Builds Build: GRJ76 work in progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys I have been in the forum for a while mostly learning but now I want to share my 76 with you. It’s located in Panama, so if any of you is around Panamá and wants to go wheeling just let me know.

A little background on me; I used to drive sport cars but after a while I got tired of having to watch out for pot holes and speed bumps. Driven by the desire to drive careless in the city and to drive off the grid for a couple of days at a time I decided to buy another 4x4. I was looking for a 70 series but new ones were hard to come by and if you find one they were pretty expensive. Having said that I bought a 2009 FJ cruiser and what a beast it was, That thing took me everywhere and I was happy as I can be. I fitted the fj with suspension, 285/75r16 BFG KO, imported a bumper from the states and did sound system upgrade. I learned to work on trucks, did my own oil changes and pretty much learned everything I could about the fj. I had to change some pulleys some belts but besides that and a new alternator the fj was pretty reliable.

However, fast forward a couple of years and the fj while reliable started to ask for maintenance more frequently. The idea to sell the fj started to circle my head constantly. I knew I wanted something very reliable with front and rear solid axles. I started to look around for a 70 series with no luck (the only ones I could find were old and in very bad shape). I went to Toyota dealership to import one and they wanted 55k USD for a 1hz one, no thanks. Then I went to the dark side and started to look for a Rubicon... ha, the dealership wanted like 65k USD for one and they are not as reliable as I would like to.

Frustrated in my search for a new 4x4, one day looking into a local ads site I found a 2014 76 LC. I called the guy and he said the car had only been driven for 8k km in 4 years. When I asked for the price it was very reasonable so I knew this was the one. I went right over to see it in person and inspect it. It smelled like new, I could tell this car had been stored for a while. The only drawback I found was that I didnt have factory lockers but I knew that I could address that later on.

So, meet my LC she has no name yet but eventually it will get one. I was bought in Dubai and shipped to Venezuela then to be imported to Panama. So she has traveled far longer in a ship than by herself.

She has the same V6 than the fj and I’m happy for this since I already know the platform and how to do basic work on it. she has a 4.3 gearing (90% sure if this) with rear LSD. The gearbox is a H150F and has ac and electric windows. Overall I would say the LC is overkill for what I need ( I live in a large city and have an office job). She is my DD. But to be honest I don’t care she just makes me happy. Sure it drives like a boat, brakes like a boat, does not have abs nor airbags but what can I say I love her. I love the simplicity and functionality and the looks. Here 70 series are not common and people will stare at it.

List of mods:

ARB front bumper
ARB side steps
2x ARB 9.5 intensity spot lights
2x ARB 9.5 intensity flood lights
1x rigid industries working light in the back
Safari snorkel
2” OME lift
33” Dunlop mud terrain tires
Pioneer rhino roof rack with shovel holder
2x ARB touring awnings one in the driver side and one in the back
High lift with high lift holder
Cobra CB radio with antennas
Outback roof console
ARB 37qt fridge
ARB small drawer in the back
Pioneer radio upgrade
4 Kenwood speakers (one in each door)
I also fitted a system with 4 speakers and 2 amplifiers in the back mounted in the roof picture below (this is great because it does not take much space and it sounds amazing) great if you are in the beach and want to listen to some music.
I also fitted a 15” kenwood bass. This overkill and I will probably end up changing.
Jerry can with jerry can holder.

Next on the list:

Lockers, probably ARB
Winch, still undecided if I want to go with 10k lbs or 12k lbs.
Diff armor
I want to improve suspension flex but I cannot find much information (if you have suggestions please tell me)
Complete drawer system
I have two additional 6” rigid led light bars from the FJ that I don’t know where to put.
Dual battery setup
Fit 35” tires but this will have to wait since it barely fits in the garage at the office (I had to take the high lift off from the roof rack)
Additional rated recover points
Find a way to secure outside accessories (already somebody stole one of my antennas)

So overall this is it. She is setup as my DD and weekend warrior. I will post better pictures once I have the time to take them. If you have any question or suggestion please let me know.

Last edited:
Nice looking truck. You are making us jelous as we have to wait 25 years before we can import a 70 series into the US.

Nice looking truck. You are making us jelous as we have to wait 25 years before we can import a 70 series into the US.

Thanks... I still have many things to do but for now I’m just going to enjoy it as it is :)

The 25 year rule does not make sense but politics :rolleyes:. I have seen a couple of 93-94 FZJ73 popping around Miami. I’m pretty sure those are imported from Venezuela. Although they are asking crazy money for those.

Very neat .. for suspension upgrades take a look on australia .. depending on what you want and how much you have to drop on that ..

Very neat .. for suspension upgrades take a look on australia .. depending on what you want and how much you have to drop on that ..

Thanks man. I'm looking into superior engineering suspension stuff but I need to find a way to bring them to Panama. All the cool stuff is from Australia or NZ haha.

Do you know any good trail in Panama? I have been to Santa Isabel in Colon (pretty nice for camping), el Cope in Cocle (good waterfalls), and some trails in Chame; nothing to hardcore. I have Volcan on my list, but if you can recommend a nice trail (with camping options) I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks man. I'm looking into superior engineering suspension stuff but I need to find a way to bring them to Panama. All the cool stuff is from Australia or NZ haha.

Do you know any good trail in Panama? I have been to Santa Isabel in Colon (pretty nice for camping), el Cope in Cocle (good waterfalls), and some trails in Chame; nothing to hardcore. I have Volcan on my list, but if you can recommend a nice trail (with camping options) I would highly appreciate it.

Dude Panama is one big trail ;)

I used to live there and had a blast wheeling with the guys from “ club 4x4 Panama” not sure how active they are right now as this was a few years ago but there are plenty of other groups that go out on regular bases. Facebook seems to be where you can find most of them and pretty sure Tapage can give you a few suggestions on who to contact.

Dude Panama is one big trail ;)

I used to live there and had a blast wheeling with the guys from “ club 4x4 Panama” not sure how active they are right now as this was a few years ago but there are plenty of other groups that go out on regular bases. Facebook seems to be where you can find most of them and pretty sure Tapage can give you a few suggestions on who to contact.

Thanks! I going to look at the club, I check their forum a while ago but there was no much information. I know the FJ group did a couple good trips not long ago. Right now I'm preparing to go to Volcan Baru, but I have been tool that the trail is much easier now.

I usually like to go wheeling to find a nice beach, mountain or waterfall to do some camping. Camping at the top of Volcan Baru sounds like heaven to me haha

Thanks! I going to look at the club, I check their forum a while ago but there was no much information. I know the FJ group did a couple good trips not long ago. Right now I'm preparing to go to Volcan Baru, but I have been tool that the trail is much easier now.

I usually like to go wheeling to find a nice beach, mountain or waterfall to do some camping. Camping at the top of Volcan Baru sounds like heaven to me haha

It’s cold and mostly cloudy at the top , last time I was on it must be around 10 years ago with my BJ40. My 3B turbo intercooler setup did not like the altitude and protested loudly by smoking and knocking but I made it up and it ran back normal at the base . Several nice cruiser guys living in Boquete.

I'm not sure how it's the Volcan Barú trip these days .. but used to be hard on rigs that you care ( some tight spots, rocks / branches ) nothing to hardcore .. the top ( real top ) for camping it's no bueno .. ( cold and windy ) but there is a nice camp base like a half mile before the top ..

Forum it's kinda slow these days ( and while ago ) since What's app it's the oficial communication system down here .. still plenty info there ..

4x4Panama.com / Donde nace el Off Road en Panamá

plenty places to visit around here .. if you know where to look ..

20170306145302-a60bb237-me.jpg

this it's how use to be the Volcan trail .. ( pic sirca 2007 )

manuel2.jpg

Take a look here for trip reference ..

Nice pictures!!! Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out. I'll also be contacting you for the jerry can.

Let me know if you plan on bringing something from Australia to Panama in the future, perhaps we can split costs.

Nice pictures!!! Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out. I'll also be contacting you for the jerry can.

Let me know if you plan on bringing something from Australia to Panama in the future, perhaps we can split costs.

Actually I am .. still checking options down there .. for some reason I'm not getting the customer service I'm used to ( USA ) in Australia ..

I would recommend the trail above Boquete to the summit of Volcan Baru.

Potential a difficult trail if wet and probably need lockers. Dry shouldn’t be to big of a deal.

Best sunrises and sunsets in all of Panama. Also the highest point in the country.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom