Black streaks on wheels - Can't get them clean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've tried everything in the garage including concentrated degreaser and Goof off. Nothing helps. Guess I will have to repaint them unless anyone here has a suggestion.
LC Wheel.jpg

Same issue on mine. About to try a clay bar. It did wonders on some stains on my hood.

In the past, some of my silver/hypersilver wheels have gotten damaged by tire mounting lube that some shops use. For wheels I care about, I try and wash them after I get new tires. That hyper silver finish is a bit tricky. As a last ditch effort, I'd try polishing it out.

sorry to tell you this, but those "marks" are actually your outer layer of paint that has come off. those wheels are known as "hypersilver" and they are a silver over black. someone likely used a harsh chemical wheel cleaner on them in the past.

the only option is a repaint ( or just live with it)

sorry to tell you this, but those "marks" are actually your outer layer of paint that has come off. those wheels are known as "hypersilver" and they are a silver over black. someone likely used a harsh chemical wheel cleaner on them in the past.

the only option is a repaint ( or just live with it)
Thanks for confirming. I had a feeling that would be the case.

I work at a Lexus dealership, and sometimes the harsh cleaners would do that.
We had to refinish the wheels to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom