brake light on dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this is just a minor inconvenience, but has anyone had a problem with the brake light (dashboard) coming on at different times. Sometimes it may stay on for a few minutes or until I restart the vehicle. Im figuring it is probably a sensor of some sort? Any advise?

Top up the brake fluid reservoir. The sensor in there is very sensitive even if it is just a little low.
Sean

Not to dissagree with anyone here,(been reading about CB's)
but, It's my understanding that the reason for the sensor in the reservoir(sp, sorry Bea) is to let you know your pads are wearing thin. You might want to do a brake inspection. :beer:
:whoops: I guess I should of elaborated a little more on my answer! I went for the most obvious, (I'm sure my driving habits have something to do with it) but I go thru pads, quite regularly.

Eduardo,

Not exactly. The level sensor is intended to warn the driver that the brake fluid level in the master cylinder is low. That being said, the most common reason for a low fluid level is worn pads.

I agree with Sean, your problem is most likely a fluid level that is fluctuating at minimum. And I also agree with Eduardo, look at your pad condition.

And there is one other...

You may have air in the lines

Do a complete brake inspection/replacement, whatever is called for, and top off the res. If that doesn't clear it, bleed all your lines starting with the rears. I just bled mine yesterday and bought two 32 oz bottles for the job and ended up with about 1/2 left over from second bottle...although mine was pretty dirty and I wanted to get it as clean as possible.

I don't think air in the lines would illuminate that light (though I could be wrong...).

I agree with Dan, Eduardo, and 96. Fluid is low, probably becuase of worn pads. R&R as required. Been there...done that.

There are 2 triggers for that light. The fluid level and the hand brake position. If the fluid level is fine you still will want to unplug the cap/sensor. There have been bad sensors that will intermintently turn on the light. By unplugging the cap the sensor is out of the circuit and if the cause, the light will never come on. If all this checks out then it's most likely the hand brake switch, but I'm not aware of anyone having a problem with that unless the hand brake is not returning properly from a bad e-brake system.

Cdan's right on this one. (like always). I went though this a few mo. back. The sensor went on, I couldnt figgure it out, checked the fluid level, and then topped it off, then within about 3 days, my brakes were squeelin like a pig. so I replaced the brakes, and then took out a tad bit of fluid because it had gone over the max line when I replaced the pads and rotors. Just needs a little bit of blinker fluid, no biggie. Oops i mean brake fluid. :D

-Bryan

How would air in lines possibly affect this? Mine is doing it too. I bled brakes recently all round. They are still a bit spongy. Fluid level is fine. Light is intermittent.
Sensor reads ~0 ohms at the bottom position and 750 ohms at the top. Anyone know what it should read? Maybe i can just add some resistance to turn the light off.
Are the sensors replaceable seperately or does it require a whole new master cylinder?

Exactly how, I don't know, but it's happened to me on two vehicles. Fluid level was fine, only after bleeding them did the light immediatly go off. Just my .02

Can't say for sure but switches are generally 0 ohm and infinity on the other end. Just unplug the switch and see if the light stays out. I pretty sure the cap is sold seperately.

750 ohms sounds like a bad switch to me.

Air IN the lines would not trigger the light. However, if bleeding the brakes cured the problem, maybee the float in the resivour was a little sticky and by removing it to add fluid for flushing you bumped it enough to free up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom