Broke an axle today, Need tool and parts list for repair. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, everyone Today At little Moab I broke the front left, axle on my 94 80. I'm pretty new to this so I need a parts and tools list for the repair/replacement. I don't know if the cv blew up or the axle broke but I have heard clicking from the front left wheel while driving so I suspect the CV.

I was able to limp it to my uncle's house who lives nearby and I will tow it home and take it apart Monday but until then I will not know for sure what broke.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the video If you are interested (sorry if you do not like the music I put it too loud and I do not want to re-upload it)

If it's not a daily driver, tear it apart then order parts.

Your video is no use.

If you haven't done a knuckle tear down/rebuild start here

Thanks for the link.
The video was only for entertainment to see when it broke. It is from my YouTube channel.

Hey, everyone Today At little Moab I broke the front left, axle on my 94 80. I'm pretty new to this so I need a parts and tools list for the repair/replacement. I don't know if the cv blew up or the axle broke but I have heard clicking from the front left wheel while driving so I suspect the CV.

I was able to limp it to my uncle's house who lives nearby and I will tow it home and take it apart Monday but until then I will not know for sure what broke.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the video If you are interested (sorry if you do not like the music I put it too loud and I do not want to re-upload it)

If it’s little Moab next to SLC, give Cruiser Outfitters a call, they are in Murray and have every part and tool you need in stock and can help you understand what will need to be replaced.

If not in SLC, just give them a call and they’ll get you everything shipped out to ya.

Edit: just watched video, that’s definitely SLC little Moab, definitely give Cruiser Outfitters a call.

If it’s little Moab next to SLC, give Cruiser Outfitters a call, they are in Murray and have every part and tool you need in stock and can help you understand what will need to be replaced.

If not in SLC, just give them a call and they’ll get you everything shipped out to ya.

Edit: just watched video, that’s definitely SLC little Moab, definitely give Cruiser Outfitters a call.
Thanks I’ll give them a call I live just a little south of Salt Lake City. I probably would have made it up that wall if my tires were aired down but I don’t have a compressor yet and little Moab is 1 hour drive.

Otramm's videos are outstanding.

If that one doesn't cover the full process of changing an axle, it will get you close. He may have another one
While the video you posted may well show axle maintenance, if the axle's broke, OP will still need to retrieve the part of axle left in the housing. If he's lucky and it broke near the splined end, he can remove the third to get it. If not, he'll have to remove the right or US PS axle and poke it out of the third with a long rod so he can remove it when he can get the third out. Just a little more detail for the OP.
Edit: If OP's really lucky and it broke near the birf, he might be able to reach what's left of the axle with out going through the process of pulling the third.

Last edited:
As with most questions in life, the answers can be found in the 80 Series FAQ.

Judging by the video, the front left appears to still be spinning when you let off at the end. I heard a 'click' but not sure that was an axle snapping. Might just need a new birf. The right (short) side is what usually goes as I understand.
At any rate, let us know what you find.

Judging by the video, the front left appears to still be spinning when you let off at the end. I heard a 'click' but not sure that was an axle snapping. Might just need a new birf. The right (short) side is what usually goes as I understand.
At any rate, let us know what you find.
Ya, I noticed it it was spinning too but after backing down I was not able to get up again and I could see it wasn't spinning any longer. After I jacked up the left side and it spun freely with some noise with the diff locked.

We've got everything you need @ Cruiser Outfitters. Axle options from OEM, aftermarket, RCV, Nitro, TG and more. Plus any/every part you may need while you're in there.

We speak fluent 80 Series and have spent our fair share of time breaking and repairing things @ Little Moab going on 3 decades now :D

Ya, I noticed it it was spinning too but after backing down I was not able to get up again and I could see it wasn't spinning any longer. After I jacked up the left side and it spun freely with some noise with the diff locked.
Possible you just grinded the splines in your drive flange. I had that happen to me on the trail and a was accompanied by a large bang. Results in loosing drive power to that wheel.

Possible you just grinded the splines in your drive flange. I had that happen to me on the trail and a was accompanied by a large bang. Results in loosing drive power to that wheel.
Looks like you were right just pulled it apart!
They don’t look super striped but after I took it off then put it back on it had lots of play and was hardly catching.

IMG_1404.jpeg

You are in denial. Those are super striped.
Ya I didn’t realize it until I looked up a picture of a new one. This is my first time pulling these off. How does the axle look? It looks pretty good to me.

IMG_1407.jpeg

Ya I didn’t realize it until I looked up a picture of a new one. This is my first time pulling these off. How does the axle look? It looks pretty good to me.

View attachment 3359544

Its cooked!

Look at the difference between the worn splines, and the un-worn section at the end after the groove.

View attachment 3359544

Kind of hard to tell for certain until you get a better picture after all the crap gets cleaned off but the splines look rounded over in that picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom