Bought an '02 LC today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for a larger 4WD vehicle that can tow. A LC wasn't really on my list since I didn't think I would come across one, but I did, and so I bought it. It has 231k miles on it.

So far I know it needs an alignment and the AC does not seem to work. The Nav computer has some message about a disc being inserted. The hood shakes a bit at interstate speeds because it's dented at the front corner. Lots to sort out.
i-RGpWpML-XL.jpg

I confirmed the A/C compressor does work. There must be a massive refrigerant leak. I had read it's common for the line to the rear a/c to be the culprit?

You can see the damage to the front of the hood here. I was told the PO hit a deer in it. They replaced the front fender and bumper. The hood still clearly has some issues.
i-WVspxxD-XL.jpg

i-xsK2vx3-XL.jpg

i-9V38vT5-XL.jpg

There are a few spots of bad rust on the body, but the car seems to hide them well. I found one today I didn't notice when I first looked at it. A lot of the skid plating is missing.

I dropped it off at the shop for an alignment and look over. I hope they don't find anything too bad. It actually cruises quite nicely despite the alignment issue.

Congratulations and welcome! Love the color. I had the rear ac lines replaced on an 02 due to rusting through. Where did you pick this truck up?

Congratulations and welcome! Love the color. I had the rear ac lines replaced on an 02 due to rusting through. Where did you pick this truck up?
Thanks! In Tiffin, IA right outside of Iowa City, IA. It was previously owned by someone in North Liberty, IA. I'm pretty sure it was being flipped by the current owner.

Congrats and welcome!

That thing is screaming for a baseline given the color of those fluids. Seems like a fun project though. Hopefully the rust isn't bad.
As a Midwesterner, none of it looked terminal to me. What I would think of as the radiator support has a hole rusted in it. The far corners of the rear body work is badly rusted. You can only see it from underneath. There is rust starting behind the rear door.

It looks like new compared to the level of rust on my '02 F150. It's had the floor patched, two rockers replaced, and two doors replaced.

I paid $6600 for it so I was not expecting perfection.

As a Midwesterner, none of it looked terminal to me. What I would think of as the radiator support has a hole rusted in it. The far corners of the rear body work is badly rusted. You can only see it from underneath. There is rust starting behind the rear door.

It looks like new compared to the level of rust on my '02 F150. It's had the floor patched, two rockers replaced, and two doors replaced.

I paid $6600 for it so I was not expecting perfection.

Sounds like it'll be a good vehicle and I'm glad you were aware of the rust when you bought it instead of the other way around!

Good luck with it!

Sounds like it'll be a good vehicle and I'm glad you were aware of the rust when you bought it instead of the other way around!

Good luck with it!
I'm crossing my fingers.

It did make the hour long drive home in 50mph crosswinds without issue.

What do you plan to tow?

I've been looking at parts diagrams and photos of other LC's, but I can't figure out what part I need to buy. Whatever the bottom of the front bumper fastens to is not there. What part is supposed to be there?

The LC got an alignment and clean bill of health today. The next step is to re-attach the badges, replace missing fasteners, and use rust converter on several areas.

I'm surprised how nicely it rides on the highway.

I got the LC badge back on. After looking at photos of these on the internet, it's not clear to me where the Toyota and V8 badges are supposed to go on the hatch.
PXL_20210402_203944334-L.jpg

Welcome to mud! I like the Tundra wheels! I lived in Davenport for a couple of years and know a little about rusty midwest LCs and A/C lines. Bought a desert truck this time, but glad to help any way I can. I am 3 hours from you and there a few local guys here that would probably be willing to help as well. cheers.

Do you have the front wheel caps? This is what the PO did with mine and I thought it looked ok.

IMG_3963.JPG

It would be helpful to have another one to look at so I can figure out what bits I'm missing.

The bracket that mounts from the radiator support to the headlight, bumper, and front trim piece below the grill I have not been able to find on any parts diagram. Does anybody know the part # for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom