Buying 06 LX470 with minimal service history ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, i wanted to get some options on buying a 06 LX470 with minimum service history. I have been looking to purchase a 06-07 lx470 for a few months now. I'm located on the East Coast, so most have started to rust away and go cosmetically. For that reason i have widen my search to within 500 miles.

I have found a 06 with 140k in the color i have been looking for. The LX is about 450miles from me. The LX has no rust or cosmetic issues.

Now my concern is that the service history is minimal according to the Carfax report. The only big service showing up is timing belt/ Timing belt tensioner/idler replaced/water pump at 136k miles. The carfax shows that this service was done at a lexus dealership and was the "recommended services". The dealership selling the LX changed front & rear brakes along with oil change. They also did a 100 point inspection. The dealership offering the LX is a bigger dealership and not a small tiny one that gets most inventory for auctions. I would prefer buying from a bigger dealership over a smaller one.

So, Is this a safe LX to buy considering it was just at a lexus dealership and had its "recommened service" done, along with the 100 point inspection buy the dealership selling it ?

Any and all opions would be greatly appreciated !

140K is just broken in.

Run the VIN at Lexus Owners Site | Lexus Drivers you may find more info.

During inspection look above the 6 lube points on propeller shafts for caked on grease. Grease slung off spiders & slip yoke grease points is good clue it's been properly maintained.

As others have said, check the service history on the Lexus website with the vin. Anyone that takes their LX470 to a Lexus dealership for a timing belt service is probably getting other maintenance done there too. And maintence cost proabably wasn't a concern for them. Get it inspected before buying and you'll be fine.

Truth of the matter is, as long as it's had a few oil changes in it's lifetime, there's really nothing else that would be "negected" at 140k. With the lack of records, see if you can negotiate some service items into the deal like AHC fluid flush, transmission/transfer case/diff fluid change, brake fluid, and coolant. None of those are that expensive or time consuming for a dealer/tech but it would be one less thing to worry about or have to do yourself in the near future.

140K is just broken in.

Run the VIN at Lexus Owners Site | Lexus Drivers you may find more info.

During inspection look above the 6 lube points on propeller shafts for caked on grease. Grease slung off spiders & slip yoke grease points is good clue it's been properly maintained.

@JACA i will set up an account and hopefully more service is found.

I will ask for pictures of the 6 lube points !

Truth of the matter is, as long as it's had a few oil changes in it's lifetime, there's really nothing else that would be "negected" at 140k. With the lack of records, see if you can negotiate some service items into the deal like AHC fluid flush, transmission/transfer case/diff fluid change, brake fluid, and coolant. None of those are that expensive or time consuming for a dealer/tech but it would be one less thing to worry about or have to do yourself in the near future.

Yes, i spoke with the salesman in regards to pricing. He told me price is firm. They use "true market" pricing. So, i will be trying to negotiate some minor services if i can. Im ready for the "we did 100 point inspection", the truck needs nothing" reply lol.

As others have said, check the service history on the Lexus website with the vin. Anyone that takes their LX470 to a Lexus dealership for a timing belt service is probably getting other maintenance done there too. And maintence cost proabably wasn't a concern for them. Get it inspected before buying and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately its a 3 owner car,
First owner owned it up to 14k miles
Second owner up untill 125k miles
Third owner up untill 140k miles. The third owner did timing belt package at lexus.

Also, price is about $20k plus tax. Is this about right for a 06 in good cosmetic shape with Nav and back up camera ?

I think it's high. Unless your an above average DI yourselfer. @20 you need to be able to not spend a dime on it to run for a good year or more. There's so much an average buyer wont notice until two months after purchase. @ 12 months you're out 20 plus tax. Plus things that are broken, wrong, and then the extras that shouldn't count in the grand scheme of it all.
I don't think any 100 is worth more than 20k above the 100k mile mark.
Everyone needs a hobby though so if you like it and can swing it, then get it. It doesn't matter how much you spend on your car.
I could send you a list of things I should have checked on my 06' LC but I won't write it here.

Most important/biggest job is the timing belt and that's been done. I picked my 2001 up last month from the original owner and it had 139k on it and these folks were well off, put upwards of $20k into it with repairs and maintenance. The husband swore up and down that "these things don't need timing belts" so they had never gotten it done. We looked in the owner's manual together and he was shocked. But other than the timing belt, regular fluid changes are what's most important. Definitely get the AHC system checked by an independent mechanic who knows about those systems, not just anyone.

They may say their price is firm but until a serious offer is on the table, they have no reason to budge. Whip out the checkbook and I'm sure they'll budge. You should also have it inspected, that will definitely turn up some negotiating room. Whether or not $20k is too much depends on where you are and what else is around you. Not the greatest deal but certainly not the most expensive either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom