best way to secure snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fawcusfitness.com
Well i just drilled the hole in my fender,
What is the best way to support the pipe? Just make a support and drill it in to the pillar? Or weld a piece onto the pillar then bolt that to a bracket that is welded on the snorkel? I am just using 3 inch pipe.
thanks
john

My safari snorkel has a flat bit which I screwed self tapers straight into the pillar.Been like it for 15 yrs now.I just retighten every few yrs and give a squirt of fish oil at the same time.Hope that helps

Hi Jzilla, Take a look at Airflo snorkel Vs Safari from Rosco fj73 Page 4/2 . Your set up sounds like what is fitted to my HJ75, see picture.My snorkel was damaged causing the bolt to rip the windscreen pillar.The body shop welded a new piece into the pillar. They then put a threaded section in this welder and placed it where it was to go, done in a second or so, no drilling or anything.Has been ok for about 3 years, as you can see someone has still not fixed the snorkel. :cheers:

jzilla said:
Well i just drilled the hole in my fender,
What is the best way to support the pipe? Just make a support and drill it in to the pillar? Or weld a piece onto the pillar then bolt that to a bracket that is welded on the snorkel? I am just using 3 inch pipe.
thanks
john
what i did when i used the 3" exhaust pipe as a snorkle was take some 1" wide strips of fairly strong steel, bend the strips into "C" shape, mold the fat section to match the contures of the body (in my case it was a B/FJ40) and bolt the shapes to the fender. then i positioned the pipe into the strips and welded them together. i used 2 along the body lines and one on the A piller. made for a very strong setup and looked good as well.
cheap, effective, strong...

The welder used on mine was a special unit though I can't remember what it was called.Was not a stick welder.The pannelbeater was actually using it to weld app 1in steel washers to the rocker pannel under the door of a car then hook a dolly with a sliding weight to draw the pannel out.The weld only consisted of hooking the earth to the car, put the washer in the hand piece, where ever it was touched on the pannel it was welded there, on edge so the puller could go through the washer hole.The paint around the area was not burnt, he then bent the washer back and forth to break it off. It was incredibly simple and so effective.To spot the stud on my pillar took only seconds.I would expect that most Canadian/USA body shops in larger cities would have more advanced gear than this town here.Suggest ring a couple and ask if they know what I am trying to explain.cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom