Betsy the Farm Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you must have a pressure issue , is the charcoal canister full of gas?
Probably. Although, I think the canister on these trucks is supposed to be hooked up to a bowl vent, not a vacuum port as it previously was.

F150s have been made for so long with such sweeping changes along the way it is sort of difficult to figure this stuff out. Additionally, 85 was a split year. Halfway through they went to EFI so that further complicates stuff.

40s are not this confusing and the Toyota FSMs are soooo much better than Ford's.

Yeah if you have vaccum vs vent crossed or on the wrong port = problem . You might be able to find a shop manual online or reference as to the setup on that....as far as what hose plugs into what port...etc. Also depends on how you have to deal with emissions / inspection as to what you may want to do vs have to do.

That truck and the carb is a special circumstance. That truck is/was one of the special early EFI attempts. There is a computer under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. When I started looking into it, I was amazed the thing ran at all. The OE carbs had about 73 electronic solenoids on them to control everything on the carb, but when I got it and when I sold it to Hugh, it had all kinds of plugs/ bolts stuffed in the hoses and ports and was effectively a straight carb. Just fuel in, no choke and a throttle cable, but the dang thing ran great so I didnt Eff with it. Hell the dizzy was supposed to be advance electronically based on some feedback from a missing solenoid I'm sure, but none existed, so I'm not sure how the thing advanced or if it even does to this day.

I was going to go back to a duraspark II, swap in a vacuum advance dizzy and put a 600 hollrey on a clifford manifold if I had kept it.

I wonder if the bastardized carb situation could be contributing to your plight?

Since the computer in this truck is basically doing nothing, it has the distributor in limp mode which is 10° advanced. The options are:
1. Leave it alone - FREE
2. Dura Spark II from a junk yard - CHEAP AND EASIEST MOD
3. Install a vacuum advance dizzy with pertronix and a coil - MOST EXPENSIVE OF THE 3 AND NEEDS EXPERIMENTING

It is still running pretty good. I am going to have to do the front brakes and possibly replace the brake booster.

Drove Betsy loaded with lumber from Bristol to Rome. She started leaking oil something fierce. Took 4 quarts to get here. I am not sure where it is coming from but my first thought is the oil pan gasket.

She is not going to rust anymore though.

Last edited:
Lol, better than fluid film..

Just because it was a nice day and I wanted more space to see where my oil leak is coming from, the AC components came out today. Not having the condenser in the way may also help with cooling.
20200308_171029.jpg

I think the first thing I may try is a new oil pan gasket. That looks like it could be the culprit. The PS pump has a pretty good seep as well.
I need to get up to the car wash with some purple stuff and spray all the grime off really good.
Still runs like a champ. I was having some turn signal issues. I think it is the LED flasher. I pulled it out and shook.it and put it back in and the signals are working again. :meh:

Glad she got to stay in the herd.

I was looking at the oil pan on Bumble earlier this week and I fear I'm going to have to pull it soon too as it appears I didn't do a very good job putting the timing cover part of the pan back together when I did the water pump.

Stockpiling is one of my favorite hobbies ;)

But at this point, if I get one of these mandated vacations, I'll burn thru my current stash in a week or so...

Of course, I may not get one since keeping the water on is pretty is mportant.

I am not going to get one either. Our support staff are all teleworking but I am expected to continue trying to keep the special sauce at bay.

Last edited:
No chance for me either - been at work every day and needing more people by the hour. Our numbers are way up as other agencies have almost all closed and shelter in place doesn't mean a lot to those who have no place.

I am not going to get one either. Our supoort staff are all teleworking but I am expected to continue trying to keep the special sauce at bay.

Betsy has new front brake lines finally, new Warn hubs that came with her (thanks Jynx). I also discovered I had a clogged transfer case vent causing 90 weight to drip on my foot from the speedo cable and the rear diff vent was also clogged and it blew out the diff cover gasket. All fixed. Still need to do the pushrod cover gasket and oil pam gasket. I have a new turn signal switch too. Parts for an old '85 Ford are super cheap at Rockauto. Side cover gasket is $3.

I also ripped out all the old AC parts and replaced the AC blower switch. I now have effective defrost and I added a switch to run the AC blower motor. It is a ridiculously effective fan.

New master and booster in. Pretty sure the booster was original. It did not want to give up the truck. Adjusting the pushrod was a trick.

The right rear bleeder was packed with rust and crap. It also was not willing to come out easily.

Then for good measure, I replaced the turn signal switch. In a miracle, it seems to have solved several lighting issues including the brake lights. The old switch was pretty beat up and rusty. It was supe4 easy to swap it.

Of course now the interior turn signal indicators are not working but if I was to give up something I would prefer it that rather than barake lights.

Last week I again had turn signal woes.
They just suddenly stopped turning on. I have one green arrow eluminate on the dash but no blinky qnd ni lights.
I am runnin all LEDs in the truck qnd I have had plenty of issues with LEDs in cars.
Figuring I would go with the cheapest thing first I replaced the solenoid with one of these from Amazon and it was fixed!
Screenshot_20221104-092946_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The old china crap fleabay no load solenoid had apparently died after 5 years. Doesn't say much for it since I only drive Betsy a couple times a month.

No pic but Betsy keeps delivering. Over 1000 pounds in scrap steel dropped at the scrap yard (two trips). Total? $90 :lol:

But I did not have to pay to drop it at the dump so there is that.
Betsy got some scratches on her high dollar rattle can but I still have some to cover it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom