Black chrome ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I had an 80 series with what Toyota called black pearl chrome emblems. It was dark, but not quite black, and still had a shiny aspect to it. I was wondering what the 200 would look like with something similar for the shiny bits (grille, side moldings, rear emblems)... Has anyone done something similar? I thought I might check with a local body shop to see if they could replicate the look...

Believe its called Nightshade. I just ordered Heritage style badges for the rear pillars. Not the actual Heritage ones but the FJ40 badges you can still get from dealers ($60 per pair vs $350). They are a little more shiny silver than the actual Heritage badges (Eric Sargent Heritage Badge Video). The rest of my 200 is blacked out (with Plastidip) but I would like to either paint or somehow finish otherwise these Heritage badges in a "dark chrome" or maybe something close to my ICON wheels. If I can figure out the paint to get, I'd do the front grill too.

Try wrapping those bits with this:

Getting a "chrome" effect with paint is difficult, you will most likely have to do a candy or pearl black, and I'm not sure if that will have the effect you're looking for.

The Heritage Edition has a Black Chrome grille and fog light surrounds.

Try wrapping those bits with this:

Getting a "chrome" effect with paint is difficult, you will most likely have to do a candy or pearl black, and I'm not sure if that will have the effect you're looking for.

The Heritage Edition has a Black Chrome grille and fog light surrounds.
How hard is wrapping these bits DYI for someone who’s never done it before? Or am I better off taking the parts to a shop to have it done?

It is definitely possible to wrap parts at home. A lot depends on the part. Curves and compound angles are harder. Mild heat helps. Lots of good videos online (youtube) to get you started.

I think the part that stymies most of the land cruiser crowd is the middle section of the rear hatch, the one with the LAND CRUISER lettering.

I've found that shops anywhere near me (rural area) are very pricy. I think urban areas may have better options and range of costs.

It is definitely possible to wrap parts at home. A lot depends on the part. Curves and compound angles are harder. Mild heat helps. Lots of good videos online (youtube) to get you started.

I think the part that stymies most of the land cruiser crowd is the middle section of the rear hatch, the one with the LAND CRUISER lettering.

I've found that shops anywhere near me (rural area) are very pricy. I think urban areas may have better options and range of costs.
I got some quotes earlier in the year. They were all over the place and preferred a wrap but the middle rear piece is not ideal for a wrap. I explained that the chrome pieces could be painted with proper prepping but they were not willing to go down that path. @Eric Sarjeant has had good success in prepping and painting. There is a thread or two on how he does it.

Congrats on your new LC!

Been trying to do this but haven't gotten around to it yet. A lot of the stuff online ends up with the emblems looking more of a glossy black than the tinted chrome. Best write up I've found so far is here (scroll down for the better results): Tutorial: DIY "Black Pearl" style Emblems - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
The wrap posted above does look promising. May try that first.

Has anyone removed their chrome pieces and can share the process/tricks? I was trying to find drawings of how it goes together and the parts catalogue at Toyota shows an older drawing for the 2016-2020 chrome door molding. I'd like to remove mine and see about getting them painted or just do it myself. My chrome got a case of the magnesium chloride so may just end of rattle canning it since it's already ruined.

I just replied to your other thread on this. Let me know if you need any additional info.

There's really no trick, insert a trim tool and pry until the plastic pin pops out, then do the same for the remaining clips.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anybody that's managed to repaint the rear chrome strip into a 'smoked' look. I've searched on Google Image search endlessly and all I see is blacked out, which I dislike. The rear chrome strip is the only aspect of my HE that I don't love, and I wonder why Toyota would do smoked chrome (albeit very conservatively smoked) for the front but leave the back regular chrome. If I could find a way to do something like the 4Runner Nightshade edition, I think it would improve the appearance of the car significantly!

Ive had excellent luck with plastidip and plastidip clear coat... give the plastidip a shine that looks great. Did it on the badges on my 470. Took me 10 minutes, and is reversible.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anybody that's managed to repaint the rear chrome strip into a 'smoked' look. I've searched on Google Image search endlessly and all I see is blacked out, which I dislike. The rear chrome strip is the only aspect of my HE that I don't love, and I wonder why Toyota would do smoked chrome (albeit very conservatively smoked) for the front but leave the back regular chrome. If I could find a way to do something like the 4Runner Nightshade edition, I think it would improve the appearance of the car significantly!
You can simply use tinted film over chrome to simulate black chrome. Maybe could try a tinted clear to match the shade of the other black chrome if you're set on painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom