Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys are the experts, and that makes sense.

So I will install the 4 Billy shocks and 4 Billy springs. Question is what Perch to put the front in, to have the least amount of rake, yet being functional.

Perch 5 at 2.6 vs Perch 4 at 2.2?
There are posts earlier in this thread going for a similar setup with a perch at 4 and things looked good. Bilstein developed the front struts to operate with a stock UCA in mind. Perch 4 probably keeps you well within the margin they intended.

There are posts earlier in this thread going for a similar setup with a perch at 4 and things looked good. Bilstein developed the front struts to operate with a stock UCA in mind. Perch 4 probably keeps you well within the margin they intended.
Excellent. I had read this thread a few times, but will need to go through it all again tonight.

My bet is with bilstein springs and 4th perch you’ll have between 1/2” to 075” rake

My bet is with bilstein springs and 4th perch you’ll have between 1/2” to 075” rake
Since you have done diff perches and diff springs- really appreciate your help

with rear bil springs on, would you recommend a perch 4 or 5 for me in the front?

for minimal rake I would do 5th, however consider your desired overall lift... A big factor for me was fitting in my garage and certain parking lots, especially with ski rack on...

for minimal rake I would do 5th, however consider your desired overall lift... A big factor for me was fitting in my garage and certain parking lots, especially with ski rack on...
my truck spends its life out on a farm and wandering the outdoors.

shaved and clean roof - nothing up there

i dont want ride to suffer too much

4th maybe best for me

TOMORROW IS INSTALL DAY.. yay

Parts I have :
4 bilstein shocks,
all 4 springs.
I have rear 30mm spacers
I have front OEM spacers.
STOCK UCA.

These are my options:

OPTION 1:
Bilsteins Front perch 4 (2.2 inch)
OEM Rear springs + 30mm spacer (1.1 inch rear)

OPTION 2:
Bilstein Front Perch 4 (2.2 inch)
Bilstein Rear Springs (1.75 inch)

OPTION 3: (this is the weird out of the box option)
Bilstein Front Perch 4 + OEM spacer (2.2 inch)+ OEM spacer
Bilstein Rear Springs (1.75inch)

OPTION 4: (most hesitant about this, as a perch 5+ stock UCA not sure how it will be)
Bilstein Front Perch 5 (2.6inch)
Bilstein Rear Springs (1.75 inch)

Anybody have any alignment specs they recommend? Driving to alignment after I finish install.

Thoughts, appreciated.
Im Bil
my truck spends its life out on a farm and wandering the outdoors.

shaved and clean roof - nothing up there

i dont want ride to suffer too much

4th maybe best for me
I finally received and installed rear Bikstein shocks, so for over a month I am on Bilstein coils and shocks all around. 4th perch up front. Rear Bilstein coils have a 15mm spacer up top = .75” rake.

If I could do it all over, I would do 5th perch up front as I have rake to spare or have option to use 30mm in rear instead of 15. I am unsure of rake for 5th perch and was planning to run some trials next year on 15mm vs 30mm for rear coil spacers. May as well do rear coil airbags while you are in there. I have zero psi in mine now but like the option of extra support for towing. I went with stateside firestone but I would get the Aussie kevlar bagged ones.

Took some time for this all to settle in height-wise. Handling is phenomenal on and off road. Really had fun beating the s*** out of it on some dry hard dirt moguls. While I was waiting on rear Bilstein shocks, for 3 months approx I had new ARB Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber - 61029‘s in rear and have now found the Bilstein’s handle better, hair taller too. I needed 10psi with those to equal rake I get with Bilstein rear shocks (& no psi in rear airbags).

For best/most consistent rake measurements, i would use a ruled level. A spray paint can lid/top fits perfectly over our oem wheel’s center cap….measure from top of that to your fender bottom (level & plumb) = more precise & consistent measurement.

I had alignment done at Toyota. I guess its good enough, no pulling but I need to get another one now that everything has settled.

Im Bil

I finally received and installed rear Bikstein shocks, so for over a month I am on Bilstein coils and shocks all around. 4th perch up front. Rear Bilstein coils have a 15mm spacer up top = .75” rake.

If I could do it all over, I would do 5th perch up front as I have rake to spare or have option to use 30mm in rear instead of 15. I am unsure of rake for 5th perch and was planning to run some trials next year on 15mm vs 30mm for rear coil spacers. May as well do rear coil airbags while you are in there. I have zero psi in mine now but like the option of extra support for towing. I went with stateside firestone but I would get the Aussie kevlar bagged ones.

Took some time for this all to settle in height-wise. Handling is phenomenal on and off road. Really had fun beating the s*** out of it on some dry hard dirt moguls. While I was waiting on rear Bilstein shocks, for 3 months approx I had new ARB Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber - 61029‘s in rear and have now found the Bilstein’s handle better, hair taller too. I needed 10psi with those to equal rake I get with Bilstein rear shocks (& no psi in rear airbags).

For best/most consistent rake measurements, i would use a ruled level. A spray paint can lid/top fits perfectly over our oem wheel’s center cap….measure from top of that to your fender bottom (level & plumb) = more precise & consistent measurement.

I had alignment done at Toyota. I guess its good enough, no pulling but I need to get another one now that everything has settled.
thank you. getting my coffee and starting install

The higher you go, the more you're shortening you're useable travel, there is most definitely a tradeoff that I wouldn't make for rake aesthetics

The higher you go, the more you're shortening you're useable travel, there is most definitely a tradeoff that I wouldn't make for rake aesthetics
Yeah I am sticking with perch 4.

I finished the rear. Got stuck on work meetings. Have one side done (driver). Hoping to finish the passenger tomorrow and button it up.

Yeah I am sticking with perch 4.

I finished the rear. Got stuck on work meetings. Have one side done (driver). Hoping to finish the passenger tomorrow and button it up.
my response on travel isn't limitation isn't technically correct, you dont lose overall travel, but it negatively impacts operation and you will feel it "top out" as you've lost down travel by gaining that height.

You've seen the 200 that looks like it skipped leg day, sitting high with no tire to fill that massive fender gap? His ride quality sucks, he just doesn't know any better...in my opinion, of course

my response on travel isn't limitation isn't technically correct, you dont lose overall travel, but it negatively impacts operation and you will feel it "top out" as you've lost down travel by gaining that height.

You've seen the 200 that looks like it skipped leg day, sitting high with no tire to fill that massive fender gap? His ride quality sucks, he just doesn't know any better...in my opinion, of course
i am light small tire guy (275/65/18) thus perch 4 is right

cant afford 34/35 and 10 mpg :)

finally done!! love it

no more nose dive
nice and tight handling
kept the rake
will add daytime pics tmrw

IMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

Drove about 150 miles on the Bilsteins. No more nose dive on braking. Excellent handling dynamics. Lot firmer turn in not wallowy.

Feels like went from Lexus LS to Lexus IS.

Really happy with it.

Perch 4
Stock UCA - aligned excellent

22” front
22.5” Rear

SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PICS

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2210.jpg

Last edited:
Drove about 150 miles on the Bilsteins. No more nose dive on braking. Excellent handling dynamics. Lot firmer turn in not wallowy.

Feels like went from Lexus LS to Lexus IS.

Really happy with it.

Perch 4
Stock UCA - aligned excellent

22” front
22.5” Rear

SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PICS

View attachment 3496062

View attachment 3496064

View attachment 3496065

View attachment 3496066
Looks great and yes, Bilsteins handle so well on road, I'm constantly tempted to replace the King setup with them. If only I could get the 8112 setup

Looks great and yes, Bilsteins handle so well on road, I'm constantly tempted to replace the King setup with them. If only I could get the 8112 setup
Thanks, appreciate it!

At 270K miles, I needed the new setup. Feels like a new car.

Also I want to GIVE A BIG SHOUT OUT to all the members on this thread, who have really helped me out with information, pics, PM. I really appreciate all of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom