Best propane stoves/grill...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like zornff, I live at 8,000' and am regularly camped at 10k'+. I love the Camp Chef one of my good buddies has, but the thing is huge and expensive. So I took my old (60s or 70s vintage) Coleman triple burner and put the propane adapter on it as everything in my camp now runs on 20lb. propane (lanterns, stove, heater, fireplace;)). It works like a charm, plus there's none of that dealing with the stupid thing heating up and having flames, etc. I love it also for the old skool effect.:grinpimp:

That being said, if I didn't have anything and was looking to buy, it would be a Camp Chef.

Firing up the new stove for the first time.

New 2010 Camp Chef Denali camp stove on Vimeo

Also cooked a big dog on the grille part for part of my dinner, it worked great.
Did not even have to wash the grille grate off afterwards, and the dog was coated in sauce from its package.
Pretty sweet!

Thanks to everyone that gave their input on this post.;);)
I pulled the trigger with a ATS-50T and Bag for transport.
The weight ratio to BTU's is what made me choose this model
25,000 BTU's per burner x 2 burners at 20 lbs aluminum.

I'll probably get the legs (maybe) later on if I feel the need and or a griddle or grill.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Im thinking car camping now...:beer::beer::beer:

congrats i think you'll like it, i have the legs to free up space on a table, but really i can set it anywhere, even the tongue of the trailer often. i didnt see the need for a griddle since i take cast iron with me,,, dutch ovens and skillet. i do have the single grill, i use it when i want a quick grill, but i prefer grilling on coals.

Corey-

I've looking at the Danali and Rainier.

How large would you say the grill is on the Danali? I looked at the specs on the website, but it did not give any dimenstions.

I want enough room to do 4 items (burgers, chicken breasts, etc.). and like having the two burners as opposed to the Rainier.

G'day Byron.
I just measured it, it is 10"x7" edge to edge.
A little less space than that since you can not cook on the rolled part on top.

It might be a little tight to do four items at once like that.

First impressions....

Got my stove today..
Its big but, wicked light and it has a handle like the weekender does but its located on the back.
Me thinks that's cool :cool:

Comparing this to a Century or a coleman the burners on this thing are twice as big....:eek:

Although, on the front the LP hose connection is not on the way at all.
The hose do seems a tad short but I havent plugged it to a tank yet.

The bag has plenty of storage to throw other items in there (legs, griddle etc...);)

It says ATS-50T but out put is only 40k BTU's.. (not complaining just saying).
I think the previous ones (same model) were 50k BTU's...:rolleyes:

OK, I placed the new Lodge cast iron griddle on the stove and fired it up this morning, and I was cooking Kodiak pancakes at 6:30 am in 33 degree weather.

I shot the video with a GoPro HD camera at 720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate using their Chest Mount Harness.
This is a great camera, I bought it mainly for mountain biking.
However it is not the best in low light situations.
Video is wide angle, the camera has a few wide angle options, and an option to fill top and bottom of your screen (960p = 1280x960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate) but not fill in the sides.
I like the wide angle much better.
Some great sample videos the camera can do are here, but they have full screen disabled for some reason..

I let the griddle heat up a bit until a few drops pf water danced on the griddle according to the instructions on the box of Kodiak pancake mix.

The griddle worked great, first time in a long time I have used cast iron.
It pretty much was non stick as you can see in the video.
I may pick up a Dutch Oven in the future by Lodge too to test out at home and camping.

The griddle weighs a ton more than the Camp Chef Denali stove.
I think that I will be able to squeeze it into the case for the stove to make transporting it easier.

Have not cooked pancakes in awhile, last time was with that Shake and Pour stuff from Bisquick.
The Kodiak pancakes taste much better, in fact way better.
I am sold on them.
I used a plastic storage bottle with lid as you can see me pour the mix from in the video, so this mix is pretty much shake and pour too.
I used one cup of mix in the bottle first, then added in one cup of water, and I shook the crap out of for a few minutes to get it mixed up good.

Try the pancake mix, they are pretty good.

Video:
Testing the Lodge cast iron griddle on a Camp Chef Denali stove

pancakes.jpg

ATS 50 Camp Chef

I have an early version of the ATS50 by Camp Chef. It is the same stove, but with an all aluminum case. I have used it for about 7 or 8 years now and don't think I will need or want to replace it. It is tough, lightweight and it COOKS!

Hey yah Mike.
Good to hear from yah..

Thanks for the input that only makes me feel better.. as I went with the same (newer)model yah got !!

Thanks !!

You'll like the stove. Hope the trailer is giving good service. I like what you did with it...

I purchased the Camp Chef ATS-50T from Sports Mart/Sport Authority for our trip on the Mojave Trail. The highest altitude I utilized the stove was around 6,000 ft; it worked great. Its light weight but sturdy. It did hurt to scratch up the SS lid, I do want to purchase the legs so that I can leave the table at home. Though it wasnt a big problem, I would like to have the gas hose relocated to the back. The hose connection is resested, which is very helpful. You do have to watch your cooking time because this stove burns hot and uses allot of gas. I am new to propane, I have always used an old coleman white gas stove. besides that it is a great stove.
Propane.JPG
CookSetUp.jpg

Cool.. thanks for posting....
I bought the legs for mine as I will be camping on areas where there is nothing but open space ;)

Post up if you ever relocate the connection to the back...

here is what my wife brought home from lowes for $80.
toy4xfun-albums-bs-ii-picture13675-shanandoahcroosings2010-030.jpg

Could you provide more details about this grill? Maybe the brand and model, I went to Lowes website and did not find one like that. How do you like it?

Thanks

Bringing back this thread...
I just recently bought a Camp Chef BB50 Open grill box for my ATS.
Got it at Amazon for $42.97 with free shipping n no taxes.....

Its amazing how well this grill works even tho' it does not use a lid (too bulky, me thinks.)
We tried it this past weekend over a MTB weekend on very windy conditons and it performed flawlessly..
It cooked the near frozen Tri-Tip to perfection, Med-rare... and it did not drip any grease on to the stove burner.....

I have a partner's 2 burner with windscreen. Bought it off Craigslist. Works great, really rugged, looks cool. Have it hooked up to a 20 lb propane bottle. Hadn't seen the Camp Chef 3x3 before. Looks good, but it's heavy!

@Skillet You haven't stated your planned uses. Tailgating, camping, back patio bbq...Do you plan on travelling much with it? And how do you plan to pack it?

The Camp Chef is a beast (45lbs for base grill/legs). We have one that resides on our club's trailer with the griddle and bbq box. The 3-burner setup provides ample cooking space and there are plenty of accessories to adapt your cooking surface. The downsides are that its heavy, cumbersome and if packing with other gear, you'll need a transit bag.
http://www.outdoorcooking.com/exped..._a_7cTB90LWG&gclid=COCkwZXYv70CFbBj7Aodt3YAyg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom