Best model year for GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at the GX470 for an overland vehicle. According to my research, the 2005 is the year when VVT-i began and engine with most HP. Is this a major consideration when you guys bought your GX or is this a non issue?

If not, what is important when looking for one? I'm new to 4x4 so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I wanted a non VVT-i and non nav. I settled for non VVT-i but have nav. I didn’t want VVT-i because I didn’t want the problematic secondary air injection system. Yes, I’m aware it can be bypassed, but I’ve owned my truck for so long there wasn’t a ton of support when I bought it. Also, I guarantee you if you drive an 03-04 and then get in an 05+ without knowing the years, you won’t even be able to tell a power difference.

Best advice? Find the cleanest, most well maintained truck you can that’s within your budget and buy it, and don’t worry about the year.

2008-09 is the most updated and I like the clear rear lenses.

Avoid the nav at all costs. But if you're stuck with buying one with nav, then make sure it's newer than 2006. Mine is a 06 with nav and the bluetooth is only for phone calls and it blows even for that. If you like using bluetooth for music, don't buy 2006 or older with nav. They're pretty much all the same otherwise. I like to get the last of any generation run--they tend to have the most features and the most kinks worked out. I like the clear lenses like Homers said.

There are so many condition/maintenance issues with these that I don't think you can be too picky about the year. Agreed that the nav is weak in our '06, but my wife wanted a backup camera and it's her DD. Everything we own is older than this vehicle, so we don't really care about nav and phone integration.

Whatever you find, you MUST get the VIN go to the Lexus website and check for dash replacement and any other dealer-repairs. Mine had all the critical stuff done to it.

I think condition is the most important variable. More important than any features the car has or if it has vvti or not. Vvti isn’t that big of a deal and most people would be hard pressed to notice it. If a backup camera is what you want then you are looking for a navigation gx from 04+.

i have an 06 with navigation in not my favorite exterior color. I bought it exclusively because it was in the best shape mechanically and visually of any gx I could find locally and had great maintenance records and had a black interior and fit my budget.

my fix for the factory navigation was to replace the cd changer and in a grom vline 2 to give me CarPlay. I don’t use the factory Bluetooth, instead I use the vline for my Bluetooth calls. No issues there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom