BJ74 brake booster failure, 80 series replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty sure my brake booster just failed. Brake pedal is hard as a rock and brakes are there but not strong at all. Vacuum is there. This was after a pretty good freeze so I’m betting my original booster diaphragm gave up the ghost.

I know the booster bolts in with a lengthened rod. Will the factory master cylinder hook up to an 80 series booster or do I need a master as well? Is there a difference between LHD and RHD 80 series masters? Brake lines on different sides?

98998C29-7638-4F41-8608-AC97ABA7A045.jpeg

Just make sure you get a 4 bolt booster from a 80 and does straight in with a rod length adjustment. No need to change master, does help put its a pain as the brake lines are different routing on nearly all other Toyotas. I bored mine out to the size of a later model unit and fitted the later model internals to avoid the issues.

I put in 80 series booster and master. I had to make 2 new lines coming right off the master.

Just make sure you get a 4 bolt booster from a 80 and does straight in with a rod length adjustment. No need to change master, does help put its a pain as the brake lines are different routing on nearly all other Toyotas. I bored mine out to the size of a later model unit and fitted the later model internals to avoid the issues.

Alright so it sounds like I can just strap my factory master to a 4 bolt 80 series booster and go?

Why did you bother to bore out the master? More oomph? For now I’ll just swap in the booster to get me going if mine will transfer over, I’ll swap to an 80 series master in later.

Yes more "omph", I swapped to later calipers with larger pistons, so matched them all together.

Cool! I’m actually really happy with my stopping power, I’ll swap out the booster for now and upgrade the master later, that was I can keep the master as is until I want to spend the time upgrading the master. Thanks for the info!

Suggest avoiding Cardone Reman boosters.

I bought a used one and had it rebuilt by a local shop.
Lifetime warranty.

We have a few 80 booster upgrades into 70 series scheduled here so decided to machine up a batch of extended clevis's. They are $60 each if anyone is interested I have three extra at the moment.

1000004002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom