BJ40 Voltage Regulator Replacement 12 volt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I THINK the VR on my 1977 BJ40 bas gone bad and I'm having a problem locating a plug and play replacement unit. Battery was not charging, found blown fuse in Alternator circuit and replaced it. Now the ammeter pegs @+30A when RPMs above idle, so I'm assuming the VR isn't functioning properly. I've looked a various sources and don't see anything configured like mine; when viewed from rear on inside of firewall there are two wires coming out left side of VR into a connector, and 3 lugs on the right side that connect to chassis wiring (5 wires total). I've removed it and taken the cover off and don't see and part number markings. Also tried unsuccessfully to attach a pic but for some reason I can't upload image.
I believe this vehicle was initially delivered to Costa Rica before finding it's way to USA. VIN is BJ40011906. I've contacted several 40 series parts suppliers with no luck thus far.
At this time I'd prefer to replace the existing VR unit with an identical unit, versus new alternator with internal VR, but would consider a solid state external VR if I can figure how to wire it in. The Field Service Manual schematic I have indicates a non US BJ40 VR only has 3 wires connected, versus the 5 I have? Another option would be to adapt a 3 wire regulator to fit my chassis wiring. Again I'd prefer a plug and play replacement but if that's not possible I will consider other alternatives. If one were to replace original alternator with new internal regulator how do you address the vacuum pump requirement for the brake system? And for educational purposes is there a difference in FJ40 and BJ40 voltage regulators, and if so why? Because BJ RPMs are lower??? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rudi (@bj40green) documented external voltage regulators HERE... you might want to try his procedures for checking and adjusting your VR first.
Thanks - I found it and read it before posting my question(s). The issue is my regulator has 5 wires and two sets of coils/contacts internally. In his write up the schematic shows 3 wires and the pics show a single coil/contacts inside his regulator. Going to try to isolate where/how the extra 2 wires on my set up function. Assuming one comes from alternator, another goes to battery, and a ground. The ammeter is connected somehow. The two wires/connector coming out of my VR may go to the gauge? Will confirm this wknd. Thanks again. Finally got the pic to upload.
BJ40 Voltage regulator.jpg

The issue is my regulator has 5 wires and two sets of coils/contacts internally. In his write up the schematic shows 3 wires and the pics show a single coil/contacts inside his regulator.
1. If you continue reading, the 6 wire VR is described on page 2 posting 36.
2. What you have is a 5 wire VR for the 60 series, which is basically a 6 wire VR but doesn't have the "no charge" indicator light which is the L terminal (Lamp) with the Y (Yellow) wire.
HJ60 VR and ALT.jpg

In other words; somebody modified the alternator / VR circuit.

Rudi

Thanks guys! At least now I know what to look for. I've had this BJ for about 18 months and not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not. My thoughts were to keep it as near as original as possible in case I do decide to sell, but apparently it's already been modified. Hopefully I can source a 60 series VR stateside. Again thanks for the guidance.

Mr. Rudi - I'm inclined to just procure a stock 3 wire VR and wire it in IAW FSM schematic, but surely whomever made the configuration change, did so for a reason? Got tied up today and didn't get a chance to trace the 5 wires destinations yet.

Rudi is @bj40green

Mr. Rudi - I'm inclined to just procure a stock 3 wire VR and wire it in IAW FSM schematic, but surely whomever made the configuration change, did so for a reason? Got tied up today and didn't get a chance to trace the 5 wires destinations yet.

It depends on your alternator. Post a few pictures of your alternator, especially where the connectors are and the wires goes.

Rudi

For some reason pics won't load today, but I'll try again later, getting system error msg. Here's info from alternator data plate (couldn't make out all the teq #'s). TEQ 2??30-56022, ND 100210-0502, ALT 021000-263 12V, Pump 081000-034. There is one larger gauge wire that read continuity to middle lug right side of VR and positive terminal on battery. There are 3 smaller wires out of alternator that have a connector attached, however the chassis side connector only has 2 wires (white with green stripe and white with black stripe). Black stripe wire is connected to ground. Battery voltage at rest is 12.6V and basically stays there at idle, but increases as RPMs increase - I stopped checking at 16 volts. Ammeter reading barely positive at idle, but pegs to 30A when RPMs increase. I've been driving this rig fairly often for 18 months with no issues until the battery stopped charging, which lead me to the blown ALT fuse, which was after I removed the ALT and took it to local auto electric shop to check it for output, which they said was good.

After reading thru your old very informative thread and getting somewhat educated, I'm reinvestigated my existing regulator condition. I took the cover off early in this process and didn't see any obvious damage or stuck contacts, but armed with your detailed info I'm relooking. one of the insulated wires up the side of upper coil shows some sign of heat but not really burned. Coils themselves look fine. Wish I could post pic of VR with cover removed so you could see what I see but still having issues uploading. My VR configuration is basically two sets of the coil/relays/points stacked up vertically. With key switch in off position both contacts are open. When key is turned CCW to energize glow plugs the bottom contact closes. When key is turned CW to start position bottom contact opens and top contact closes until you release key from start position, at which time it opens again. It stays open at idle and still open at increased RPMs.

PS - I forgot to mention that the contacts in my VR do not appear to be 3 position. They're simply open or closed?

EDITED!!!!

1. Check if you have voltage on the White / Green stripe wire (F terminal) on your VR. The voltge on this wire should drop when the Battery voltage is around 13.6V and goes to zero at 14+ Volts.
If that voltage stays high, your VR stays in the "full charge" mode and will cook your battery.
2. Your VR has 3 positions. A. Lever to the left = full charge, B. Lever in the middle = half charge, C. Lever to the right = no charge (Battery is full). See video in posting #1.

Last edited:
Thanks - I found it and read it before posting my question(s). The issue is my regulator has 5 wires and two sets of coils/contacts internally. In his write up the schematic shows 3 wires and the pics show a single coil/contacts inside his regulator. Going to try to isolate where/how the extra 2 wires on my set up function. Assuming one comes from alternator, another goes to battery, and a ground. The ammeter is connected somehow. The two wires/connector coming out of my VR may go to the gauge? Will confirm this wknd. Thanks again. Finally got the pic to upload. View attachment 1732862

UMMM.... Isn't that the Glow Plug Relay?

Great observation AWhelan and now I'm more confused than ever. I reduced resolution on camera and was able to upload pics of Alternator and VR (at least I think it's the VR) with cover removed. I disconnected the heavy gauge wire on alternator end, and middle right terminal of what I'm calling the VR, checked continuity, it's the same wire. Hard to tell wire colors as they were painted over, but what appears to be a black/yellow stripe wire to top right lug on VR (if it really is the VR?) does NOT have 12V whether key switch is on or off.
Just for clarification there are 3 wires coming out of Alt to a connector - chassis side connector only has 2 wires. Alt also has 1 heavy gauge wire that runs to aforementioned center right lug on VR(?). An again, the contacts on the device I'm looking at, only have 2 positions versus 3 positions? This is embarrassing, but if the item described is not the VR, where would it be located?
What I think is the VR is located under glove box, on firewall in front of passenger seat - right next to Glow Plug solenoid. S o, …. assuming this device is indeed a dual function glow plug relay and VR relay where is the blk/yellow stripe wire that is supposed to provide 12V coming from?
And to recap - I've owned this vehicle 18 months, driven it several times weekly and all was fine until it quit charging battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm stumped.

DSCN0174.JPG

DSCN0176.JPG

Thats the Glow plug Relay!! It looks like its in bad shape and should be cleaned up too!

Voltage regulator is on the pass. firewall under the hood.
I just bought these 3 VR's , yours will have a different connector.
D5FA4507-A206-4A98-8C89-740C402BB960.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom