Blown Engine! 100 Series Engine Seized? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm posting this up as I recently have a issue with my 100 Series Engine seized up. Just looking for some opinions since theirs some really knowledgeable people on here.

My Toyota Land Cruiser is a 2004 with 275,000 miles on it.

Engine has always run smooth up until now with regular oil changes.

A few days ago after work the Land Cruiser failed to start up, it cranked over, did not start but died after a few cranks. After this the engine would not turn over at all or even click.

Battery is good and I figured it was the starter after a little research and ended up having it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer on the north side after seeing where the starter is located, pain to get to, lol.

The Dealer also thought it was an issue with the starter at first look as well. They ordered a starter and when they changed it they realized the engine was not turning over with the new starter in. They advised they tried to turn over the motor with a wrench and it was seized. They recommended possibly looking into installing a used engine.

I think it started kind of funny a few times in the prior days but still started up fine so did not really think anything of it. I did not notice any engine noise or heat issues prior to this either.

I had it towed back home for now while I figure out what I'm going to do as this is my daily driver.

Wondering if I'm going to need a new engine or if there are possibly any ideas or direction/advise. I change own oil and do minor repairs but am not overly mechanical overall.

Thanks for any feedback or help!

Cross posting this in CSC forum and 100 Series Forum

lc4.jpg

I'm posting this up as I recently have a issue with my 100 Series Engine seized up. Just looking for some opinions since theirs some really knowledgeable people on here.

My Toyota Land Cruiser is a 2004 with 275,000 miles on it.

Engine has always run smooth up until now with regular oil changes.

A few days ago after work the Land Cruiser failed to start up, it cranked over, did not start but died after a few cranks. After this the engine would not turn over at all or even click.

Battery is good and I figured it was the starter after a little research and ended up having it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer on the north side after seeing where the starter is located, pain to get to, lol.

The Dealer also thought it was an issue with the starter at first look as well. They ordered a starter and when they changed it they realized the engine was not turning over with the new starter in. They advised they tried to turn over the motor with a wrench and it was seized. They recommended possibly looking into installing a used engine.

I think it started kind of funny a few times in the prior days but still started up fine so did not really think anything of it. I did not notice any engine noise or heat issues prior to this either.

I had it towed back home for now while I figure out what I'm going to do as this is my daily driver.

Wondering if I'm going to need a new engine or if there are possibly any ideas or direction/advise. I change own oil and do minor repairs but am not overly mechanical overall.

Thanks for any feedback or help!

Cross posting this in CSC forum and 100 Series Forum

View attachment 2202631
It seems odd for a cold engine to seize up on a cold start after sitting. A accessory like a seized alternator ac compressor ect can cause enough torque load on a motor to keep it from turning over. Remove the serpentine belt and see if the engine will turn over then. If so you can just manually figure out what is causing the bind.

It seems odd for a cold engine to seize up on a cold start after sitting. A accessory like a seized alternator ac compressor ect can cause enough torque load on a motor to keep it from turning over. Remove the serpentine belt and see if the engine will turn over then. If so you can just manually figure out what is causing the bind.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Does it drive / move? If you're not sure about digging in, maybe get with @murf

I have aaa, if you need a tow to him, if that'll help. Pm me. I can't see it being the motor, these historically run well for what seems like ever.

Years ago in a different vehicle, a family member was told by a repair shop that their engine seized due to inability to turn the engine over, even with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. We had it towed home where I discovered that the alternator bearing had seized up. Those serpentine belts have quite a grip. Like @Dimples said, check your accessories. Just a thought.

So checked with serpentine and spark plugs off/out not able to turn over with breaker bar, all accessories moved freely without serpentine. Took to a Toyota mechanic for a second opinion he advised it was seized it would not give at all. He recommended he could install a used engine if I go that route.

I don't think I'm going to the trouble/cost of putting a new/used engine in it. In great condition other than the engine if anyone wants to make me an offer as is. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom