Body panels and rust repair parts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the wife has admitted that this is now a project car (whoop whoop!) and has told me I can grab a new wind screen surround in the next week or so.
Just a quick question, but what are the panels below the screen called, the bottom of the A-pillar?
They are rusted as well and I an see where they are attached, should be pretty easy to unstitching it and mig in new panels if they are available.
Thanks in advance :)

null_zpsd3e2ee2f.jpg

It is a part of the main tub, you would need to cut it off and find a donor, when the windscreen surround is removed my bet is on you will find much more rust. Get handy with the mig and a torch and fix it uP!

I have no doubt I'll find a heap more rust but for the cost of a mig and some tin, I think it shouldn't be too hard a job to fix up.
Just need to find a donor vehicle, not so easy when you live in the middle of nowhere!

common place for those things to rust, I'd expect to see a lot more damage once you pull the windscreen frame out and you should expect the lower A pillars and floor pan to be pretty rotten as well considering the leaking water travels down till it eventually disappears out through the floor. Its all repairable if you pull it all apart mine was in a similar condition I had my tub stripped down, sandblasted and repaired with new floorpan and rebuilt pillars, new windscreen frame etc

tub.jpg

Are these common rust areas available as rust repair sections?
I can find the outer sill panels and lower front guard repair panels but seem to be coming up with nothing in regards to other repair sections.
I'm happy to weld them in myself, I'm just hoping I'm not going to have to become a panel beater in the process.
You are correct that the water has run down and carried the rust with it.
The floorpan isn't overly bad, but that means I do want to get into it sooner rather than later.
null_zps48523760.jpg

If you weren't on the other side of the planet, I would have the parts you probably need from my BJ74 LHD conversion. I have the complete piece under the windshield---the whole firewall. And a left apron

Looks like I may be relatively OK, but the car has definitely been used around salt water and has definitely had its front end in the drink at least once.
Nothing a Karcher, Ranex, and some fish oil can't take care of.
I'll be doing the car in Durabak as well if I can get some here for a decent price.

Hey, i am new to the site and have had the same issue with my 73 series. was wondering how you went with the rust in the a pillar and if you and any photos of the repair

not bad. i have hit mine with a heap of rust converter and will prime it with a rust converter as well. couldnt really cut my rust out as there wouldnt have been a mount left. haha.
will plasti bond the holes and stickaflex the seal on and she shouldnt leak fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom