BJ74 - New to Metal-tech 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

helocat

Tube is your buddy!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.metaltech4x4.com
The wait is over for us and our BJ74 is now in our hands. Stuck it out to get the 13B-T and loving the little truck.

Keeping it mostly stock since its great as it is for now. However of course cant leave well enough alone to long. Will be building some parts for it and IF there is enough demand we will add them to the Metal-tech 4x4 product lines.

- Tube doors
- Roll Cage Kit
- Front bumper
- Rear swing out bumper
- Sliders
- 3rd row drop down seats.
- Back seat seat belt kit

Will get some posts of the interior here. Its a total time warp right down to the 80's tape selection that came in the glove box. The truck has had very, very little use with the seats, carpet, head liner, dash all in pristine condition. 160k on the clock so just below 100,000 miles. Just broken in and purrs.

Only aftermarket on the truck is the great light bar on the front bumper with the huge "CUBIE" lights from Japan, and the side window clip on wind guards. All of it will be coming off.

The PTO looks untouched and is bathing in penetrant oil, getting the clutch handle back in function. Love the winch head, its almost identical to the PTO's from the 70's.

Our JDM spec truck has a great fold and tumble rear seat, but no seat belts. I have three boys so need three belts back there. For one week I had them held in with ratchet straps. (my wife thought the straps were stock Toyota from Japan. he he he)

Belts.

I already added rear seat belts to the back seat. With the seat being a fold and tumble so I wanted to keep the belts doing the same. I CNC plasma cut a custom tab and welded them to the back of the seat frame. New 10.9 side bolts and a tube spacer completed the set up, along with three new OE style replacement lap belts. Now when the seat is folded and tumbled forward, the belts also go with it keeping a clean floor. This also makes it 10x easier too when the seat is folded back down as the belts are always ready to go.

Want to make 2 bumpers for the back??? Need to build one for mine and want to make one with a swing out rack for gear storage.. Nice BJ74....

That would be so cool to have a few options state side for parts and add ons ! and nice cruiser , looking forward to seeing a slow build of a DD.

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested in a rear bumper, seat belts, and a front bumper that would allow me to keep my PTO... if the price is right!

Nice!

Can you provide a photos of the side bolt/spacer in place and the rear tab(s) in place? I like the functionality of your seat belts.

Best,

Rob "stayalert" M
Norwich, VT

Edited: Sorry didn't realize you're developing (hopefully!) these bits for market - I'd be likely in for roll cage drop, down seats and seatbelt kit.....

Last edited:
Want to make 2 bumpers for the back??? Need to build one for mine and want to make one with a swing out rack for gear storage.. Nice BJ74....

I have a friend in KY that also just got a 74. I plan on a two'fer build on the rear bumper already. Once I build them I can share what the finished unit looks like and the cost. Then see if there is demand. Swing out bumpers typically run $1200-1500 with everything. I plan to make it a duel swing so its easy to get into the back. (Just having to open one side of the swing out, to then open the left back door. ) I want to get the spare tire off the right back door. The right side swing out will be linked with a bolt on mount to the right back door. This will allow the left door to open at will with the right swing out holding in place and only moving once you unlatch the right door and open it. Since the swing out will be linked to the door it will swing with it. (Doing this now on a new FJ Cruiser rear bumper) I will see what it ends up being once I started on that project. (Some time still before then)

I'm definitely interested in a rear bumper, seat belts, and a front bumper that would allow me to keep my PTO... if the price is right!

Yes, the front bumper is one of my first projects. The large chrome thing..... well "chrome don't get'ya home" so it has to be changed. Absolutely the PTO will stay.

already test PTO winch .?

you have plans to wheel it .?

I have not tested the PTO. The clutch handle knob will not pop upward, its rusted in place. No worries this is very common with the OE PTO. I have 4 PTO's from FJ40s in my parts horde so if I need parts I am sure I can do what is needed. For now just hitting the rusted parts with oil. The winch looks like its never been used. So probably rust on the inside.

Yes I will wheel it lightly. Nothing hard core, the truck is way to nice. I have other trucks to beat on if I feel the need. But camping trips and expedition style wheeling sure. Its a Cruiser after all and have to let it do what it was made for a bit at least!

Nice!

Can you provide a photos of the side bolt/spacer in place and the rear tab(s) in place? I like the functionality of your seat belts.

Best,

Rob "stayalert" M
Norwich, VT

Edited: Sorry didn't realize you're developing (hopefully!) these bits for market - I'd be likely in for roll cage drop, down seats and seatbelt kit.....

Rob, its no top secret parts. Happy to share the bits. If there is enough request we can do a kit for them. The key thing is the custom tab's since the do weld to the frame. It makes for a very clean install. The new lap belts also have the Toyota style push locks, so that's nice too.

Roll cage for sure. It needs it. The 3rd row drop down seats are at the request of my boys. With a family of 5, the truck leaves no room for buddies to ride with us. So two drop down seats with belts will allow for this. I might make them cage mounted to simplify their install. They will be short range comfort only for sure.

Mark

NICE purchase Mark... Great little shop truck.

Hope to catch you and LT this summer at the 25th rubicon..

Rob

Sweet.. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the bumpers and sliders. This is going to get the treatment...lift etc..

image-2307029218.jpg

cruiser

Nice cruiser Mark. I wish I could have got the bumpers and sliders from you, instead of building the custom ones for our BJ73. I really like the idea of being able to use the LH door with swingout closed. Let me know when you have something I may still want one.

Sweet truck I can't wait to see what you come up with! I have been kicking around some rear bumper idea's for a while and I am really digging how your planning your swing outs. Space is such a premium for me with the shorter 70. Please don't forget about us with shorter wheel if you do some production stuff.

I would love some tube doors if u make any and th price is right esp with good tarpaulin with pockets on the inside

The wait is over for us and our BJ74 is now in our hands. Stuck it out to get the 13B-T and loving the little truck.

Keeping it mostly stock since its great as it is for now. However of course cant leave well enough alone to long. Will be building some parts for it and IF there is enough demand we will add them to the Metal-tech 4x4 product lines.

- Tube doors
- Roll Cage Kit
- Front bumper
- Rear swing out bumper
- Sliders
- 3rd row drop down seats.
- Back seat seat belt kit

http://s15.postimg.org/vfwqd4fwr/photo_8.jpg

The front bumper - we call those the 'front porch', which came on several models.
I kept my PTO, eliminated the 3" front channel and built a simple bumber around it. I kept the OEM stainless bullbar, because I do a lot of heavy bush plowing in Northern BC --I also have cable limb risers from the Bullbar to the roofrack ( not shown- only put them on when needed).
Might give you some ideas for your project.

P1050016 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Great looking bumper Glenn! Simple, and I like that you kept the bullbar. How is the bullbar attached? I'd like to see more pictures if you get a chance.

I'll be interested if you do a cage kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom