is a one owner from Texas. Carfax is clean. Shows drive belts were recently replaced and regular oil changes but no other information. Dealer is worthless for other info. They just want to sell. Some minor dents.

You'll want to put the VIN into the Toyota Owner's page to see any dealer maintenance.

www.toyota.com/owners/login

It’s been there for about 2 months, think they would start coming down on price.

Yeah those wheels need swapped out. Otherwise would be an affordable base for a build.

Been heavily smoked in too.

Did I mention the 09 for sale (190k $28,900) has ARB bumpers and an aftermarket roof rack installed already?

Do you guys think that price is reasonable (assuming no leaks or obvious issues)?

I know those ARB bumpers aren't cheap.

I'm just hesitant to buy something with such high mileage at that price with no warranty.

I'm just hesitant to buy something with such high mileage at that price with no warranty.

Ding ding! That is always the issue with the LC's. IMHO, it should be closer to 100k miles for close to $30k, but that does not take into account the bumpers and roof rack (assuming you wanted them).

Thoughts:

1. Buy a lower mile, verified service history LC for the same money (as already stated by others).
  2. If able, spend more for a vehicle with a warranty, like a CPO.
  3. Or, buy the one that has caught your eye, see how low they will go on price, are you a gabling man?
Some will say it's a LC, no warranty needed. Search and see the amount of issues with the 200 series. Add to that the expense of repairs and parts, a warranty might be worth it (though not all warranties are created equal).

I bought my '08 LX with 45k on it. It now has 112k on it. I'd replaced the starter at 80k. PITA. I have a 4LO shifting gremlin that appears when it's cold out, but other than that I have only spent money on gas and soapy water.

I haven't heard of the cam tower leak on 08-09 models. I get the feeling it's confined to a couple of months in the later years. Apparently an assembly line problem with some dirty fingers.

It's a dealership...they should probably all be fired. They don't hire geniuses.

Thanks for posting the ad for the truck I was considering buying. I intentionally did not post it here to avoid another Land Cruiser enthusiast buying it out from under me.

Land Cruisers usually sell very slowly in this area. Now, with the most popular land cruiser forum on the internet eyeballing it I'm sure it will sell faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom