Best Mod for under $100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_4070.JPG
You can still adjust up and down.... night pics to come

Is it strong enough to hold up in a decent wind? I am now in the habit of locking my door open so it doesn't blow shut on me.
Yes, its great. When I'm backed up the incline of my driveway, it will push the door open after I pop the handle. It has to be physically pushed closed. They really should have come this way.

Posted these on other threads, but didn't want this thread to die. I've done a few sub $100 mods recently. Top LED bar was $88, lower LEDs were about $30 each, sanded and painted my new-to-me wheels (do the wheels also count as under $100 if I made money selling my Lexus chrome wheels and buying these?). Maybe painting wheels isn't a true mod but I'm putting it here anyway.

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

@GXLee -
  • wheels - awesome - where'd you pick those up (CL)?
  • LEDs - awesome - how did you mount/wire the top one?

@GXLee -
  • wheels - awesome - where'd you pick those up (CL)?
  • LEDs - awesome - how did you mount/wire the top one?

Thank you- I picked up 4 wheels on CL locally for $250, and then bought the spare on eBay for $75 shipped so you can't beat that. All were "take-offs" that hadn't seen any miles so were really easy to clean, sand and paint. I have to give props to a 4R owner who goes by Fargo 4X4 on Ig who painted his wheels this same way. I had been browsing through literally 100's of wheel options and never would have considered these in silver. But as soon as I saw them in this color with the KO2s I fell in love. Perfect offset, great price, and now with the Lexus emblem they're also unique enough for me. ;)

The light bar wiring was pretty straight-forward, and I'll grab some pics later today, but I ran the wiring towards the windshield under the gutter lining, then stuffed it into the channel next to the windshield, under the hood and into the engine bay. The switch wiring was pushed through a hole I made in a rubber grommet between the engine bay and cabin on the far drivers side. Then dremelled a cut out for the rocker switch next to the side mirror switch. It's not super clean, but I like the ease of it. I moved some switches around (had to re-notch the openings) so the light bar switches were next to each other. Overall I don't think it turned out too bad, but someday I may decide to get some Toyota-sized switches and redo that area. We will see. I posted a bit more about the mounting here: What Did You Do With Your 120 Today?

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

Last edited:
In our move from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to the GX470 we found ourselves missing the backup sensors. Neither my wife or I found ourselves using the jeep's backup camera but did like the false reassurance that the backup sensors give. Our non-nav GX doesn't have a stock camera and I just couldn't get comfortable with any of the aftermarket stereo options.

Off to Amazon I went and this little product seemed to fit the bill. Amazon.com: CAR ROVER Parking Sensor Buzzer Alarm BIBI Sound Reverse Backup Radar With 4 Black Sensors: Car Electronics

I'm horrible about taking pictures but I will say that the hardest part of the installation was removing the back door panel to gain access to the reverse lights. With the large panel off I spliced into the wiring for the reverse light and ran my two wires through the stock wiring hose/grommet. I then removed the passenger side rear panel and placed the control box and the beeping device next to the subwoofer. The beeping device is loud enough to be heard clearly from the front seat so I didn't have to fool with running wires to the dash.

Up next was to choose where the sensors would be mounted. There are four sensors total and I spread them out evenly. Here is a terrible picture showing where I mounted the sensors.
2wXuRmyl.jpg

2wXuRmyl.jpg

The provided hole saw worked fine on the plastic bumpers. The only surprise was the amount of foam directly behind the bumper. A little work with a large drill bit provided enough recess for the sensor to fit when installed. Routing the wiring into the rear was simple and everything hooked up nicely.

I have tested it out and my wife is happy. For $20 and 1 1/2 hours it was a fun little project.

Bill D.

In our move from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to the GX470 we found ourselves missing the backup sensors. Neither my wife or I found ourselves using the jeep's backup camera but did like the false reassurance that the backup sensors give. Our non-nav GX doesn't have a stock camera and I just couldn't get comfortable with any of the aftermarket stereo options.

Off to Amazon I went and this little product seemed to fit the bill. Amazon.com: CAR ROVER Parking Sensor Buzzer Alarm BIBI Sound Reverse Backup Radar With 4 Black Sensors: Car Electronics

I'm horrible about taking pictures but I will say that the hardest part of the installation was removing the back door panel to gain access to the reverse lights. With the large panel off I spliced into the wiring for the reverse light and ran my two wires through the stock wiring hose/grommet. I then removed the passenger side rear panel and placed the control box and the beeping device next to the subwoofer. The beeping device is loud enough to be heard clearly from the front seat so I didn't have to fool with running wires to the dash.

Up next was to choose where the sensors would be mounted. There are four sensors total and I spread them out evenly. Here is a terrible picture showing where I mounted the sensors.
2wXuRmyl.jpg

2wXuRmyl.jpg

The provided hole saw worked fine on the plastic bumpers. The only surprise was the amount of foam directly behind the bumper. A little work with a large drill bit provided enough recess for the sensor to fit when installed. Routing the wiring into the rear was simple and everything hooked up nicely.

I have tested it out and my wife is happy. For $20 and 1 1/2 hours it was a fun little project.

Bill D.

That's pretty cool....would be an interesting option to add into an aftermarket bumper, too. How does it perform compared to OEM sensors?

That's pretty cool....would be an interesting option to add into an aftermarket bumper, too. How does it perform compared to OEM sensors?

Works great and the sensors look identical to those on my F-150.

Nice truck, Lee. What wheels are those?

Posted these on other threads, but didn't want this thread to die. I've done a few sub $100 mods recently. Top LED bar was $88, lower LEDs were about $30 each, sanded and painted my new-to-me wheels (do the wheels also count as under $100 if I made money selling my Lexus chrome wheels and buying these?). Maybe painting wheels isn't a true mod but I'm putting it here anyway.

View attachment 1375388

I can't believe I never posted a link to the Ultra Gauge website. This is a must have, I transferred it from my parted out 80 to the GX and now they have a wireless version that connects to your phone and either one is only $79
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool and Information Center

I can't believe I never posted a link to the Ultra Gauge website. This is a must have, I transferred it from my parted out 80 to the GX and now they have a wireless version that connects to your phone and either one is only $79
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool and Information Center
Does that give you transmission temp on the GX? I could only find reference to Tacoma and tundra on their website.

Here is a use for that space above the console. I considered switches but the angle was too weird for various rockers I wanted to use.

Instead installed a couple of small cell Mag Light flashlight clips to hold my 170 Lumen 4Sevens Tactical Flashlight. About 10 bucks including shipping. I used the included screws along with double stick tape and it is rock solid.

Now the light secure and easy to access.

GX470 Flash Light.JPG

Here is a use for that space above the console. I considered switches but the angle was too weird for various rockers I wanted to use.

Instead installed a couple of small cell Mag Light flashlight clips to hold my 170 Lumen 4Sevens Tactical Flashlight. About 10 bucks including shipping. I used the included screws along with double stick tape and it is rock solid.

Now the light secure and easy to access.

View attachment 1404390
How was it drilling for the screws to that trim piece? I want to mount my HAM radio face plate their.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom