Bib + fender alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This one has bothered me for a bit and it’s making its way to the top of of the priority list...
Any thoughts on how to fix the issue in the photos? Basically the front left corner of the engine compartment is pushed toward the front of the vehicle an extra 1/2” or so. Seems like the fender is fine, but the panel on top of the fender seems like it’s maybe misplaced?

1D3DFAA4-BC1D-4790-A376-07F4B615C668.jpeg
ED431B60-0C06-4BBD-BE1A-FA1A51FF28C4.jpeg
FD723D76-DE63-43AB-967E-1FCFBD4AC5E5.jpeg
818AA8BC-1FD3-4D10-BF95-1E3CB0012FA4.jpeg

It almost looks like your cowl (firewall) is leaning back. How’s your door fitment?

looks like the fender needs worked a bit.

What exactly does that entail? Are we talking bending or loosening up some bolts and adjusting? I'm good with mechanical work, but never done any body work.

Is this the way the truck came to you or is this recent? If original, what do the 6 body mounts look like and status of the body mount bolts - tightness, esp. driver‘s side. Do you know the history of the rig as far as wheeling might have happen? If recent, have you been in a frame flexing condition, e.g, off roading over rocks, gullies? The little bit of upper bib displacement could be loose bolts that hold it to the apron (2 each side) and possibly also those to the inner fender. The hood displacement and cowl/fender angled offset are the most concern for finding and understanding the cause.

It almost looks like your cowl (firewall) is leaning back. How’s your door fitment?

Yeah. I see what you're saying. Door fit is decent (not perfect, but reasonable). I think it might look that way just because the hood sits a little low on that front corner, so the hood slants down rather than the cowl slanting up. When I did a little measuring it seemed like it was OK.

Is this the way the truck came to you or is this recent? If original, what do the 6 body mounts look like and status of the body mount bolts - tightness, esp. driver‘s side. Do you know the history of the rig as far as wheeling might have happen? If recent, have you been in a frame flexing condition, e.g, off roading over rocks, gullies? The little bit of upper bib displacement could be loose bolts that hold it to the apron (2 each side) and possibly also those to the inner fender. The hood displacement and cowl/fender angled offset are the most concern for finding and understanding the cause.

This is the way the rig came to me. I do not know the history.

The bib is snugged up on the bolts that hold it to the apron and fenders.

When I did a little more measuring, the rear end of the fender is about 1" higher on the driver side than the passenger side, but I think that is suspension. Looking underneath, the running board on the driver side isn't in contact with the support that comes off the frame. All the body mounts look old and flat, but definitely symmetrical.

Is there a shim under the passenger running board?

First, assumption is that hood hinge connections are all standard and in good shape, and body panels and components are relatively straight. So that angle between the apron and cowl comes from either the fender/apron/bib interconnected “system” being translated down, or the body/cowl “system“ being tilted up in the front. In either case, the hood fitment looks like yours, coming up short over the bib. The front system can only go down so far even with loose bolts on the fender frame mounts because of the bib hinge contact with the frame. But there is some movement allowed so you need to run the trapline on all the bolts and there connections, loosening and tightening as you progress through the alignment of the multiple pieces of that system. As far as the body, the only way to get upward tilt in the front without adding to the front body mount height is for the aft body mounts to have collapsed/be crushed. There should be about a 1/4” to 3/8” gap between running board and mount because there is a rubber shim between the two to allow for movement from from flex (like the body mounts).

And for both systems a bent frame will/can create those offsets and angles. Not much help here, but I’m in the middle of this big time (much worse conditions than you have), and I have no history of the rigs past, and with that it appears I have a bent frame. Good luck.

Hi, I would loosen all the bolts on the fender slightly so that it can be moved into correct position. Use a straight edge ( 4' level works) and get a straight line from the cowl and along the top edge of the fender. Then slowly tighten the 4 frame bolts. You might have to shim the fender to frame to get the proper line up. Once the fender is in line then tight the bib bolts and close the hood to check for alignment. Repeat until its perfect. It's not that hard once you start to play around with it.

Id check the fitment of the other side as well... Sometimes the other causes weird alignment on the one you're trying to fix. Keep in mind the whole front end balances on the bib hinge and nothing supports the setup until you get back to the fender arch supports and how the fender is aligned to the firewall...

This issue requires figuring out what is wrong. All the items , fenders ,hood, bib have a bit of tolerance to accommodate a good fit. If you cannot loosen all these items and fit well, then it becomes where everything bolts to, frame and/or suspension.

too many possibilities to list. I start with frame to tub. Is the frame square? Is the tub square ? Is the tub square on the frame? You can shift the tub on the frame 1/4".
If a panel or fender is tweaked a little, unbolting it allows it to spring out into a relaxed state. The front pieces in particular have gone through 40 or 50 years of
twisting and flexing

Lift the front bIb mount some maybe it is missing its spacer loosen the fender to frame bolts 4 on each side lossen bIb mount hinge and lift up the
BIb and see if it looks better

interesting theory...distinctly possible that I’m missing that spacer

That would effect both sides of hood alignment, looks like you just have an issue on the driver’s side.

Given all that advice that has been posted, I'd start with a beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom