Bought a 1990 HZJ75 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I went ahead and bought it. The seller was a real cool guy who'd brought it over to the US from Australia a couple of years ago, driven it around the US and Mexico, and wanted to sell before heading home. This worked out well for both of us, since my HJ60 (now for sale!) needs a significant overhaul.

I know very little about the 70 series or the 1HZ engine so I figure I've got a lot of learning to do here.

First, some pics.

20171202-1990_HZJ75-125504.jpg

20171202-1990_HZJ75-125520.jpg

The Good:
  • Dual fuel tanks
  • Smooth running 1HZ engine with no leaks
  • 2" lift
  • Some surface rust on the body but the frame is very clean and the body is in decent shape
  • Timing belt, water pump, radiator core recently replaced.
  • Has all a/c parts, but needs a charge.
The weird:
  • The factory high-beam lights have been disabled and wired into a pair of lightforce offroad lights
  • Previous owner reports some issues with low idle.
  • I don't know what all the knobs and buttons do yet
  • I keep mixing up the turn signal indicator and the windshield wipers. RHD. There's a learning curve here.
The project list (@orangefj45, @beno, I'll be reaching out soon):
  • Injector pump has a fuel leak
  • Oil change
  • Coolant reservoir low
  • Charge the a/c.
  • Broken catch for the hood/bonnet support
  • Aftermarket high-beams have a bad ground and factory high-beams disabled
  • Tires have tread but are dry-rotting
  • It looks like it may be leaking a bit around the transfer case
  • Paint. Right now it's just surface rust. I'm thinking rhino coat.
  • All of the door panels and quarter panels are damaged. Maybe I'll make my own out of wood.
  • Dome light cover is smashed
  • Tach is intermittent. I suspect the wiring is damaged at the sensor.
  • Driver's side window crank handle broken
  • Seats need upholstery
  • Driver's side door sill is broken
  • The windshield seal needs replacing
  • Weather seals on all 4 doors need replacing
  • Lock cylinders. The ignition cylinder is very loose. I could probably start the truck with a screwdriver. The door cylinders are all very tight. My key is bent and I can see it snapping off at the worst moment.
  • Shifter loose. Bushings?

Questions:
  1. How will a 1HZ Troopy respond to 33" 285/75/R16 tires? I think I'd prefer to go with skinny tires, but I just put BFG KM2s in that size on my HJ60 and would like to swap them over. I think both vehicles use the same bolt pattern on the rim.
  2. Does anyone make aftermarket door panels for the rear ambulance doors or the rear side panels? These could be used for storage.
  3. I have a tach sensor for my HJ60 (12v, H55). Can I use it on the Troopy (12v, H55)?
  4. What is the knob to the lower-right of the steering wheel?
  5. Where can I find a good HZJ75 repair manual?

I'm not going to put any effort or funds into modifications just yet. My goal is just to handle the maintenance, get it to stock, and drive it for 6 months or so while I decide if this is "the one". I'm not 100% committed to this rig yet but I'm looking forward to driving it for a while. I'm still hoping I'll find a unicorn (clean LHD 1HZ Troopy) to prep for a South America trip, in which case I'd pass this one on.

Last edited:
  1. How will a 1HZ Troopy respond to 33" 285/75/R16 tires? I think I'd prefer to go with skinny tires, but I just put BFG KM2s in that size on my HJ60 and would like to swap them over. I think both vehicles use the same bolt pattern on the rim.
  2. Does anyone make aftermarket door panels for the rear ambulance doors or the rear side panels? These could be used for storage.
  3. I have a tach sensor for my HJ60 (12v, H55). Can I use it on the Troopy (12v, H55)?

Congrats!

1. 33's are great with stock gearing. Same bolt pattern, but potentially different back spacing/clearance up front.
2. Sort of. Custom options are honestly easier to figure out than procuring from AUS.
I'm actually prototyping some at the moment and would be happy to discuss further.
3. Maybe, the injector pump might allow for the factory fitting and use of your sender wiring. A tiny tach style seems popular as well.
4. That should be the hand throttle.
5. There are links in the Diesel/24v section to some online resources.

Replace all the fluids and filters and do the timing belt and water pump while you're in there. 70's are everything the 60's are but even better. You'll love getting to know her.

:beer:

Jonathan

Congrats Dylan!!!!!!

I think you'll end up loving the troopy and never looking back!

We'll be happy to get it sorted out for you.
I run 33" BFG ATs on mine and it works great; non-turbo 1HZ as well.

Can't wait to see it in person!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

As for the tach, it should have the factory sensor on the back side of the IP, facing the block. Very simple and accurate setup.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Congratulations. I'm wondering how I will get one... looks like I might have to do a trip to Australia. Might be hard to fit in since I am taking a month off work over the holidays to go to Mexico. The prices in Australia are cheaper than Europe.

And have fun turning on the wipers! If you only drive RHD, like me since my pickup died, you'll get used to it. Otherwise don't be hard on yourself. Driving my brothers car over the holiday was entertaining, for them.

Congrats!

And have fun turning on the wipers! If you only drive RHD, like me since my pickup died, you'll get used to it. Otherwise don't be hard on yourself. Driving my brothers car over the holiday was entertaining, for them.

Congrats!
Other drivers often wonder which way I'm turning but I have a very clean windshield. :)

Last edited:
Is there a fairly straightforward way to switch the levers around so they match my other cars, so I don't have to remember which car I'm driving to indicate signals?

Is there a fairly straightforward way to switch the levers around so they match my other cars, so I don't have to remember which car I'm driving to indicate signals?

No there is not.

Cheers

That's like admitting defeat. :)

Highly recommend an EGT sensor pre turbo. Without it, the wife would've melted the turbo on the 81 long ago.

You don’t want to do that. Left hand shifts gears, right hand steers and works the turn signals. It’s nature's plan.

As for the tach, it should have the factory sensor on the back side of the IP, facing the block. Very simple and accurate setup.

Sounds very different from my 60 so I'm guessing I'll need a different sensor. I am assuming the wiring issue is at the sensor but it could be at the gauge. I haven't pulled anything apart yet.

#1 priority is to get the fuel leak sorted. I'll make some time to come down this week and show it to you, swap wheels and parts from my 60 over, and make a plan. I need to figure out if I'm going to drive the 60 to Baja and drop it off in Ensenada for rust repair, or drive the 75 to Baja and drop it off in Ensenada for paint.

orangetaco said:
knob right side low of steering wheel is the manual idle adjuster.
That's what I thought it must be but it doesn't want to move. I'll play with it.

rhinorig said:
Highly recommend an EGT sensor pre turbo. Without it, the wife would've melted the turbo on the 81 long ago.
First I need a turbo :)

The shifter on this thing is pretty loose. I'm guessing the H55 shifter has some bushings that may be worn out. Added to the list.

The manual throttle control isn't pulled in/out - it's rotated. Handy on cold mornings to raise and smooth the idle a little to warm the truck up. Push the accelerator down to where you want it then screw the throttle clockwise until you meet resistance to hold it there. You can back it off easily by unscrewing it. Has other uses too - keep RPM's up while winching, etc. etc. Makes a great cruise control for the highway. (I'm kidding.)

Questions:

1 I have found the 235x85x16 the best around tyre size, approx 32 inch. 60 and 70 are the same rims
2 Most people make their own, too easy
3 I think your 1HZ sensor is probably failing. The HJ60 sensor wont work
4 Probably the fast idle knob
5 Search for free ones online, aussie ebay. I keep my good Toyota manuals at home and keep a Gregorys #523 in the landcruiser

The shifter on this thing is pretty loose. I'm guessing the H55 shifter has some bushings that may be worn out.

It could be the nylon bush on the end of the gearstick but with the high klms on your gearbox it could be the shifter rails getting sloppy.

That carpet with the cut out hole for sub tanks looks disgraceful. You can buy the proper carpet for that dash on aussie ebay $50 last time I looked.

Congrats on the purchase. I assume that this was Nathan's? If so, I texted back and forth with him a bit and he seemed like a really solid guy. I know that he had a challenged getting it titled in CA so I offered help in Oregon but he said he had it sorted with a WA buyer which I assume is you.

It's a nice truck and I know he was pained to sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom