Blown Head gasket Warped Cylinder Head Custom Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have learned my lesson the hard way about saving people money on these kinds of jobs.

Can very well come back to bite you in the ass.

Cheers

The copper shim won't seal the coolant and the oil passages. You might get an ok seal around the combustion openings due to the armor on the head gasket.

The copper shim won't seal the coolant and the oil passages. You might get an ok seal around the combustion openings due to the armor on the head gasket.
Years ago a machine shop here had me do a 240Z (260?) head this way. WAs told to use the spray copper sealer.. I believe that they heated it up in an oven bolted to a plate to get it "bent back" within spec then milled quite a bit off. Their main concern was with the cam timing changing bringing the head closer to the crank.

I have learned my lesson the hard way about saving people money on these kinds of jobs.

Can very well come back to bite you in the ass.

Cheers
It's not my job necessarily when asked to do the job this way, this wasn't some invention of my imagination. People do fix warped heads this way, at the end of the day if the customer and their machinist want it done this way, they are willing to pay for the work, and release liability if it doesn't work then I think this is just speculation. This is meant to offer a write up on something that provides resources and the feedback is good.

As a suggestion, if someone wants something unorthodox done and there are little alternatives, time is important to them, then it's important to make it explicitly clear that the responsibility is on them.

The functioning of the vehicle would argue the opposite to this. I understand the overall hesitancy and comments to the contrary but the fact is the vehicle is not leaking oil or coolant. This response is not meant to be argumentative, its a statement of how the vehicle is performing.

Years ago a machine shop here had me do a 240Z (260?) head this way. WAs told to use the spray copper sealer.. I believe that they heated it up in an oven bolted to a plate to get it "bent back" within spec then milled quite a bit off. Their main concern was with the cam timing changing bringing the head closer to the crank.
This is exactly what was done. As well, the copper sealant spray was used in this case to provide a better compression seal between the block, head gasket, and head.

Thanks for the feedback

Hey no worries and I get it.

I would have picked up a used good head for $500 if trying to save money. Or bought a new OEM if I could have.

I am certainly guilty of a thing or two like this in the last 34 or so years of wrenching on cars. Most of those years were on my vehicles, best place to learn hard lessons! 😂

Cheers

Hey no worries and I get it.

I would have picked up a used good head for $500 if trying to save money. Or bought a new OEM if I could have.

I am certainly guilty of a thing or two like this in the last 34 or so years of wrenching on cars. Most of those years were on my vehicles, best place to learn hard lessons! 😂

Cheers
This is one of the reasons why I've begun to just zero in on working on my own vehicles. It's more fun and less stressful, at this point every job I've done for other people is something that I tend to focus on too much. I try not to turn friends away when I can but sometimes for peace of mind it's not worth doing.

In theory, you could skim the piston tops? Not sure and I am no expert. Personally, I would put it all back together and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom