BJ40 clutch fork pivot point. Can you adjust (lengthen) it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

I'm having some clutch issues. I can't release my clutch on my recently reassembled BJ40. The clutch hydraulic system is all working fine including the slave and master cylinder.

I've also tried adjusting the salve cylinder arm to it's maximum. It now seems like the clutch fork pivot arm is adjusted in to far. Are these pivot balls even adjustable on the BJ40 trucks? (Damn toyodiy.com with their removed images :mad:)

If they are, is it possible to adjust them without splitting the engine and gearbox? Tiny socket possibly? But what size? Has anyone got a photo?

I've attached some images below that may help. I'd love some help here.

BJ60 pivot adjustment
attachment.php

from an FJ40 i think...
d1e0d07b6b04917d6e9ca442eb1b1bce.image.750x545.jpg

attachment.php

Here are some pics for a 1979 BJ40:

PivotBJ40Clutch.jpg

Clutch8.jpg

Clutch9.jpg

clutchslaveBiggs2.jpg

clutchslaveBiggs1.jpg

So I don't think the pivot is supposed to be adjusted..

Why don't you get underneath and check the travel to make sure your slave is indeed moving the release bearing far enough forward.

(You should be able to move the fork by hand till the bearing hits the pressure-plate-finger ... so you just need to check the slave pushes it that much further when someone has their foot down on the clutch.

If the movement is OK but the clutch still doesn't disengage, perhaps the plate is locked in place with rust and mud. (If so, maybe towing it a short distance in first gear with your foot on the clutch may force it to break free.)

:beer:

PivotBJ40Clutch.jpg

Clutch8.jpg

Clutch9.jpg

clutchslaveBiggs2.jpg

clutchslaveBiggs1.jpg

thanks Tom for your helpful reply.

I got a little frustrated with the clutch issues today after I posted this thread and decided to remove the engine to investigate fully. It only took about 1 hour total thanks to having a forklift nearby.

I removed the rad, both batteries and holders, turbo pipes, exhaust, wiring loom etc.
2014-03-07%2018.36.56.jpg

I then did many tests to try to establish the cause of my problem including confirming that the clutch could be manually released with a pinch leaver. I eventually concluded that the PO had installed some kind of non-Toyota cluch / pressure plate. The clutch fork was not able to release the clutch even when on full extension.

I decided to bend the clutch fork arm in a hydraulic press by about 15mm at the end. The then meant that the clutch fork 'should' operate before it begins hitting the bellhousing.
2014-03-07%2018.37.14.jpg

Reassembly is tomorrow morning, i'll let you know how it goes...

I eventually concluded that the PO had installed some kind of non-Toyota cluch / pressure plate.:

So long as the important specs match OEM, that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's two aftermarket versions that AFAIK both work/worked OK

Clutch6.jpg

Clutches.jpg

The problem wasn't connected to the release bearing or the way it was mounted then?

Clutch6.jpg

Clutches.jpg

SOLVED!!!!!

After refitting the engine the problem still persisted so I took it out for a second time.

The time I removed the clutch and it's pressure plate to discover that the clutch was seized solid into the pressure plate. It was so seized that I needed to separate it with a flat screwdriver and hammer.

I've just finished putting the engine back in for the second time and the clutch appears to be working as it rock it back and forth in the garage. I'll put the ancillary bits back in and being it for a drive later tonight. I'll update you guys on how it goes..

saludos, he armado mi caja H41, cambie baleros todos, coloque la palanca de cambios pero al darle arranque al motor, la caja esta engranada, pense era la orquilla en mala posicion pero esta de simple el acople en las muñequillas, no es aqui el problema, sigue pegada como engranada y solo el arranque es rapido si presiono el pedal del embrague!!! que podra ser?

Hello There,

Anybody has an idea about where to get the spring for the slave cylinder or the part number ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom