Broken evap nipple (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
As I was dropping my fuel tank today, I broke one of the evaporative system nipples.

Aside from replacing the whole trunk mounted system, I thought about just using a plastic nipple exposure in place to patch this.

What else could I do to fix this?

But I was wondering, since I don’t have an oem carb and the truck is desmogged...how does this play into this system working or not?

7C4ABC8E-2229-430E-AD72-E822E947485C.jpeg

Recently I pulled all my passenger side lines which include the two fuel, one brake and the vent. One person said I could potentially ditch the evap if I was desmogged: eliminate the CC and all associated. It’s hard to tell from the pic but I’m guessing it’s the shiny one in the middle? If it’s just vent, you could thread in a connector and run a new line from that.

If I am looking at what I think I am looking at. That piece is just a fitting between the hose on the tank to the hose that connects to the evaporator behind the panel in the cargo area. You could just bypass that fitting and run a line directly from the tank to the evaporator.

Recently I pulled all my passenger side lines which include the two fuel, one brake and the vent. One person said I could potentially ditch the evap if I was desmogged: eliminate the CC and all associated. It’s hard to tell from the pic but I’m guessing it’s the shiny one in the middle? If it’s just vent, you could thread in a connector and run a new line from that.

With the carb, all you really need is a fuel line to supply fuel, and a means of venting the tank so it doesn’t become negatively pressurized by the removal of fuel via the fuel pump.

That said, if you remove the evaporative system you are opening the tank to the atmosphere. If you park indoors it will smell. It might even be a hazard if you have gas fired appliances in the same space.

If that's a broken nipple on the tank, you don't need it that's for sure. There's several vent lines going out of the tank so it'll still breathe fine. The problem is plugging that broken nipple. If you can figure out a way to securely plug it you'll be good to go.

If that's a broken nipple on the vapor separator, same thing. If you can plug it securely (to withstand a pressurized tank) it'll be fine

Personally I’d find something threaded that’s a bit bigger and force it in then seal it w/ something gasoline safe. Add a bit of hose and maybe a small tractor fuel filter like some do to the axle breather hoses.

I don't remember the whole circuit for that mess, but it's more than an Evap, it's also a Vapor/Fuel separator. I would figure out those lines before blocking anything just to make sure you're not building up a line full of condensation gas that then has nowhere to go.

FWIW, that nipple is part of a 'Connector Assembly' that you can remove thru the quarter panel access, once removing the hoses from the plastic evap separator. Prolly a lot easier to repair, then.

That part used to be available from Toyota, but I haven't seen one (even used) in a long long time.

I found a fuel safe plastic hose barb that goes from 1/4-3/8” it’s a very tight fit in that broken nipple. This will all fit nicely.

I’ll epoxy it in place and call it good.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom