Brake problem...Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having a brake problem with my 85 FJ60. Was coming home from the store yesterday and went to stop and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. Fortunately there were no cars in front of me. I was able to pump the brakes several time and the pedal went back to normal and she stopped. This happened a few more time on the trip home. Plenty of pads and shoes and no leaks or noticable fluid loss. I assummed it was the master cylinder, so I replaced it and bled the whole system. No change though. Pedal still goes straight to the floor and the only way to gain any brake pressure is to pump them up. No leaks and once they are pumped up, they work fine. Any thoughts on where to begin? Brake booster? Help?

Thanks, Red

Sounds like there is still air in the lines. What order did you bleed the wheels in? I think it is imperative to do the wheel farthest from the m/c first and work your way back to the closest. You probably have quite a bit of air in there since you said you already bled the lines, so go back and try it again and try to push all of the old fluid out of each line until you see new fluid spurting out.

Sometimes its tough to get the new master cyl primed/bled correctly. Bench bleeding the master before installing it is supposed to cure it. Since its already installed, you might be able to pumpsome more fluid through it by disconnecting the brake lines at the master. Do a search on bench bleeding to find out how its supposed to be done - I'm not too clear on it.

Thanks for the advice regarding the bench bleed. You were right, it just needed a good priming. Works great now...

Thanks,
Red

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom