body kits you all prefer? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Dirt_is_our_friend
  • Start date

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D

Dirt_is_our_friend

I am going to be putting a new body on the fj40. i heard that the aluminum takes away the body lines which i dont want. I like the idea of a peice tub that makes it stronger. I havent seen this with CCOT. So what have you all done? i would like to know so i can start shopping. Also if anyone else has good links for landcruiser bodies please post/link for me. I really like this site and all the info 8) good for new-bies like me. I plan on keepin my fj till i cant drive! :flipoff2: :D

I can understand those who want to keep the original body parts just as they were. I like the original lines too but when I began to think about replacing my rusted '78 FJ40 body I could not see spending days replacing steel only to have it rust again. I went for aluminum and am very satisfied. It is strong and it fit perfectly. I was so impressed with how easy it was to install. I also put on aluminum fenders and half doors. Everything went smooth. Here is a picture of my rig in case you didn't see it elsewhere on this forum. For those of you who are purists cover your eyes! ;)

Oops! The photo didn't transfer. This is an old picture and the bezel has been changed for those of you who might feel the need to say something. ;)

well i have been looking all day and running up the phone bill :slap: and i think jt outfitters is my choice. They emailed my some pics of one installed on there most recent rebuilds. I like the way you dont lose the side vents next to your kick out vents. I might be going with that this spring here pretty soon. I also like there option of the built in tool box for 250 dollars. It pretty good size. 18 inches high 10 inches deep 36 inches wide. It has a seal around it so its water proof and no rattle seal. :cheers: they also seem to know the most about there tubs and i like people who know what they are selling.........we wont bring toyota salesman into this :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

Just so you don't think JToutfitter is giving you anything special.. they sell the Aqualu made aluminum body just like lots of other do. Aqualu only sell through distributer but they will help with any questions. Aqualu told me they would give a discount (5%) if I bought a complete body (tub and cowl). They will weld the tub to cowl for free and fit 1/2 doors for about $75. You may want to talk to them (e-mail info@aqualu.com) or 1-888-765-6714

nocents

I installed the Auqualu 2nd generation tub on my cruiser, I ordered it from TPI, I've always been pleased with their service. The tub comes with stainless steel fasteners, a detailed instruction video; the installation is really easy. I doubt you'd regret going with aluminum.

The Aqualu tub is lighter and stronger than the factory tub, a truly first class piece of work. If you believe form follows function it is also better looking than the factory tub. I would be very supprised to hear of anyone who is not satisfied. Thier customer service is also tiptop. I also plan on driving mine til I cant drive anymore.
Installation can be done in one weekend with a helper or two. When fitted with the ambulace doors and painted up it looks like the real thing. No problem with lines. And what are you worried about lines for anyway. Arent you going to use the landcruiser the way god intended? If you do you will bash the occasional rock and tree from time to time. The alluminum tub will take most punishement in complete stride. ;) :beer:

well my cowl dowsnt have any rust on it. I am thinking i would like to keep it cause i can still have the factory side scoops right above the kick plates. If anyone knows a aluminum tub that can keep those i would be very happy..........also i need to keep my full doors cause i live in the snowbelt :( soo i am kind of stuck............also how much did it cost you all to do a real paintjob on your cruiser? also i am going to rhino line the floor of my cruiser and the underside while i am at it............... i am going to do the whole engine bay basically everything on the 40.the person before me must have owned a spray paint factory :doh: cause the whoel thing is spraypaint :whoops:

You should be able to get a reasonable paint job done for a very good price. I've got a good network of people and can get a 40 painted to look very good sitting next to any other ride for around $400. That includes the sanding and primer. I think the biggest part of it is to have them do as much as possible; body work, sanding, paint, etc...and pay them accordingly. A larger shop won't help you on price. Trust me. They get enough work, especially if they're tied in with a couple insurance companies.

Go small town, and find a guy who's been doing it for a while and "wants" to see his sh*t on the street. Its not hard to do, they're all over here in Pensacola.

Good Luck.

thanks! well the project began.................the hard top is off and so are the jump seats and little other doo-dads......... :cheers:

If you go with an aluminum cowl you get the scoop vents in front of the kick-out vents. The difference are that you don't get the vent on the top by the windshield. As far as door go you can use full doors with either just a tub replacement or a full aluminum body.

Call Aqualu and they will send you a video of a tub replacment and some color phots if their stuff for free

nocents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom