Brake lights--please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help I'm new to cruisers-just got one 36 hrs ago and I already think there wiring leaves a little to be desired. I do not have any power to the brake light switch, and I'm picking up a very dim light on test light --on the ground wire. The fuse is good, and the switch has continuity on multi-meter when pedal is depressed.

where would I or how can I be picking up low voltage on the grnd side??

No idea what year you have here, but simply because a fuse is good, does not necessarily mean that the power being fed to a device is actually passing through that fuse. Previous Owners tend to have a lot of fun trying to ‘fix’ electrical anomalies, and in the process, create larger messes than what they started with.

Since you have a multi meter, disconnect the battery and start checking continuity in the wires from the switch to the fuse block. There are many schematics out here in the technical links section in the event that you do not have one handy.

Good luck!

-Steve

It's common to have very low voltage through the ground wire when the ground is not good. You may have to clean the grounding surface and reattach. Additionally, if the truck has spent some time with the top off, unhook the battery, pull all the fuses, and use a round file on the fuse holder clips. Try again, repeat. Make sure your taillights are well grounded to the frame, even if you have to do it individually.

I could be wrong, but last time I checked the brake switch doesn't have a ground wire.....it is just a circuit that closes with the brake pedal. Either way still if you are getting a weak light on the feed side, I would follow previously mentioned advice, however if you are getting the weak light on the outgoing side with the switch closed, then I would definitly just replace the switch and see where that gets you.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom