BJ 74 Transmission Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m the proud new owner of a 1988 JDM BJ74 Land Cruiser. I live near Seattle, WA (don’t worry, I’m Corona Virus free!). I bought it online from Japanese Classics and, unfortunately, it’s still located in Virginia. I’m tentatively planning on flying to there and driving it back to Washington State, a nearly 3,000 mile journey.

It has the factory 3.4 13B-T motor and an automatic transmission, which I believe to be the A440F (please correct me if I’m wrong). The vehicle, believe it or not, has only 89,000 kilometers on the odometer, looking to have been driven little and well cared for its first 32 years of life.

Do you guy’s (with your collective wisdom), think transmission wise that this BJ74 will make the 3,000 mile trip? Should I install an external cooler before setting out? If so is there a particular brand/type of cooler that you recommend that fits the BJ74? Does anyone know the diameter of the trans cooling hoses?

Secondly, I’m very interested in Rodney from Australia's valve body upgrade. I don’t see the 70 series Land Cruisers on his website, but there are the 60 series. I think the 60 diesel’s also used the A440F transmission – is this correct, and if so, does anyone know if his valve body upgrade will fit on my BJ74? Will this upgrade give a noticeable improvement in acceleration (and longevity and fuel economy)? Does anyone have a recommendation for the Heavy Duty Nomad vs. the Extreme?

I’m very mechanically inclined, having performed a variety of minor through major maintenance and upgrades/restoration on my vehicles through the years. But other than dropping a pan to change the fluid/filter, I’ve never worked on transmissions. Is the valve body upgrade something I should be able to install myself, or should that be left for a professional?

I know this is a bunch of questions, but you guys are the experts. I’m leaving for a camping trip shortly, so will be off the net for the rest of the weekend, but I eagerly await your replies upon my return!

Thanks!

P.S.

Here’s a link to my BJ 74’s advertisement with a lot of pictures.

Congratulations on your new BJ74! It looks FANTASTIC. I would not worry about a transmission cooler. Something to think about if you are towing, but you shouldn't need it for a cross country drive. I would check and change all fluids if it hasn't been done recently. It's good to have a new baseline for everything. The cross country drive will put stress and strain on the engine. Long hours at sustained speeds will probably stress things in ways they would not have been stressed as a daily driver. I would preemptively change the thermostat, rad cap, coolant and make sure to really flush the engine and radiator. A lot of junk accumulates at various points and you want to get them out before they shake loose on your drive. Don't forget to set front and rear heaters to HOT. I would also change the coolant hoses. That would be a MUST DO for me if I was driving an untested/unstressed vehicle across country. Having one of those split mid-drive will not be fun to deal with. Not a lot of 70 series radiator hoses at Pep Boys. I would also have the brakes checked. Fluid flushed if its not clear and all four corners checked to make sure nothing is sticking/hanging up. That will bring you to a stop too.... I don't know what folks do for phone charging in a 24v truck, mines 12v. Can you just plug a charger into the cigarette lighter safely? I'd check on that. After that, I'd make sure to bring something to play your favorite tunes and some snacks. I'm in Greensboro, NC. You may be passing through if you take I40. You can message me if you are running into any trouble or would like to stop for lunch/dinner/coffee/fuel. Good luck with the truck and with the ride. Post pictures and keep us updated!

I wouldn't worry about the auto unless it summer and you have larger tires or towing, the trans cooler is good peace of mind and a good "while you are in there" when you go to flush the trans fluid at some point.

Every thing Chris said is excellent advice! Have fun on the drive!

I’m the proud new owner of a 1988 JDM BJ74 Land Cruiser. I live near Seattle, WA (don’t worry, I’m Corona Virus free!). I bought it online from Japanese Classics and, unfortunately, it’s still located in Virginia. I’m tentatively planning on flying to there and driving it back to Washington State, a nearly 3,000 mile journey.

It has the factory 3.4 13B-T motor and an automatic transmission, which I believe to be the A440F (please correct me if I’m wrong). The vehicle, believe it or not, has only 89,000 kilometers on the odometer, looking to have been driven little and well cared for its first 32 years of life.

Do you guy’s (with your collective wisdom), think transmission wise that this BJ74 will make the 3,000 mile trip? Should I install an external cooler before setting out? If so is there a particular brand/type of cooler that you recommend that fits the BJ74? Does anyone know the diameter of the trans cooling hoses?

Secondly, I’m very interested in Rodney from Australia's valve body upgrade. I don’t see the 70 series Land Cruisers on his website, but there are the 60 series. I think the 60 diesel’s also used the A440F transmission – is this correct, and if so, does anyone know if his valve body upgrade will fit on my BJ74? Will this upgrade give a noticeable improvement in acceleration (and longevity and fuel economy)? Does anyone have a recommendation for the Heavy Duty Nomad vs. the Extreme?

I’m very mechanically inclined, having performed a variety of minor through major maintenance and upgrades/restoration on my vehicles through the years. But other than dropping a pan to change the fluid/filter, I’ve never worked on transmissions. Is the valve body upgrade something I should be able to install myself, or should that be left for a professional?

I know this is a bunch of questions, but you guys are the experts. I’m leaving for a camping trip shortly, so will be off the net for the rest of the weekend, but I eagerly await your replies upon my return!

Thanks!

P.S.

Here’s a link to my BJ 74’s advertisement with a lot of pictures.

nice truck! I would also be very very careful of the cooling system. Thats what happened wi the previous owner of mine. Got it here and on the free way blew a hose, the head gasket and piston scarring.

tires might be fun too. They look like bias ply.
Nice truck

I am fortunate to own both an Auto AND manual BJ74's. They auto will be fine. We drove ours from Calgary to Arizona But, while it is fine... it sucks. Hate it. Hate. It. Full of Hate.

You can try the Rodney valve kits. But it will always be an old mechanical auto. It's kind of like trying to train a cat to play fetch... I suppose its technically possible, but it would really be a lot easier to just get a dog.

If you REALLY want an auto transmission, I would be looking at adapting a modern ZF 8HP with an aftermarket computer. The modern computer controlled 8 and 10 speed auto's seemed to have resolved most of the things that are terrible about old fashioned autos, and actually allow yoru engine to deliver MORE power and economy, instead of drastically less like that crappy, A440.

But... if you are mechanically inclined... put a manual transmission in there. My manual transmission BJ74's are WAY more enjoyable to drive. I am about to adapt a ZF S5-42 into my BJ74.... stand by for my build thread on that in the next month.

The vehicle, believe it or not, has only 89,000 kilometers on the odometer

Probably not. Too many of these have had the odometer altered. Maybe I m wrong but be aware of it. They are an easy vehicle to spruce up and make them look like new but if you have a genuine example, congratulations.
Your 3000 mile journey is a piece of cake for this vehicle. I would change the fluid and go. Wait until you are home before you add coolers. I only ever drove one of these once and I wasn't a fan of the transmission. It just didn't seem to be in the same universe as the engine which is a good one.
The A440 is a reliable transmission, but sucks the power from engines. But Im not sure the swap with a 5 sp is a worth it.

When I first got my BJ74, some investigation showed radiator rot on the front side where it was covered by the aircon condenser.
I had been driving around for 6 months before I discovered it...the truck ran fine in spite of it.

If you drive through Charlottesville VA on Route 64, I can tell you what radiator shop to go to. They can put real 1988 freon in your ac as well.

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom guys. Yes, I had thought about the possibility of the odometer being rolled back. 89,000 km almost seems too good to be true. With only a factory AM radio (who didn’t opt for an AM/FM/Cassette deck in 1988?), I’m hoping that the original owner was an elderly Japanese man who had no use for an FM radio or tape player. Of course the flip side of this could be that it was a farm or ranch vehicle that got the crap beat out of it. We’ll see…

It’s good to know that with the possible exception of radiator hoses, cap and maybe a fan belt, everyone thinks it should make the trip just fine.

No, I’m not dead set on an auto transmission, it’s only that this BJ74 happens to have it. At some point I might seriously consider a five speed swap. I might also consider a swap to a modern transmission that Behemoth60 suggested, too. You know though, it’s always difficult to convince the wife that it’s a good idea to sink more money into a new toy. She still hasn’t quite got over the time and money that I’ve put into my 1989 BMW E30…

I’ll be heading north when I pick it up, so I won’t be passing by Greensboro, otherwise I’d love to show off the LC over lunch or dinner, Chris. But I will post pictures once she’s in my possession! JBblueridge, I might just be able to swing by Charlottesville on my way out. I noticed the R134 sticker, too. I chalked that up to possibly of the Japanese switching over from R12 before the states. Were they still using R12 in 1988 in Japan? That’s one of the things I did myself with the E30 – convert to R134. I did it correctly, with a vacuum pump, manifold gauges, and changing to a new compressor, condenser, evaporator and R134 O-rings.

Does anyone know of a “one stop shop” to get basic tune up/maintenance parts (belts, hoses, filters, etc., etc.? I’ve found several different parts suppliers, but none that seem to offer everything in one place.

Again guy’s, thanks for the advice. I’m sure I’ll be hitting up the ih8mud forums quite a bit in the future. Can’t wait to get my hands on the new (to me), LC!

but none that seem to offer everything in one place.
Some of your american shops do a good job but I doubt any of them will have everything.
You need access to a parts manual. From there you can get the exact part number and begin comparing them and how much they cost.
Many of the parts are found on other 7* and 6* series, especially electrical, filters and drivetrain.
Your air filter for example is 17801-68020
and is used on North American 40, 60 and 80 series
Oil filter 15600-41010 is also used on other models sold in North America
You can also find a lot of parts just by googling a part number.
The best way is to find a good source and stockpile a few.

All I know about the R12 thing is the guys at Hensley's Radiator in Charlottesville put reclaimed freon into my 1988 JDM BJ74... they said it is what the system was meant to use.
Hensley's also has a custom tubes and hose making section
And
they are right next door to Cole's Import Service. The owner of Cole's has an FJ55 he is working on and he loves Cruisers.
Cole's and Hensley's have both worked on my BJ.

If you have trouble in the first 65 miles, that's who you should call.

UVA Charlottesville has no students right now so virus infection rate is minimal.

Looking back at photos, it’s pretty clean overall in the pictures.

repaint and the bottom has been over sprayed with black. Is what it is with imports, especially 70 series land cruiser
Once in person you will find out lots more on it.

the auto tranny is meh at best, but there is some kick down cable adjustment that can make it feel much better and have more power. Most of those cables are all out of adjustment.

08A5A56F-9B50-42BF-84B9-206C65FFF1D9.png

Watch rpms as well. You will want to ditch those bias ply tires for various reasons, but 30” tires will make it rev high on the highway. These weren’t really designed to roll 75mph all day. Watch

My guess the Elderly Japanese owner :rofl: Was a smoker as evidence by the wear on the ashtray, and it seems. A LOT of the JDM rigs were smoked in. that seat tear is very common from sliding in and out.

Should be a great cross country trip, I would have a blast. Take lots of pictures and keep us updated.

I own/drive an auto BJ74 (aka Jenny) and have found it surprisingly decent to drive. For background it’s my 4th 13BT powered 7x, priors were a stock auto 74 and a built up 71 & 74 with the H55F. I absolutely prefer the 5spd manual and was collecting parts at the onset of buying my current BJ74. Fast forward 4 years and its apparently never been enough of an issue to force myslef to spent the time to swap. My longest road trip is about 1500 miles but I wouldn’t hesitate to do 3k so long as I’m not in a particular hurry :D The AC blows cold, the 7x seating is relatively comfortable and they ride better than an FJ40 :D

As for parts, we stock a great deal of 13BT/7x parts @ Cruisers. We have all of the belts (OE and aftermarket), radiator hoses, oil, fuel & air filters, water pump, thermostat, common steering refresh items, etc... all in stock in Utah. Let us know if we can help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom