Bluetooth music without a lot of fuss? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, just got myself into an 06 Lx470, I'm loving everything about this rig, just not the music system. I already know I'm going to have to replace/repair the sub, I'm just waiting to get up the nerve to take all those body panels off. But what I really want to do is add Bluetooth music option to this thing. Is there an easy way to swap in a bluetooth module in place of either the CD changer (6 in the center consol, mines broken anyway) or the factory tape desk? I've seen some options from viewsonic on youtube, but the video chopped out half the install process. Not looking for a "tesla style" anything, just tunes off my phone and to use the OEM backup camera/climate controls. There has got to be better way than the tapedeck wire/FM transmitter right? Thanks!

The Vaistech option is the one I'm considering. It seems to be well thought of around here.

I run a bluetooth adapter and a radio transmitter. Auto turns on and off with the car and/or music, even fades in. Beats all of my friend's new factory bluetooth set ups, if I was playing something from a podcast to music on my android when i shut the car off, it auto plays when I start up the car and drive off later. BT adapter even has NFC to make the first pairing easy. Hide it all in the center console. Only downside may be sound quality, but living in rural Mississippi with a less than ideal, half repaired ML system, I have no issues. Reason I chose this specfic transmitter is that it has an unused USB port on the 12v adapter that I plug the BT receiver into.

Honestly impresses me and its less than $50.

Here's what I'm using. Use the same bluetooth adapter in my IS350, just into Aux.
TP-Link BT 4.1 Receiver - Amazon product ASIN B00YPATOEEWicked HD Universal Transmitter - Amazon product ASIN B00SI2MK46

I run a bluetooth adapter and a radio transmitter. Auto turns on and off with the car and/or music, even fades in. Beats all of my friend's new factory bluetooth set ups, if I was playing something from a podcast to music on my android when i shut the car off, it auto plays when I start up the car and drive off later. BT adapter even has NFC to make the first pairing easy. Hide it all in the center console. Only downside may be sound quality, but living in rural Mississippi with a less than ideal, half repaired ML system, I have no issues. Reason I chose this specfic transmitter is that it has an unused USB port on the 12v adapter that I plug the BT receiver into.

Honestly impresses me and its less than $50.

Here's what I'm using. Use the same bluetooth adapter in my IS350, just into Aux.
TP-Link BT 4.1 Receiver - Amazon product ASIN B00YPATOEEWicked HD Universal Transmitter - Amazon product ASIN B00SI2MK46

Man I love this site, you guys are all great!

Does your FM set up live in the center console, or do you have it out front? I used smaller, cheaper version in my 07 FJ with the aux in, I think I still have it. Might be worth the try, as long as I don't have to stare at cables. First thing I do when I open up the panel the first time to run a USB-C cable up from the bottom through the ash tray to charge my phone.

Last edited:
The Vaistech option is the one I'm considering. It seems to be well thought of around here.
Thanks man, that one looks cheaper and smaller. The website didn't have a lot in the way of instructions, any idea if there is a "build" post with someone on here doing it?

Cheers!

Update! I took Brauski's advice and went short term with an FM transmitter. I plan on looking into the The Vaistech option mentioned by DMD above long term if I dont love the one I bought.

After some quick research I went with the Roidmi 3S as it looks just like a tiny usb charger, does bluetooth reciving and fm transmitting and will give me a reading on my battery health. supposed to let me hotswitch the music to phone calls, we'll see how that works, but the 06 has bluetooth calls, hoping just to use that still.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
This works and sounds great in my 06 LX470
BT45-Toy

I went the vias tech route. Plug and play. Super easy install and phone connects to it super fast. I also like that it has the option to dismiss the warning you get on the navigation screen as the truck starts. Just note it takes about 10 seconds before it auto dismisses the warning.

How's the new Vias Tech working out? I have an old one - installed about 8 years ago. It kinda sucks. I've got XM and get most (or some?) stations. The phone pairing is bad - gotta crank the volume on the headunit to hear the conversation. There's no BlueTooth connection for music. I use an FM transmitter for that... and it's okay. Good for music, sucks for phone calls.

The tech in my 100 really is making this thing feel like an analog truck in a digital world.

I've got the VAIS SL3b-L.

I don't have the volume problems - crank the phone up to max, the distortion-free result compares to the CD player.

The UI is off - the playlist rarely displays correctly, but the song is always right. Very minor annoyance.

It doesn't reliably pick up where you left off when the ignition shut off. Most of the time (although not always at the same point of the song), but not always. Minor annoyance.

When it doesn't pick up where it's left off, VAIS says it defaults to play the first playlist on the phone. (In fact, a VAIS tech told me that is the expected behavior - not picking up where it left off.) It seems to go to the first in the list as sorted on my phone, so you can manage that to a degree. Annoyance.

Sound quality is very good, not convinced that it is as good as a CD. Could be a psychological thing.

VAIS runs quite a few sales during the year, most recently a Labor Day sale of $30 off any $150 or more order. Memorial Day and March Madness were the same, 4th of July was $40 off. (Didn't join the mailing list until March, so not sure whether Thanksgiving and Xmas were.)

I'm happy with the VAIS. FM transmitters are lower fidelity (because of the limitations of the FM band) and require a lot of empty station searching on long trips.

All this said, people seem to love the much-less expensive BT-45.

The best things are 1. Simple access to *all* music, not just the CDs already in the changer; and 2. Good quality sound. For me, bluetooth easily trumped the FM transmitter. I suspect any bluetooth would be comparable.

I have put the BT-45 TOY into my 2005 and 2007 100 series. Really easy install and around $145 on eBay. As noted elsewhere, big volume difference between music and phone, so I use my original BT for the phone and the BT-45 paired to an iPod touch with 8,000 songs for music. Works great!

Giving another +1 for the BT-45 TOY. My goal was to be able to stream spotify and take a few phone calls. I installed this past weekend in my 02 lx and it's amazing. The hands-free calling works perfectly, and sounds just as good as any other car. I repaired all of my speakers as well, and this sound system is incredible for its age.

Giving another +1 for the BT-45 TOY. My goal was to be able to stream spotify and take a few phone calls. I installed this past weekend in my 02 lx and it's amazing. The hands-free calling works perfectly, and sounds just as good as any other car. I repaired all of my speakers as well, and this sound system is incredible for its age.
Did you do the plasic replacment fix? Somthing like this guy did ? I'm down to replace plastic but like, realign cones or anything. I suspect all my speakers need some tlc.

Did you do the plasic replacment fix? Somthing like this guy did ? I'm down to replace plastic but like, realign cones or anything. I suspect all my speakers need some tlc.

Yep i replaced the foam with the Simply Speaker kit. I just reached out to them and told them my make/model and they invoiced me for the product. It was a lot of prep work, but i rationalized it as a fix that lasts 5+ years. I used a razor blade and a utility knife along with liquid sandpaper and alcohol, and it didn't cut through the gunk nearly as easily as this video.

repair:

remove door panels:

here's what i wrote on another thread:

I finished up the project this weekend and can confirm that this kit worked:
3x FS-6BT (6 inch)
2x FS-5s (5 inch)
2x speaker repair adhesive

You only need 1 repair adhesive. A little goes a LONG way. I took a ton of time on prep work...my hands hurt the next day after all of the scraping with razor blades, box cutter, and chemicals to break down the adhesive. Do it somewhere acceptable to make a mess. My wife didn't love me doing it on the kitchen table lol. It's 100% worth it for $60 and an afternoon! Sounds night and day different.

Yep i replaced the foam with the Simply Speaker kit. I just reached out to them and told them my make/model and they invoiced me for the product. It was a lot of prep work, but i rationalized it as a fix that lasts 5+ years. I used a razor blade and a utility knife along with liquid sandpaper and alcohol, and it didn't cut through the gunk nearly as easily as this video.

repair:

remove door panels:

here's what i wrote on another thread:

I finished up the project this weekend and can confirm that this kit worked:
3x FS-6BT (6 inch)
2x FS-5s (5 inch)
2x speaker repair adhesive

You only need 1 repair adhesive. A little goes a LONG way. I took a ton of time on prep work...my hands hurt the next day after all of the scraping with razor blades, box cutter, and chemicals to break down the adhesive. Do it somewhere acceptable to make a mess. My wife didn't love me doing it on the kitchen table lol. It's 100% worth it for $60 and an afternoon! Sounds night and day different.

Thanks Man! I'm thinking this is going to be my first body panel removal job, going to have to wait for the temp/bugs to die down a little bit first.

I picked up one of these at Wally World on the way home from buying my cruiser and it works awesome. Its very clear and you can answer calls through it. The usb ports are nice too. For $10, you can't beat it.

Thanks Man! I'm thinking this is going to be my first body panel removal job, going to have to wait for the temp/bugs to die down a little bit first.

Use that youtube video. it was easy with the exception of removing the window switch trim. I broke a couple clips, but gorilla glued them and they were perfectly fine after and secure in the door. I don't believe i took any helpful pictures as it was a warm weekend. Only additional thing i'd do having those off is maybe add some sound isolation material? My understanding is the doors are already sound proofed pretty well. I got my windows tinted while they were off; it saved my guys a lot of time and got me a better deal.

I went with a Crux bluetooth adapter off Amazon for ~$50 IIRC. I don't think it does calls like the BT-45, but at less than half the price, I don't care. It plugs in to the factory 12 CD changer slot (the one that goes in the center console) on the head unit. I threw the whole unit inside the dash as I have no need for a USB connection, I only use it for the bluetooth. Stupid easy install, and I didn't have a 12 CD changer using that slot anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom