Big Cypress Preserve info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
we spoke breifly about this at louis's house. i wanted to see what all was involved so, what i found out is. 1 we need a free drivers permit issued at the visitors center 2 we need to have our vehicles inspected. 3 we need the annual vehicle permit for the vehicle which is 50$ for the year. the permits run from january to january with no proration if we dont sign up until september or whenever. also they only issue 2000 per year first come first served. they look like they have extensive trails and free back country camping so it does look like a great place to spend the weekend. heres a link to the pdf for the requirements
http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/Permit-guidelines-2011.pdf
and a link to their info section on the area.
http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/orv-use.htm

i will call in tomorrow to see if they even have any permits available for this year.:cheers:

Last edited:
I heard big cypress is fun and i heard you need to a snorkel and good tires. Dont know how much of this is true.

there's a place that does tours of the swamp in a stock h2 with AT's so I think our cruisers will be fine. I think it'llbe a lot like richloam as far as the water levels varying through the seasons. it is basically everglades tho so iit'll defiantly be wet.

Last edited:
theyre not open untill thursday so ill let youll know then if theres any permits left for the year.

I got ahold of them finally after calling for an hour and a half. he said they still have about 1000 permits left for the year but the only section we would be allowed in would be bear island, because of water levels the other tracts are only open to air boats and swamp buggies. he sais it's at least 5 feet in most areas in the rainy season. he said there's still plenty of deep areas in bear island and plenty of places we can stop and camp. After Gsmtr I definitely would like to drive down and check it out. I like the idea of being able to pay once and go back all year and camp and run around. they just give you the gate code and you go whenever you want.

We went a few times late March through early Summer and it was always pretty dry. Some good trails, a few got really tight and definitely did some pinstriping but those were rougher and more fun imho. I have seen videos of it quite a bit wetter but have not personally seen it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom