Broke an axle today, Need tool and parts list for repair. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kind of hard to tell for certain until you get a better picture after all the crap gets cleaned off but the splines look rounded over in that picture.
Here is a better picture they don’t look great

image.jpg

Kind of hard to tell for certain until you get a better picture after all the crap gets cleaned off but the splines look rounded over in that picture.
I assume they are supposed to be flat like the ones on front

Here is a better picture they don’t look great

View attachment 3359548

You could run it.

But you'll get a lot of slop/backlash in the driveline.
You'll have accelerated wear on the remains of this splines, and probably ruin new flanges.

Plus, you'll be digging back into that slop in short order to do what really needs to be done now

You could run it.

But you'll get a lot of slop/backlash in the driveline.
You'll have accelerated wear on the remains of this splines, and probably ruin new flanges.

Plus, you'll be digging back into that slop in short order to do what really needs to be done now
100% agreed. You're in there, change the birf out (outer shaft).

If one side looked like that, the other side is likely on the way as well. Depends what your budget is, but I wouldn't assume the other side is "just fine". Or hell, throw full RCVs in both sides and don't worry about it again. :cool:

100% agreed. You're in there, change the birf out (outer shaft).

If one side looked like that, the other side is likely on the way as well. Depends what your budget is, but I wouldn't assume the other side is "just fine". Or hell, throw full RCVs in both sides and don't worry about it again. :cool:
Is there a way to just replace the birf without the replacing the whole cv?

I’m trying to get the birf off with the pipe method and I cannot get it off any suggestions?

The joint has a cage with 6 big ball bearings in it and a center star shaped component that connects to the inner shaft. I know RCV makes rebuild kits that includes all of those components for their aftermarket axles. I'm sure @cruiseroutfit can tell you if there are similar rebuild kits for stock (I assume there are). Kit will look similar to this:
1687903060151.png

Bear in mind those balls also wear on the inside of the bell end of the stub axle (I can't believe I just said bell end seriously). That component can be worn as well and replacing the guts might not be enough to completely cure the problem. The outer shaft would replace the splines you showed in your pictures as well as the bell and the internal components. If I was in your boat, that's the minimum I'd replace.

Full Stub + birfield joint (picture includes the straight inner axles too that lock in to the star on the Birf):

1687903417770.png

Hope that helps.

I’m trying to get the birf off with the pipe method and I cannot get it off any suggestions?
Clamp the axle in a soft jawed vice with the stub pointing down. hit the back of the bell with a big dead blow or brass hammer while holding the stub with the other hand. Should pop right off.

The joint has a cage with 6 big ball bearings in it and a center star shaped component that connects to the inner shaft. I know RCV makes rebuild kits that includes all of those components for their aftermarket axles. I'm sure @cruiseroutfit can tell you if there are similar rebuild kits for stock (I assume there are). Kit will look similar to this:
View attachment 3359642

Bear in mind those balls also wear on the inside of the bell end of the stub axle (I can't believe I just said bell end seriously). That component can be worn as well and replacing the guts might not be enough to completely cure the problem. The outer shaft would replace the splines you showed in your pictures as well as the bell and the internal components. If I was in your boat, that's the minimum I'd replace.

Full Stub + birfield joint (picture includes the straight inner axles too that lock in to the star on the Birf):

View attachment 3359649

Hope that helps.
K thanks I’ve been talking to them. I might get new cvs but I would like to re use the axle.

Im doing the long side.

What are you dropping the pipe on? I've never had an issue using a 2 inch PVC pipe slamming it on a 2x6 laying flat on the garage slab. You do really need to slam it too.

What are you dropping the pipe on? I've never had an issue using a 2 inch PVC pipe slamming it on a 2x6 laying flat on the garage slab. You do really need to slam it too.
Tried it on pvc now using a steel pipe with plate on the top with a hole and it still won’t budge.

As mentioned above, don't be afraid to hit it hard.

Be sure to put a piece of wood at the bottom of the pipe if you plan on reusing your axle shafts, but as everyone else has said they look like they're done, better to replace everything with new. If money is tight maybe check around for a set of good used components??

This is hard to see but he's just tossing it down in-between the jaws of a massive vice spaced so that the bar will drop through but the CV joint won't (might be safer to have plastic or aluminum jaw pads so as not to mar the axle shaft where the seal rides):

Last edited:
You might want to invest in a separator tool as decribed for future axle maintenance. I just used mine as an extention on my breaker bar to loosen a fill plug on my rear diff that got extremely tight somehow. It's real simple: length of galvanized pipe, 2" in diameter by 36" long. Valuable tool for 80 owners that maintain their own rigs....it's paid for itself many times over!:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom