bj 40 transfer unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ron

Threads
HI AGAIN ,HOPE EVERY BODY HAD A GOOD CHRISTMAS AND I WISH EVERY ONE A HAPPY NEW YEAR
I have just recieved my chris present,ita a 1979 [reg] BJ40.completely rebuilt,soft top
It has a B engine and is fitted with a electric solonoid cut off on the fuel pump,turns off engine at the ignition switch.
my other BJ stops when you pull the fuel pump rack shut off
Is this an original part or has it been modified
The transfer box has a vacume operated shift with a switch to operate the electric soloniod
which i think allows the vacumn to change high to low??
The high/low shifter has only 2h and 4low marked on the stick
and the instructions on the plate to operate it is in japanese so cant read it.
does it have 4h n 4low or is it 2h n 4low
Have photos if you would like
regds
Ron :cheers:

Your newer BJ40 probably has the EDIC (electronic deisel injection control) motor. If so that's a standard part for the 3B trucks as well. All the 3B's normally available here in North America were supplied with the EDIC motor.

the '79 b came with the EDIC as did i think all the diesels, although a vacuum shift is new, the standard came with the mechanical shift 3(4) position t-case which was Hi2 Hi4 Lo4 (Lo2).

Post up a photo for us.

Sam

here are some shots of this car
no 1 ,is the transfer gear operation plate [cant translate it]
the others are just pics
Ron

the 4wd is engaged when you pull the "ED" knob from what I can read on the plate. BTW it looks like a 43/46 longer wheelbase/ linger overhang to me :D

Hi Ferg
thanks your info,
the shift stick is merked 2h-4low.
i tried the low gear ,it works ok n i presume its working in 4wd but how to check if its working in 4high ??
the only way would be to put it up on aaxle stands n see what happens,
its got lockrites fitted f n r so cant jack one side
Ron

get it on the wet grass and give it some to start with you and a friend hanging out the window. If the front wheels skid you'll have 4-hi. If they dont get underneith and see what the deal is.

sam

the tub def looks a bit longer like the 41, but the wheelbase looks like a standard 40 from the position of the back wheel to the door. But being a jap model, it could be fac standard as well. Is the tub re-fabricated? Or is it a standard? -nice colour too- ,)

its the same wheel base as my 1979 BJ40 91ins but the back is about 6ins longer from the c/l of the rear wheel
the hard top is 29ins n the conv is 34ins ,we have not altered the tub only fixed a highlux rear tail gate

pics of my hard top which we use for jungle trecking

now thats a nice machine if i ever saw one ;)

Some old N.A. spec cruisers had the dash mounted pull knob. My buddies dad's '68 FJ40 has it still--though I don't know what his shift lever is marked... I'd wager some cold cash that that's what it is though: knob goes 2WD to 4WD and lever goes from hi to low. Dunno why it's marked 2H and 4L... Probably so as to not confuse most people? Can you get it down in 4L without pullin' the knob?

Also, some Canadian Cruisers (with the B engine?) had vacuum operated 4WD that operated on a pull knob or a switch and had a lever to go from Lo to High.

Regardless, I think you should take it out to some grass or dirt or mud and just test it out (unless you have access to a lift...).

Did I mention SWEET RIGS!!!? Where are you located?

-Ferg-

Thanks all of you guys for your help.
Yesterday we tried it out in some deep mud with my friend looking out the window [thats good for a laugh he dont raelise what happens when you turn the wheel so he could see got a face full[ never mind we had a few later ] n it did what you said it would
If you are in 4H n pull the soloniod switch out it goes into 4wd highm you leave the switch on n shift to 4low that works too [MAGIC]
Now we can go n play with it
Wish i could buy you guys a beer,thanks a lot
hope this helps some one else out some time
Regds
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom