body cracking at firewall with winch and bumper installed?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some so called FJC master came into my shop to see if us truck guys have heard of this problem. He said it has been happening.

I have not.

Can anyone confirm this?

Welcome to the world of FJ Cruiser problems..

Happens to just 99% of us who wheel it:

This thread is relatively huge, and old.. there are many more on the forum too.

Engine Bay Body Rips - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

P.S. It really has nothing to do with the weight up front, since it's all mounted to the frame. But IMO, the retarded soft body mount are to blame, and the frame just flexes way to damn much.

This happens to both fully modded rigs, and bone stock.

This also has nothing to do with going fast off road. The frame flexes so much, i can hear the paneling in the back of the fj move if i go over a speed bump at an angle.

I had limb riser's setup on my FJ for about 2 weeks. Driving up on a curb would scare the crap out of me, the frame would twist and the cable looked as if it was going to snap just because of so much flex.

And yes, i do have fender bulges/cracks.

Does anyone know if anyone is making a polyurethane body mount kit for the FJ? That may well help some of the flex problems.

Some so called FJC master came into my shop to see if us truck guys have heard of this problem. He said it has been happening.

I have not.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, fender bulges and cracking have been documented, but it is not linked to bumpers or lifts, or any other aftermarket parts. It has been documented on stock FJs that have never left pavement. I've been out of the loop for a bit, so maybe they finally made an official statement on the problem, but as far as I know it is an engineering problem. Also, this has been documented on the Prado... the FJ overseas cousin with a very similar frame.

I've wheeled mine pretty hard and frequently and have no issues yet. Probably just a matter of time.

I've wheeled mine pretty hard and frequently and have no issues yet. Probably just a matter of time.

same here; 68,000 miles and no issues (yet), knocking on wood. Polls on the blue forum show between 25 and 40% of all respondents with that problem, FWIW. Not very scientific but you get an idea.

Bulge, cracked and repaired by the dealer. Not sure if any return cracking/bulges, I'll need to check. 2-1/2 years, 42K, lots of offroad activity.

Ive flexed mine pretty hard and have done a lot of sand and desert running, nothing yet...

Mines got them 14 months old and 51500 miles. lots of wheeling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom