Buncha questions about 92 TLC dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
::)

Hi Fellows, I am new to this board nd the world of TLC's. Recently bought (3 mo ago) a 92 with lotsa miles (140K) but in good condition. I have opened the front dash at least 20 times during last month to install a stereo and am now having some problems with warning lights.

1. The brake light does not light up if ebrake is pulled. It does turn on when truck is started. I would like to check the brake switch, but dont know how to remove the cover around the brake handle.

2. I have lost my 4wheel light (axle lock light also) when in 4Lo. Also does that button light up when lights are turned on?

3. The bulb in fan area is out. I have disected the damn thing but still cannot get the bulb out. Is there a way to take out the climate control block?

4. Does the rear window defrost button light up with lights? Its kinda dark in my truck in that area.

5. I would like to add a third brake light to my truck. Anyone done that to a 92? Any "perfect fits" from another vehicle?

Any help be appreciated. thanks guys.

:-[ I think I can help on some of this stuff. I have had my dash out a few times to do a few things. First, do you have an FSM? If not, get one, ASAP!!!
1. E-brake light. The switch is right under the ebrake actuator. Just remove th vinyl cover. It is only attached w/velcro and stuffed under the edge of the carpet. The switch is just a contact type that either open or closed. I would guess that it either came loose, is corroded or a frayed wire. Easy to get to and easy fix, even cheap to replace. The only thing it does besides light up, is it is part of the Cruise Control safety system. If there is a problem with that switch the CC won't engage.
2. Had the same problem. I had to "exercise" the diff-lock switch for awhile to get it to work due to lack of use. Take it somewhere you can lock it up and listen for the center diff to engage ( windows down, all other stuff off). If you can hear it and feel it engage then it the indicator. Take out the instrument panel and replace bulb. If you can't hear or feel lock up, it could be the actuator or the connector. Clean the connection and try again. It may take a little while (mult tries) to get it work depending on how long it has not been used.
3. Just did this last weekend. You need to take out the entire bottom trrim panel (that has the ashtray, rr heater, ignition, etc.) Can't remember how many screws(about 6), be careful of the molded tabs. The A/C-heater control panel just comes off with lock tabs. There is a clear plastic cover over the bulb socket, remove that cAREFULLY. The bulb/s are behind there. You might try a pair of needle nose pliers with tape wrapped around each prong to avoid damaging the the littlePITA green sleeve that is over the bulb. I don't have a part # for the bulb/s but they are about 5$ a piece.
4. Yes all the dash buttons are lighted, and have replacement bulbs in them.
Few side notes:
Welcome to the board
91-92 FJ80's RULE!
C-Dan (AKA Cruiserdan) is THE DEFINITIVE parts guru! Just ask, or order ALL from him.
Hope I at least pointed you in the right direction.
Try setting up your signature line with your cruiser info, IE mileage, year, any modifications. This will speed up the troubleshooting.

:D Thanks there Seminole. I appreciate your quick reply. Yiou seem to be very familiar with the "rocking" 91-92's. I bought mine because I knew TLCs were legendary. Afterwars found out about the diff between 91/92 and the 93/97 series. Oh Well, I don't drag race with mine and the only thing towed with it is my two kids under the age 5 so I am very happy with it. It is a solid machine and I have learned to love it for what it is.

For the questions, here is some more info: The 4wd works, period. The center diff lock switch also engages and locks but what is bothering me is that both 4wd green light and center diff lock light is not lighting up.

I will look into switches to see why they are not lighting up either, its kinda annoying because the antenna(which offcourse has a broken belt or whatever moves it) sometimes lights up (the up sid) and then some days the down button will light too.

I appreciate the piece about ebrake. I will definitely look into that and most probably its corroded. However the cruise control works well still.

I am wondering that couple months ago, I tried to take the dash out but couldn't because its not electronic. There was a hard cable attached to the speedo which I could not figure how to get out and then plugged the wires back into the dash-meter. I am wondering if I forgot to plug something back which made the 4wd related lights disengaged. but then I figure that these are just light bulbs and not hooked with harnesses???? any ideas?

I will try to remove the climate control again. Ha Ha Ha :whoops: - I have already schkrewed the PITA green sleeve by pulling it out with a needle nose plier (should have read posts first). I accidently pushed the bulb backwards and it got pushed out of its socet behind the climate control. Now I cannot get the climate control out. Can I get that sleeve somewhere or should just paint my bulb green ;)

Mobi,

C-Dan gave me the following part numbers for the green sleeves:

90339-04014 fits the tiny indicator bulbs
90339-09004 fits the 158/192/194 size bulbs

They're available through C-Dan so give him a PM if you need to order a few.
-B-

:) Kool. Thanks for the part numbers. I am gonna stop at local toy dealer to see if he has them and for how much. Does C-dan work for a toyota place???? I see him all over the board. Appears to be a real knowledgable and nice guy. What is PM? How do I do it?

AND YES! Your suspician about the buttons was right, most of the top panel buttons(half antenna, defogger, etc) have burnt out bulbs. I wonder how much those bulbs and their grey bases cost to light up those buttons. I hate dealerships, but cannot find these suckers at any local parts store.

Still dunno why no lights on dash light up when I go 4lo, used to get a greed 4wd light and an orange difflock light on the speedo. Vehicle still goes into 4wd and locks but no lights :(

Hmmmm,
Hates dealerships :'( .

yes, I'm all over the place, like horse poop after the parade. :rolleyes:

PM is private message. Click on the green Icon under the member name and you can send a private message. You view your private messages by clicking on the upper RH corner of the screen where it says "hey xyz123 you have x messages."

Mobi,
C-Dan won't make enough to feed his dogs if you're just ordering a few green sleeves so my suggestion is to add a TRD supercharger to the order list. And since it won't fit on your 3FE, I'll be glad to "hold" it for you until you upgrade to the 1FZ-FE.
:D
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom