BFG Tire Pressure and Rotation Schedule (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, as I just said in the other thread, I just purchased five new BFG AT 285/75/16s fom my wifes 93 FJZ. It is bone stock (well, it was until I put these tires on) and mostly used as a daily driver.

I have two questions. First, what tire pressure do you guys run in these tires? Second, what rotation schedule/pattern do you think I should use?

I was under the impression that you should rotate the spare into the mix, and do a rotation about every 5k miles. Does that sound right? I thought I saw the pattern I should use somewhere, maybe the FSM or the owners manual, but I cannot remember for sure.

thanks

Jared

the rotation pattern is in my 97 OM.
basically, front goes to back and back goes to opposite front, with the spare trading in for rear left, IIRC.

Pressure I guess for me would be the highest that :
- feels comfortable enough but
- not exceeding maximum stamped on tire and
- does not lead to overly worn center

E

My take on tire pressure

Air up tire to max. tire psi
Mark across the width of the tread with chalk
Roll tire across something that will show the imprint
Repeat while dropping air pressure each time
You are looking for all but ¼ on each side of the full print

Other things to consider
Front and rear are normally run at different pressures
Depending on the way your 80 is loaded left and right could be different also
Pressure changes with temperature and altitude unless you use nitrogen

If tire wear is even and smooth why rotate

Phil

To rotate or not to rotate. I think that is one topic that has never been resolved in previous threads

The confusing thing is that arguments for and against all seem to make sense. All wheel drive, visceous couplers , and all that stuff.

I bought 5 BFG's and planned to rotate all 5. That was about 24,000 miles ago and I haven't rotated at all. Being lazy I didn't need much to convince me.

I haven't measured the tread that's left, but they seem to be wearing evenly. In fact, they hardly look worn at all. I'll take some measurements in the morning.

Ed

29Mar2004 (UTC -8)

I rotate all five tyres... it gives me good chance to measure the tread depths and air pressures. But best of all, rotating all five makes them last longer between tyre purchases. And when I purchase new tyres, I wanna purchase new ones that are better tech than of old and not be stuck with an old, but unused and maybe different, spare tyre.

The big pro to rotating is that you have a viable high speed, long distance spare. This comes into play with the trucks with ABS and the VC. Otherwise you would need to limp to the nearest shop and have the original repaired. If it was a sidewall failure then your up the creak without a boat. The spare might be too different as well as a new one. This is especially true with the larger sizes as the can be more circumference differences in the wear cycle than in a smaller tire.

Having all tires off on a regular basis gives you a chance to check pads, rotors, and anything else that you can't get to without them off.

Steve
94' 120,000

and when the tires are off, you can check them for damage. Just did mine yesterday. Spent some time cleaning out all the stones imbedded in there as well. Some obviously having been there forever, with rubber all chewed up around them. Probably would have kept going deeper in if I had not removed them...
Eric

i have the same tire setup and would like to know the groups running pressure and if youve done the chalk thing, please give the press, thanks, or if you havnt but have had them on for a while and the tread looks good and even give the press please thanks.

Measured the tread depths.

23,000 miles - never rotated...

RF LF RR LR Spare
Center treads 12/32 12/32 11/32 11/32 16/32

Outboard treads 12/32 12/32 12/32 11/32 15/32

Inboard treads 12/32 12/32 11/32 10/32 15/32

Ed

I ran that tire for 3 yrs. At the end of prolly 40 thousand miles @ about 40 psi with only light wheeling, I sold them for 200 bucks. :D The wear pattern was great on them with only the sidewalls being left a little tired and chewed up. Don't get overly critical on preassure. Just remember to rotate every now and then and you will be fine.

Mine came with free lifetime rotation so it's a no brainer.

As for which tire pressure to run--The factory setting is 32psi cold all around. If you are carrying more weight, air up. If you want better gas mileage and don't mind a harsher ride, air up. I think somewhere in the 32-40psi (cold) is fine. I ran 38psi and it was too harsh and bouncy on the freeway for me. I'm down to 34psi and it is much better. This is with OME's and no extra weight.

[quote author=landandsea link=board=2;threadid=13842;start=msg128758#msg128758 date=1080579797]
Measured the tread depths.

23,000 miles - never rotated...

RF LF RR LR Spare
Center treads 12/32 12/32 11/32 11/32 16/32

Outboard treads 12/32 12/32 12/32 11/32 15/32

Inboard treads 12/32 12/32 11/32 10/32 15/32

Ed
[/quote]

What tire pressure are you running?

I ran a set of these for about 30k miles. Rotated them every 5k mi and had good even wear and appox 12/32" tread remaining. Started out running 32 psi, but found found that steering response was somewhat soft. Wound up running them around 36psi which seemed to be a good compromise between decent handling (or what passes for decent handling in an 80) and ride comfort.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom