Big Bend NP in a stock GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We'll be driving our '04 GX470 from Arizona back to Louisiana, and think about spending some time in Big Bend National Park. We've never been there before, and I'd like to ask about must-do's and absolutely-don't's.

The vehicle has a clean bill of health, and a set of Kumho AT tires; I think they're a tiny bit bigger than stock. The vehicle is for blacktop duty, so there's currently none of the usual lift/big tires/tools/spare parts/air compressor/winch stuff that's on our 'wheeling trucks. No Hi-lift since there aren't any attachment points. Extra water won't be a problem, but extra fuel isn't going to happen.

I suppose we'll be fine on dirt roads; we'll bring one of the little MV90 air compressors along so we can adjust air pressure in the tires. In addition to the paved roads, I'm mainly thinking about Old Maverick Road and Old Ore Road, and perhaps a little bit of River Road from either side. Perhaps Terlingua Ranch Road. Two or three single day trips, no camping; haven't decided on accommodations; exact route probably to be planned depending on fuel availability.

Anyone have advice on do's and don'ts?

Thanks, michael

Last edited:
You will be fine on those roads. Definitely do the section of River Road that has the old mercury mine and check out Terilingua Abajo off Old Maverick Road. With the exception of Black Gap Road, you will be abel to handle the back country drives out there in your vehicle.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback!

Back from the trip.
Westbound leg happened end of August, just one day ahead of Hurricane Laura.
Road Trip 2020.JPG

Eastbound travel was last week, with three national parks along the way - White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, and Big Bend.
Two days around & in Big Bend; stayed at Ten Bits Ranch in between, then out to Marathon, TX:
Part2a.JPG

Part2b.JPG

More pics once I get them off my camera (yes, a Nikon, the old-fashioned way...). Main casualties: the sun roof rattles a bit now, and we lost the cover of the driver's side rear roof rack post. No idea how that happened; there aren't any trees on Old Ore Road in BBNP that could scrape that off...

First, a few pix from White Sands:

JMS_9695.JPG
JMS_9699.JPG
JMS_9704.JPG

It was really funny: Having grown up in snow country, and now I'm driving on the white stuff in White Sands - the back of my brain tells me 'be careful, it's slippery, looks like a little snow covering the ice...". And of course it's nothing like that, at all.

Last time I've seen anything similar was at Gulf Islands National Seashore, across from Pensacola, Fl.

(P.S. I'm aware I'll need to have the sensor of the camera cleaned by the professionals).

Just one from inside Carlsbad Caverns NP, and the view southward from the top:
JMS_9729.jpg

What you can see inside the caverns is near impossible to fit in the camera. Didn't use the flash; that seemed to be just wrong.

JMS_9773.JPG

A few views from Big Bend Ranch State Park, on the way from Presidio, TX to Terlingua, TX, including the first view of the Rio Grande since crossing it on I-10 in Las Cruces, NM
JMS_9781.JPG
JMS_9785.JPG
JMS_9793.JPG

Finally in Big Bend National Park; entered at Maverick Junction, then down Old Maverick Road to the Santa Elena Canyon Overlook, up Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive, check out Chisos Basin, then back out to Terlingua and on to Ten Bits Ranch. Views from Old Maverick Road, and of the mouth of Santa Elena Canyon. Not even a mile on Old Maverick Road, a fellow in an oncoming Dodge truck flags us down to tell us that the road is "really, really rough", that they turned around a few miles in, suggesting we ought to do the same. Well, turns out "really, really rough" means washboard from all the 2WD vehicles, such as the Toyota Camry coming up about 5 miles in... :)
JMS_9800.JPG
JMS_9804.JPG
JMS_9810.JPG

Last pic here is on the scenic drive northwards
JMS_9812.JPG

Last edited:
Next day we decided to try Old Ore Road, 26 miles, on the eastern side of the park, heading northwards. Upon inquiry, Park Rangers said "it's really really rough, and there are bad side-hilly spots...", and there was generally some snickering mixed with concern when those folks saw the GX. The Border Patrol officer about 1/2 mile in actually looked at our tires, inquired whether we had a spare tire and a jack, and suggested to stay in the middle of the road so we won't cut a tire down, and we'd be just fine. And he was right, we aired down to 28psi (from 40), and truly enjoyed the drive. Here are a few views:
JMS_9836.JPG
JMS_9840.JPG
JMS_9845.JPG

As for any off-camber spots - at one spot I put the rear tire in the air, there wasn't a good way to straddle the holes on a very short downhill, but not a real problem. Probably could have avoided the teeter-totter by stopping first and getting out to look. One oncoming truck (of a total of 3 vehicles we encountered) got into a downhill off-camber situation that might scare the uninitiated, but IMHO he drove it wrong - straddling the holes kept the truck level, and all 4 tires on the ground. And a few miles from the end, a truck with NPS volunteers flagged us down, again to warn us about some 'side-hilly' stuff. Again, we didn't see a real problem once we got there; Claudia was driving by now, and yes, one could have put the truck in an off-camber position at one spot. We both read it differently, and Claudia kept the truck perfectly level. All in all we had a great time in BBNP, and most likely will be back, probably with the 80s on 315s to drive the other dirt roads in the park.

And: airing up 31s (from 28psi back to 40psi for the road) is just so ridiculously quick (if you're used to airing up 37s from 16 to 38psi...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom