Building A Trailer from A Truck Bed, Have A couple Of Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To keep the spring close to the frame you could drill through the frame or weld on top of the frame with a longer shackle that would not lift the trailer more. Or go with a slider shackle like I used.

From the looks of them you'll probably have to pry them down as they've gone over-center. I'll guess less than an inch longer is all that's needed. They only need to be long enough that the shackle will have a slight angle down from horizontal when the main leaf is dead flat.

Or you could leave them alone and add a thin urethane bump-stop to the bottom of the frame where the shackle eyelet is making contact. Choose the stop to be tall enough that the shackle can't go over-center even with the stop slightly compressed. These won't take the place of a normal bump-stop, they only serve to keep the shackles from going over-center.

Thanks ntsqd,

I am going to make my own shackles. Any suggestions on where to source the bump stops?

ML

To keep the spring close to the frame you could drill through the frame or weld on top of the frame with a longer shackle that would not lift the trailer more. Or go with a slider shackle like I used.

cjmoon,

I like the slider shackles oon your trailer build... Source? Price?

ML

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom