Broken glow plug. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Setting up a manual glow plug system this weekend. All was going great until I over tightened one of the new plugs. Now the outer layer just spins free, broken just above the threads.

I'm thinking it'll come out easy with an extractor bit. Only problem getting the core/element part out of the way. Feels like a loose tooth, but definitely isn't pulling out easy.

Anyone ever encounter this issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I don't have anything to offer but my interest. I've got a 1HZ in our pickup and I'm not convinced that the glow plugs are working. Photos and observations will be received with interest. I'd also be interested in what you have in mind in terms of a 'manual' glow plug function. It's been cold here in Virginia lately and I really have to crank it to get the old boy started.

I don't have anything to offer but my interest. I've got a 1HZ in our pickup and I'm not convinced that the glow plugs are working. Photos and observations will be received with interest. I'd also be interested in what you have in mind in terms of a 'manual' glow plug function. It's been cold here in Virginia lately and I really have to crank it to get the old boy started.
Search Wilson switch. Glow plugs are simple to test. Check for continuity for each plug. Remove the bar that connects the glow plugs then run a lead from the center threaded thing that is hooked up to the cross bar and the other lead to a good clean point on the engine. If good you will have continuity.
If those are good start checking the rest of the system

Setting up a manual glow plug system this weekend. All was going great until I over tightened one of the new plugs. Now the outer layer just spins free, broken just above the threads.

I'm thinking it'll come out easy with an extractor bit. Only problem getting the core/element part out of the way. Feels like a loose tooth, but definitely isn't pulling out easy.

Anyone ever encounter this issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
I've heard of plenty of old glow plugs breaking off in the head, but never a new one! Sounds like a little different scenario though, just the hex part came loose? The main body is still threaded into the head? I suppose if you can get a decent surface to drill into it should come out with an extractor.

Use the extractor. If any bits like the glow plug element fall inside , you will be able to get it with a vacuum cleaner. I had this problem a few times with spark plugs.

I can't believe how much grief this thing is giving me. I've got a decent hole drilled to use the extractor. It's got a good, strong bite but the plug won't budge. Feels like I'm about to break the extractor off, which would be less than ideal. I'm thinking of grinding a small slot across the center and using a flat screwdriver. Will keep posted.

My plugs themselves were okay, my issue was no voltage at all going to the plug. I'm opting to build my own system rather than troubleshoot the factory setup. I could have set up the manual system with the existing plugs, but figured since I don't know their age I might as well put new ones in. Got a new rail/connector too since it was cheap enough (<$10).

Planning on posting about the results of the manual setup once completed. Basically just a breaker, relay and a pushbutton inside to activate said relay.

Material:
20210219_095525.jpg

Just a tip if you do break off the extractor or a drill bit.

Put some dry ice on it for awhile then smack with hammer or hammer and punch. The hardened steel will shatter.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom