blown head gasket discovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I'm doing a HG job and I pulled the head off and saw the pistons marked 40. Is this 40 over? eek! or what does this mean? Ive only seen .40 stamped on pistons not cast. My engine is nearing 300K and running strong until the blown HG. Has it been rebuilt?

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

Like @flintknapper said, those are stock pistons. That doesn't mean the engine hasn't been rebuilt before, but if it was, it still has stock pistons.

Just finished a head gasket not to long ago. Like everyone else said, they are stock pistons. You can see the 40 on cylinder one in this picture as well. I would try to look up a carfax to see if it had been rebuilt. Other than that or past information from the PO, you'll never know if it was rebuilt or not. If its the first time it blew a head gasket at 300K, that's impressive.

IMG_2771.jpg

Just finished a head gasket not to long ago. Like everyone else said, they are stock pistons. You can see the 40 on cylinder one in this picture as well. I would try to look up a carfax to see if it had been rebuilt. Other than that or past information from the PO, you'll never know if it was rebuilt or not. If its the first time it blew a head gasket at 300K, that's impressive.

View attachment 2319646

^^^^
Mine went 316K on the original. Just recently....went South on me. So maybe I beat the odds as well.

^^^^
Mine went 316K on the original. Just recently....went South on me. So maybe I beat the odds as well.
That's awesome. Mine blew at 150K. A trailer full of fire wood didn't help my situation though. I've seen where a lot of people have them blow around 170K to 225K. It's nice to have it done now and know that I am good for another 150K or more miles.

just finished my HG too, and looked through some of the photos yep mine say 40 on them also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom