Bull Bar Crash Engineering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Cool bit I came across. TJM just went way up in my book seeing actual impact analysis and engineering going on behind the scenes when they create a bull bar. Doesn't hurt that the bar on Shauno's new 200-series build looks great.

Man, makes me want to get one. I have 2 issues: rust, do these rust in salty wintery areas? How bad does it hurt speed? For example I like cruising at 80mph and I dont feel it in stock 200. I imagine with this on you feel like you are going 80mph because of the amount of wind pushing back. Anyone want to elaborate on their experience? This is the one mod I have been itching to do but get cold feet last second. My cruiser feels naked without one but I dont know if Id like the drawbacks.

Man, makes me want to get one. I have 2 issues: rust, do these rust in salty wintery areas? How bad does it hurt speed? For example I like cruising at 80mph and I dont feel it in stock 200. I imagine with this on you feel like you are going 80mph because of the amount of wind pushing back. Anyone want to elaborate on their experience? This is the one mod I have been itching to do but get cold feet last second. My cruiser feels naked without one but I dont know if Id like the drawbacks.
I will let you know. I just finish installing mine this past weekend. Just some driving around town so far. Don't have any data on MPG or how it feels on the interstate yet. I still need to adjust my BP-51's for this addition.

IMG_1610.jpg

Looks awesome! The only reason I want a 2016+ LC is for the sexy TJM bullbar. Early models don't get the sleek version.

TJM warranty is 3yrs so should cover corrosion , ARB was really bad with there powder coating for a while , not sure if they got the coatings straighten out .
I have a TJM T13 siting on the shelf going on my build in a few weeks .
Only negative I see with the TJM T13 was the winch mounting , the winch mounts feet down unlike ARB feet forward and gives a little more winch options .
I buy a lot of winches and only 2 real options for me was the Zeon 12 Platinum and the Warn 9.5 XP which some may say its a little on the light side , I picked up a new 9.5 locally and did the control pack and should be fine for my application .
I have a M12 with hitch mounting plate just in case I use on most of my 4x4’s , just have to run a power connector to the rear of my LC

Love to see stuff like this. I asked the same type of question for heat concerns around skid plates and got a fantastic answer for BudBuilt in regards to how they did temp testing. Excellent!

Good looking bumper. I've been considering one on my 2021. Anyone have one on a late model year they can share pics of? Thanks

Good looking bumper. I've been considering one on my 2021. Anyone have one on a late model year they can share pics of? Thanks
This is a late model. MY19 same as your MY21.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

I will let you know. I just finish installing mine this past weekend. Just some driving around town so far. Don't have any data on MPG or how it feels on the interstate yet. I still need to adjust my BP-51's for this addition.

View attachment 2608243
More pics please. 😎

How is a the BP-51 standard 20mm set handle the weight ? Do you need more or Less Preload ?
Its a little bit of a pain in the butt you have to compress the spring on the BP-51 shock then adjust the lock ring .
I’m BP-51 , TJM , Bud built with stainless skids , warn 9.5 syn , going dual battles .
My understanding the BP springs are 750 lb springs and the BP are preset at 20mm for the bumper and winch .

Looks great. What did you do to suspension to accommodate the extra weight of bumper and winch?
I have the BP-51. I believe I have a 20mm preset, which is ARB recommendation for a bumper and winch, so I adjusted the rebound and compression on the shocks. I set them to 8 and 6 on the front and the back is at 7 and 5, with the 23 springs in the back. I don't have a bumper on the rear yet but I do have a Trekboxx and fridge in the back with a fair number of tools and other gear.

How is a the BP-51 standard 20mm set handle the weight ? Do you need more or Less Preload ?
Its a little bit of a pain in the butt you have to compress the spring on the BP-51 shock then adjust the lock ring .
I’m BP-51 , TJM , Bud built with stainless skids , warn 9.5 syn , going dual battles .
My understanding the BP springs are 750 lb springs and the BP are preset at 20mm for the bumper and winch .
Yes the preset for a bumper and winch is 20mm. Mine was set at 20mm already so I did not need to change that. I have the 23 springs in the rear. I did not take any measurements, so I can not comment on any change in height in the front. Your set-up is basically about the same as mine. So far I think the 20mm preset is about right. I will need to play with the rebound and compression setting a little to fine tune it. The fronts are easy to adjust the R&C on. The rears are little bit of a pain.

Just about what I am going to run , I have 2723 rears as well , I’m doing a rear bumper just waiting on Slee to restock , my back up choice is a Kaymar .
I see your running BF 285/70r17 how much room do you have with TJM tire wise , what wheel offset ?
I’m doing the RW just have to narrow down what tire size , I know the BF’s run A little small .

Just about what I am going to run , I have 2723 rears as well , I’m doing a rear bumper just waiting on Slee to restock , my back up choice is a Kaymar .
I see your running BF 285/70r17 how much room do you have with TJM tire wise , what wheel offset ?
I’m doing the RW just have to narrow down what tire size , I know the BF’s run A little small .
I will most likely do a Dissent rear bumper. I have never had any rubbing with this tire and wheel combination. The Icons have a 25mm offset. I don't think I would have a problem going to the next size up and most likely will with the next set of tires.

Stupid Q…is TJM same as ARB??

No, they are different companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom