BJ40 24v Alternator rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi Guys,

Would anyone know what guage copper wire is best to rewind the rotor coil in a 24v alternator?

I have mine out and am going to have a go at rewinding the rotor.

No one is able to rewind them here and I am having fitment issues with aftermarket alternators.

Being able to keep the stock alternator is also a plus for me.

I have a multimeter and going to have a go.

It is for the early B 2977 cc diesel.

And is non solderable insulated copper wire the best to use?

Thanks!
ToyotaDyna

----

Looking for a LHD, Diesel, Land Cruiser?

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:
What happened to your alternator that you need to rewind it?

Aside from external wiring issues usually the only issues with them and most alternators are voltage regulator, bad diode or worn brushes/commutator.

What happened to your alternator that you need to rewind it?

Aside from external wiring issues usually the only issues with them and most alternators are voltage regulator, bad diode or worn brushes/commutator.
Thanks for your reply.

I left it into an auto electric shop and gave them spare brushes I had to fit.

He apparently tested It too and said It was all good.

When I fitted it again and turned the key to the on position and it blew the engine fuse.

So I brought the whole truck back.

They tested the alternator again and said it was the rotor but that they cannot rebuild alternators.

I have tried a few shops that advertised electric motor rebuilds and alternator rebulids
But now none of them will rebuild an alternator here anymore ( I'm on the Canary Islands, Spain )

I have It open now and am just testing everything with my multimeter and am going to have a go at rebuilding when I find the problem.

I will post up the pictures if I manage to find the problem.

Just before the problem I got a strong burning smell when driving ( a few days before it happened too )

I also fitted a new voltage regulator and an original Toyota one that I managed to pick up ( its an external regulator ) and that was no difference.

ToyotaDyna

----

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?

Last edited:
My rotor was bad too (low resistance), I'm going to try to find a place in the US that can rewind it eventually.
ALTERNATOR 25Amp New OE no 1002102290 for Toyota | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/183913658536 this is the one I used as a replacement for now (I have other posts about it in my profile). Though I have a 2B engine from 1981, so not sure how it compares.
Thanks,

I have one of the newer 24 v alternators. Today I picked up a newer alternator bracket from a friend that bolts straight to my block and the narrower alternator will fit.

Now I can try rewind my original and keep it as a spare.

Also, when I opened mine, there was a loose connection from the stator to the rectifier, but that could be from when I opened it.

According to the muiltmeter, my rotor is toast.

Dirtyham - it would be much easier alright but I would like to keep it as stock as possible, but thank you.

ToyotaDyna

______

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?

Last edited:
I wish I could help with your original question...

You should keep us posted on how the rewind goes though, I bet some people might find it interesting, I certainly would.

I wish I could help with your original question...

You should keep us posted on how the rewind goes though, I bet some people might find it interesting, I certainly would.
Thanks!

I'm just waiting for the magnet wire to arrive and will post the pics of the process if it works out or not.

ToyotaDyna

-------

Looking for a LHD Diesel Land Cruiser?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom