Bringing in a 100 from Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I am looking at bringing in a 100 series from Japan to Canada. I have owned a couple of JDM 80's but know nothing about the 100's, so I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask. It will be a diesel, the 1HDT-FTE I believe.

It will be a daily driver and see limited off road use. That being said, I would like to have the triple lockers like my 80's had, is this an option?

It will have to be the first year of production, 1998, as it has to be 15 years old to get into Canada. I have heard that the early ones had issues with the front diff. Is this true? Is there a fix other than a complete replacement like a ARB locker?

What are the options available? My 80's were VX limited, is that what the top model 100's were called as well?

Is there any major things to look out for?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

James

Read the sticky at the top of the 100 page by Slee. Everything you need to know about buying one will be there.

Hey guys,
I am looking at bringing in a 100 series from Japan to Canada. I have owned a couple of JDM 80's but know nothing about the 100's, so I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask. It will be a diesel, the 1HDT-FTE I believe.

It will be a daily driver and see limited off road use. That being said, I would like to have the triple lockers like my 80's had, is this an option?

It will have to be the first year of production, 1998, as it has to be 15 years old to get into Canada. I have heard that the early ones had issues with the front diff. Is this true? Is there a fix other than a complete replacement like a ARB locker?

What are the options available? My 80's were VX limited, is that what the top model 100's were called as well?

Is there any major things to look out for?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

James

One thing to keep in mind is that in Japan, when one buys a new car, it's built to order (there is a list of options for each grade). I believe the rear locker was an option on all year 100's, but will only be present if the original buyer paid for that option (i.e., you will have to look for that magical switch next to the steering wheel in a photo). Off the top of my head, the grades were something like VX, G-selection, and Cygnus (LX470 w/ Toyota badges). The Lexus SUV's were not marketed in Japan (always sold under the Toyota label as Prado for the GX, LC for the LX, and Harrier for the RX). The 5spd manual tranny version of the 1HD-FTE was available, but very rare...virtually all are automatics. There are also some reverse import (from Aussie market) V8's w/ 5spd manuals.

Make sure the steering wheel and pedals are on the correct side of the vehicle for your application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

It might be stating the obvious, but it sure would suck to go through all that trouble and then get a 'cruiser w the steering wheel over by the passenger seat. :doh:

Hope this helps.

marshotel said:
Make sure the steering wheel and pedals are on the correct side of the vehicle for your application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

It might be stating the obvious, but it sure would suck to go through all that trouble and then get a 'cruiser w the steering wheel over by the passenger seat. :doh:

Hope this helps.

I believe the steering wheel frames are the same.

I think they generally drive on the left hand side of the road in Japan, and so their steering wheels are usually located on the right hand side of the vehicle.

probably obvious, but it would be disappointing to get a right hand drive vehicle when you were expecting a left hand drive vehicle.

CS1437_2_640x480_70.jpg

He will only be able to get a right hand dive vehicle and nothing wrong with it. I have owned a JDM diesel 80 which I brought myself and it was awesome. Now I got a 100. I dealt with jdmconnection.ca. Great guys and everything happens as promised. Also had a few people bring land cruises and skylines through them. Actually I was looking at brining one myself. Good luck!

He will only be able to get a right hand dive vehicle and nothing wrong with it.

...makes delivering the mail easier.

parking garages, toll booths, drive thrus, getting replacement parts- not so much.

The 2-pinion diff on the 98 and 99 100-series is fine for normal everyday use, but will fail if subjected to extreme loads.

There is plenty of information on ih8mud about the 100-series differentials:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/652179-1999-front-diff-replaced-what-did-they-use.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...-front-diff-98-landcruiser-_words-wisdom.html

I guess they tend to fail in situations where one front wheel is slipping and then suddenly gets traction. Replacement with the ARB front diff seems to be the most common solution . You can also get the newer 4-pinion OEM diff from Toyota.

There are several reports of front diff failure on the 98 and 99 100-series, but for most applications, it does not seem to be an issue. I would be more concerned about the location of the steering wheel. :doh:

Last edited:
Good to see you here kiruxa! It's James from hapkido...

Is your 100 a JDM? I didn't think you could get them here yet. You should bring it by one day I would love to see it.

My 80's were both JDM and as such are RHD. It is easy to drive, only takes a day or two to get used to. drive throughs are no problem, I just did them in reverse! Got some great looks from the cashiers!!!!

Can you even get LHD diesel 80's or 100's in North America??? Or anywhere??? I have never seen one.

I want the triple lockers because the odd time I used them they were VERY handy to have. So is there no front lock on 100's? Or is it manual locks? Centre dif only locks when in low range?

I want the triple lockers because the odd time I used them they were VERY handy to have. So is there no front lock on 100's? Or is it manual locks? Centre dif only locks when in low range?

Toyota makes a bewildering variety of global specs on this machne. My 2004 JDM 100-series has no rear or front locker unfortunately, but has an LSD at the back, and a Centre-Diff lock. The CDL is button operated and can be used in high or low range. I believe (from reading, not personal experience) the earlier models had it so you didn't have that choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom