brake master cylinder to booster connection question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
how important is the gasket where the brake master cylinder connects to the booster?

i'm replacing the brake master on my HJ60, and i notice that the one i'm replacing was installed without a gasket, and i don't have one for my replacement.

it seems to me that all this gasket does is act more like a washer than a seal. if brake fluid is present in the area between the master pin head slot and the booster push rod, then that means the master seals/pistons are going bad right?

also, my mechanic seems to think that when the master seals/pistons went bad it leaked brake fluid into the booster? has that ever happened to anyone on here? do i now need to rebuild/clean out the booster (seems like that would be a PITA and beyond my feeble capabilities).

thanks in advance for input.

Hi, replaced mine recently , nearly the whole system. Brake specalist said not to worry about , but if you want to make yourself feel better just cut one out of paper.Apparently some boosters can be pulled apart and some cannot thats for the Hj75 I expect the 60 is similar. cheers

biocruiser said:
if brake fluid is present in the area between the master pin head slot and the booster push rod, then that means the master seals/pistons are going bad right?

Yes, no fluid shoud be present behind the master cylinder.

biocruiser said:
also, my mechanic seems to think that when the master seals/pistons went bad it leaked brake fluid into the booster? has that ever happened to anyone on here? do i now need to rebuild/clean out the booster (seems like that would be a PITA and beyond my feeble capabilities).

Yes, it has happened to me and I have seen it happen to others. Then what you see is brake fluid running on the inside of the cabin on the firewall. Unless the booster starts leaking vacuum you don't have to have it rebuilt. I'd try to drain the fluid out of the booster though.

If you need it rebuilt, I've heard Booster Dewey (do a search on this forum) can rebuild it for under $200.

Dave

booster full of brake fluid

well, i'm in WAY deeper than i've ever been today. a bit intimidating for a newbie but i'm learning alot by doing it myself.

so i finally got the brake booster out. my PO had put a custom aftermarket turbo on to pep up the 2H (sweet!) but the way the turbo is mounted, where the exhaust has to route to hook up to it, totally blocks getting the brake booster out (doh!). i had to disconnect the exhaust at the turbo and all the brackets all the way back to drop it out of the way.

also for anyone else taking their booster out on an HJ60, don't try to take a shortcut and slip it past the clutch master and boost. maybe you could get it by with the non-boost type but the clutch w/ boost totally blocks you for the last crucial inch.

so i get the bitch out and turn it over and it drains out about 2 resevoirs full of brake fluid from the vacuum tube. main body seal on the MC side had a big crack/cut in it. i guess at least i'm not wasting my time....

does anyone know if the brake booster on the 87' HJ60 canadian spec is a "two-part" type? i guess if yes i have to find a rebuild kit from Japan/C-dan (who is totally the man!) and send it in with the booster to Bowery Booster or Liquidoffroad right? Liquid is my Texas neighbor so maybe I'll try them. Anyone have experience with their boost rebuild?

Or wait a minute. would a late 80's mini-truck/4runner booster work on the HJ60? or and FJ60 one?

thanks for all the input so far on this and other issues, this forum makes me proud to own a cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom