Besttop Reclining Bucket Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any Feedback on these seats on a 74? THANKS!

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.39.42 AM.png

I'll bite...
Since the original seat frames in my 81 were crumbling inside I replaced them with the Bestop Trail max recliners (different than what you have pictured). While it's great to have new supportive seats, at the end of the day they scream Jeep. If I had it to do over again I'd look at the Procars that many others have gone with. They look much more period correct and more Toyota than Jeep.

I'll bite...
Since the original seat frames in my 81 were crumbling inside I replaced them with the Bestop Trail max recliners (different than what you have pictured). While it's great to have new supportive seats, at the end of the day they scream Jeep. If I had it to do over again I'd look at the Procars that many others have gone with. They look much more period correct and more Toyota than Jeep.
Thanks, I'm trying to find something in stock right now that reclines and I want space for a center console. This seems to be a difficult task these days.

I'm having an FJ40, 1975, restored at present. Do the stock front seats on FJ40s slide to make room for taller, larger girth guys to provide room between the steering wheel and the belly. Or, is there a replacement sliding mechanism that allows a couple extra inches of space for the taller types. I'm 6' 1".

Stk 75 drivers seat has a slider adjustment. Mounting the seat further back has been done many times. I suggest using the search function. I think i adapted flat stk where seat brackets bolt and had it extend past the stk rear mtg bracket and then drilled new holes for the stk seat brackets. I think somebody offers a kit too. The rear fenderwell limits how far back you can go. I find mounting the seat further back and the frt up a little works well for me. I'm 6'8".

Last edited:
Actually, I did try to use the search function before making the initial entry here, but I probably did not do a thorough enough job. I will give it another try. But just the same, I appreciate knowing that accommodations can be made in this regard. If you're 6'8", I know there is a remedy for my issue. Thanks so much.

Thanks, I'm trying to find something in stock right now that reclines and I want space for a center console. This seems to be a difficult task these days.
@thebergler I’m pretty sure these seats don’t recline. You need to look at Corbeau or Procar or something similar. Are you missing your original 74 seats? With the cost of aftermarket seats plus brackets you could easily restore your originals if you still have them.

Here’s another option for you. Procar “pro 90”. Sliders and recline. I thought they looked more at home in a 40
I have heard the procar pro90 sits higher. I’m 6’3” and already have an issue with my thighs/knees hitting the steering wheel. Do you see this as well with the procars, is it even worse for tall people? I’m very lean, so part of me wonders if I could slide further back whether it would fix the problem.

I have heard the procar pro90 sits higher. I’m 6’3” and already have an issue with my thighs/knees hitting the steering wheel. Do you see this as well with the procars, is it even worse for tall people? I’m very lean, so part of me wonders if I could slide further back whether it would fix the problem.

I'm 6'2" and have the ProCar 90's in mine. They come with a 3-position height adjustment. I had to cut the two higher positions off of the bottom of my seats for the lowest position to work on my 1980 40 with the late-style gas tank, tub, and seat mounts. Even using the lowest mounting position, I sit an inch or more higher than in my stock seats. The ProCars have much thicker (and more comfortable) foam than my 40-year-old stock seats. They do slide back farther than the stock seats did. I don't have a problem with my thighs and knees hitting the steering wheel (though they are closer than they were - maybe even touching?) but my head/eyes are definitely higher in the cab and it is more difficult to see stop lights now. It's a trade-off, but the ProCars are so much more comfortable that it is worth it to me. If you only drive your 40 occasionally or just around town, they would probably not be worth it. But if like me you drive your 40 a lot including long distances, they are totally worth it for the comfort.

I’m also 6’3”. I went with the Procars to get me more legroom. Way better than the stock seat position. No problem with my knees hitting anything. The passenger side does sit a little higher.
I’d go this route again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom