BJ41 not shutting off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to solve my smokey start up problems, i changed my fuel filter last weekend, bled the air in the system and checked the health of my diaphragm by sucking on the hose. Went to start the truck up and it stammered a little and smoked some,then it wouldnt shut off when the key was turned in the off position. The only way i could shut it off was to pull on the heater or headlight knob. The FD knob wont light up either. I checked the fuses and all is ok. I pulled the FD knob and hear a click, so i assume thats ok as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone on this forum for everything!!!! If it werent for all you guys i would be lost.

If you don't drive for a second, the FD will not always engage. Try it in some sand or a dirt lot with the hubs locked. It will only light up when the front drive gear is actually engaged. Same for shutting off. If you push in the knob, it may take it a bit to release the FD and for the light to come off.

Have you checked the EDIC for the stopping issue?

K

I checked the edic motor lever position when the truck was on, its it the correct position, then when i turn it off, its not in the correct postion when the key is turned to the off position, but it is in the correct position when i pull any knob or hit the brake pedal..thats the only way i can get the truck to turn off.

Better start checking and cleaning all your grounds start with the engine and frame ground you obviously have a bad connection somewhere are your batteries strong a very weak battery can also cause this.

interesting!! My batteries are weak and i failed to mention that i was charging them while i was switching out the fuel filters last wk. I didnt think twice to even mention that. If i let it sit for two wks without starting,it will go dead. You may be right, all was normal BEFORE the battery charge and fuel filter change. Ill clean the grounds tomorrow and finally get on the parasitic draw that im sure i have. Thank you so much!!! i hope that solves the problem.

this is just a follow up post to thank everyone for the input. The weak battery WAS the culprit for the truck not shutting off....and... (as a side note) the change of the fuel filter totally eliminated the smokey startup!!! a $4.00 fix to a huge smoke cloud that filled the neighborhood!! Thanks to everyone and this helpful forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom