Brake Booster Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
I’m new to this forum, and forums in general, so I apologize if there’s a million threads relating to this. I just can’t seem to find what I’m looking for.
Purchased a 2004 LX470 with roughly 130k miles a couple weeks ago and so far things have been great.
However, this morning I noticed some unusual sounds coming from the brake booster area.
This is my first 100 series, so I’m unfamiliar with what is normal vs. abnormal.
Let me know if you have suggestions! The idea of having potential brake failure worries me, but I also know there could me multiple issues at play that may not cause total failure.
Thanks!

Tried adding an Imgur link as I can’t figure out how to post a video, let me know if it doesn’t work!

Check out the FAQ link at the top of the forum. I use google as a search engine and add ih8mud to whatever query.

You can check the health of your booster motor by timing how long it takes to fill the accumulator. I think anything over 35 seconds is signs of a weak system. Check out OTRAMS YouTube video on it.

Hello all!
I’m new to this forum, and forums in general, so I apologize if there’s a million threads relating to this. I just can’t seem to find what I’m looking for.
Purchased a 2004 LX470 with roughly 130k miles a couple weeks ago and so far things have been great.
However, this morning I noticed some unusual sounds coming from the brake booster area.
This is my first 100 series, so I’m unfamiliar with what is normal vs. abnormal.
Let me know if you have suggestions! The idea of having potential brake failure worries me, but I also know there could me multiple issues at play that may not cause total failure.
Thanks!

Tried adding an Imgur link as I can’t figure out how to post a video, let me know if it doesn’t work!

I cannot speak to any known noises, but your dash will light up like a Christmas tree when the booster is gone and an annoying humming noise will be going off in the cab. All this happened right before mine went out. Just used the parking brake and made it to the dealership accident-free. It was quite the rodeo!

Check out the FAQ link at the top of the forum. I use google as a search engine and add ih8mud to whatever query.

You can check the health of your booster motor by timing how long it takes to fill the accumulator. I think anything over 35 seconds is signs of a weak system. Check out OTRAMS YouTube video on it.
Thanks I appreciate it!
I cannot speak to any known noises, but your dash will light up like a Christmas tree when the booster is gone and an annoying humming noise will be going off in the cab. All this happened right before mine went out. Just used the parking brake and made it to the dealership accident-free. It was quite the rodeo!
Okay good to know, no dash lights yet, so fingers crossed it's functioning fine and is just making extra noise!
Thanks!

Thanks I appreciate it!

Okay good to know, no dash lights yet, so fingers crossed it's functioning fine and is just making extra noise!
Thanks!
Mine had a slow oil leak and this could of been the original brake booster assembly. The leak was running down the engine bay on the driver side and over the frame above my front axle. I had a Toyota dealership replace the entire assembly around 335k miles. Keep in mind, if your emergency brake light comes, it also means your brake fluid is low.

Mine had a slow oil leak and this could of been the original brake booster assembly. The leak was running down the engine bay on the driver side and over the frame above my front axle. I had a Toyota dealership replace the entire assembly around 335k miles. Keep in mind, if your emergency brake light comes, it also means your brake fluid is low.
👍 brake fluid levels look good, and I don’t seen any oil leaks.
Hoping it’s just a sound and nothing more. With mileage being so low I’d be pretty bummed if I had to do this fix already.

In a cold start the motor should NOT run more than 37 seconds. A brand new unit will run about 25 seconds. When the N2 gas leaks out of the cylindrical tank to the left or the pump, the motor will run longer times to maintain the pressure. These long runs will destroy the motor/commutator/stator and the famous no brake/Chrismat Tree lights on dash.

In a cold start the motor should NOT run more than 37 seconds. A brand new unit will run about 25 seconds. When the N2 gas leaks out of the cylindrical tank to the left or the pump, the motor will run longer times to maintain the pressure. These long runs will destroy the motor/commutator/stator and the famous no brake/Chrismat Tree lights on dash.
Timed it, only ran about 25-28 seconds before it shut off fully
So maybe it’s just noise and nothing to worry about!

Sounds normal. No screeching/screaming that happens when the commutator dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom