Big bend solo late February (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this, i couldn’t really find a trip planning section.

I’m planning to head to big bend in late February, more than likely going solo with my 7 year old. It’s his birthday trip and planning to stay 5-7 nights depending on feedback. Timing is late February.

I’m starting my research, and it looks like backcountry camping is first come first serve only reservable at the park office.

Is 5 nights enough to explore what needs to be seen at big bend?
Any hidden gems that aren’t known on the average google search?

Planning on running black gap trail, it doesn’t look to technical other than the one rock ledge area.

Planning to have my aux fuel tank installed by then, which will allow me to have 40+ gallons of fuel on board.

Hot spring along the rio is a planned stop, hoping it’s not packed with people.

Hoping to learn some camera settings to be able to capture some of the dark sky and land scape.

Oh and obviously I’ll be taking the 100 unless something drastic happens.

Pic for the thread.

BFEC53BB-C021-43C7-8B23-E06B1A8D15A2.png

I recommend asking this in the club section - Texas LCA Austin chapter.

Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this, i couldn’t really find a trip planning section.

I’m planning to head to big bend in late February, more than likely going solo with my 7 year old. It’s his birthday trip and planning to stay 5-7 nights depending on feedback. Timing is late February.

I’m starting my research, and it looks like backcountry camping is first come first serve only reservable at the park office.

Is 5 nights enough to explore what needs to be seen at big bend?
Any hidden gems that aren’t known on the average google search?

Planning on running black gap trail, it doesn’t look to technical other than the one rock ledge area.

Planning to have my aux fuel tank installed by then, which will allow me to have 40+ gallons of fuel on board.

Hot spring along the rio is a planned stop, hoping it’s not packed with people.

Hoping to learn some camera settings to be able to capture some of the dark sky and land scape.

Oh and obviously I’ll be taking the 100 unless something drastic happens.

Pic for the thread.

View attachment 2855452
I've got a few zillion ideas. I've been making multiple trips per year to Big Bend for over a decade. Mostly for nightscapes and time lapse. It's not Utah :) The most technical road there is Black Gap and I had full size Toyota pickup follow me through. He got some desert pin striping, it's an interesting drive though.

I'm pretty sure I can point you to more things than you'll have time to see. Including gems. We'll have to talk offline for those.

Don’t worry about fuel- there’s a gas station next to the ranger station.

There’s nothing technical in the National Park- some rough 2 track but hey you’re not going there to “wheel” right. The vistas and topography are unbelievable.

FYI- With the high number of illegal border crossings, we were told to break camp every day to avoid getting gear stolen. Especially if you’re staying in any of the camp sites near the river.

5 nights is way plenty. Enjoy all the turnouts on River Road that dead end into the Rio. Food and fuel are in the park. I have quite a few writups. Search my name and Big Bend and read away

Thanks W. I’ll see if I can find them. I searched big bend on here with no great results although I’m sure it’s a well covered topic!

Don’t worry about fuel- there’s a gas station next to the ranger station.

There’s nothing technical in the National Park- some rough 2 track but hey you’re not going there to “wheel” right. The vistas and topography are unbelievable.

FYI- With the high number of illegal border crossings, we were told to break camp every day to avoid getting gear stolen. Especially if you’re staying in any of the camp sites near the river.

Good to know on fuel, that explains why I wasn’t seeing much about fuel concerns in my search.

Correct, not going to wheel- going to enjoy.

I plan on moving daily, thanks for the info!

Thank you!

5-6 days is perfect. You should spend a couple of those over in the State Park. It’s more isolated. Whether there or the NP, steer clear of the established campgrounds until you need a little civilization, store, restaurant, etc…. Actually avoid them then too and go to Terlingua for that stuff. The park campgrounds are mostly RV parking lots and tent cities.

Here’s a few pics of my last trip to BBRSP. The campsite was La Mota 1, north of tge Sauceda Visitor Center, deep up into the State Park. It's about 27 miles of dirt road to get to that area. The bottom pic was one of the Madera campsites on River Road, also in the State Park.

8B89174B-BADF-4262-BE52-F73FCB60DE32.jpeg
92DBE637-0195-4976-9F2D-26047738DEF7.jpeg
0C8BA2BE-565C-434C-9371-734EF49800B8.jpeg

Last edited:
5-6 days is perfect. You should spend a couple of those over in the State Park. It’s more isolated. Whether there or the NP, steer clear of the established campgrounds until you need a little civilization, store, restaurant, etc…. Actually avoid them then too and go to Terlingua for that stuff. The park campgrounds are mostly RV parking lots and tent cities.

Here’s a few pics of my last trip to BBRSP. The campsite was La Mota 1, north of tge Sauceda Visitor Center, deep up into the State Park. It's about 27 miles of dirt road to get to that area. The bottom pic was one of the Madera campsites on River Road, also in the State Park.

View attachment 2856143View attachment 2856144View attachment 2856146

Amazing pics. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom