body cracking at firewall with winch and bumper installed?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Soapbox issue!

Folks: This is my ONE "soapbox" issue!

"Probably just a matter of time."

IMO this sums it up for '07's & 08's. NO, I'm not "Henny Penny"!!

I'm 99% convinced it's a repetative flex issue, that Toyota will never ackknowlegde it in a global manner (no TSB's even), and they'll be dealing with this piecemeal for a while.

If getting yours repaired, just make sure you have the 3rd gen aprons with a newly designed reinforcement bracket and (purportedly) slightly thicker steel. Aslo make sure you use a decent body shop. They should have to completely remove the dash to do correctly and prevent your FJ from going up in flames as a result of errant sparks in the cabin from welding to the firewall.

I'm 99% convinced it's a repetative flex issue, that Toyota will never ackknowlegde it in a global manner (no TSB's even), and they'll be dealing with this piecemeal for a while.

If getting yours repaired, just make sure you have the 3rd gen aprons with a newly designed reinforcement bracket and (purportedly) slightly thicker steel. Aslo make sure you use a decent body shop. They should have to completely remove the dash to do correctly and prevent your FJ from going up in flames as a result of errant sparks in the cabin from welding to the firewall.

None of that matters either....I lemmoned an '07...got an '08....got new aprons....the latest ones as of last month....and the cracks are back already....

I wheel hard in Az. rocks but it happens to everyone eventually....

The good news....It doesn't matter....let them rip!!!!

That just does not matter. They need to fix the flexing issue FIRST!

In my humble opinion the problem lies in the fact thet the inner fenders are welded to the fire wall. THis direct connection of the inner fender to the main body leaves no place for the inner fender to really flex, so it bulges and tears at a crunch zone. The true fix is an inner fender that is not welded to the fire wall, like they have been building cars forever.

I hate when this subject comes up. So many folks got bent on this issue I no longer pay attention to it. From what I figure, when and IF Toyota decides to come up with a fix for this issue, I'll be notified when and where to take my truck for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom