BJ40 Voltage Regulator Replacement 12 volt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a pic of the interior firewall passenger side. As you can see there are 3 unattached connectors. In this view top right has 3 wires, 2 black, 1 red. Top left has 2 wires, 1 black, 1 black with yellow stripe, the lower connector has 2 wires, 1 black, 1 black with yellow stripe.
So obviously as Rudi pointed out earlier, my rig has been modified. I Googled PNs from ALT data plate, no results? Was thinking maybe someone had changed ALT to one with internal VR. As presently wired the ALT has a connector with 2 wires in chassis harness - 1 to key switch and other is ground. The larger gauge wire (which I assume is output) I believe is wired to the glow plug relay, which makes no sense.
To recap, I'm back where I started, battery not charging, and apparently non stock wiring, but it worked fine for 18 months. At idle ammeter reads slightly positive but pegs at 30A when RPMs increase. As expected voltage at battery increases as RPMs increase. When I first noticed the not charging issue I found blown ALT fuse in panel (2nd from bottom on my fuse panel). After replacing fuse I noticed increased ammeter reading, so I'm assuming something changed to elevate voltage/amps and consequently blew the fuse. I haven't run it extensively yet to see if fuse blows again. It starts and idles fine, I'm just leery of the high amp reading so I haven't driven it out of the shop driveway. Any insight would be appreciated as I obviously have no clue.

DSCN0178.JPG

Take picture from the driver side where the Brake Booster is.
On my '78 the VR was on the driver side just below the Brake Booster.

Bingo! But there are only two wires coming out of VR to chassis connector (see pic), and there's a pigtail on the VR side connector that is not connected to anything? But now I can back up and revisit how to troubleshoot since I'm looking at correct part now. I was hoping when I mentioned the glow plug contact moving it would trigger something with you guys that are familiar with this stuff. Appreciate all y'alls input, and will keep you posted.

DSCN0179.JPG

Bingo! That's your VR! It's a 3 wire VR and there should be 3 wires on both sides of the connector.
3 wire VR connector male.JPG

F = Field (White / Green stripe) and goes to the alternator
E = Earth / ground (White / Black stripe) and goes to the alternator
IG = Ignition (Green / Red stripe) and comes from the fuse / ignition key.
Check contacts inside the VR.

Note: the single blue pigtail is not used. It was for noise suppression for old school AM radios.

Rudi

Last edited:
After removal my old eyes clearly see all 3 wires. There does not appear to be any visible damage anywhere, but it does look like a 40 year old part. Hard to see in the attached pic but with the unit disconnected top contacts are closed, and the 3 position contact is to the left post. Also noticed the connector contacts are pretty grungy and need a good cleaning.
I'm going to order a spare regardless of what I find with this one, There are no visible markings/part numbers but shouldn't be that hard to source, now that I know what it looks like. Still curious - is there a difference in a BJ and FJ 12 volt regulator, and if so why? Thanks again for all your help.

DSCN0181.JPG

The part number is 67700-60080 and must have a BLACK connector.
CCOT is selling this After Market model with a black connector (not shown) and a green adapter set (for FJ's).
The only difference between a FJ and a BJ VR is the connector. The green and the black connectors are different.
Nr 1 in this link -► Voltage Regulators - Great Aftermarket Parts
or go to Nr 6 on that same page.

Or check other vendors here on Mud.

Rudi

I used my local independent parts guy to source replacement unit. His database showed PN VR470, so he ordered one, which was a plug and play replacement(Box labeled as Intermotor Genuine Import Parts). I installed it and it appears to have corrected the overcharging issue - however I've only driven it around the farm and no highway miles yet so too soon to tell. Appreciate everyone's help.
BTW - can anyone tell me where to source a parts manual for late 70's non US BJ40? I've looked about but no luck and I haven't figured out the vendor tab here. Thanks again.

Good job. When you rev up the engine above 1500 rpm and the voltage doesn't go higher then 14.8V everything is fine.
For parts I use this website: -► ToyoDIY.com

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom